Author Topic: Ground cutter / grass  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Ground cutter / grass
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
Im curious about your opinion about this feature. Is anyone having this option enabled?
I mean, its something real nice as an eye candy, but it limits the hull-down usage of tanks. If you are hiding behind a ridge, there is a position when you cant see (blinded by the grass) but the opponents can see you (grass does not appear at that distance). I "guess", even tho it was a longly waited feature, most of the players just disable it to gain some GV-ing advantage. What do you think about it? Is there any possible way to improve this?

Also. I "think", my computer isnt as bad, quad core AMD phenomII at 3.6 GHz, 8 gigs of system RAM, Radeon HD 5830, AH is on an SSD... runs this game pretty good anyways. But whan i have the ground cutter enabled, and dive down to the deck, my frame rate goes down to 6-7 for a couple seconds then it raises back up to the normal 60. Guessing my system needs some time to load the geometry and the textures to the memory. Would it be possible to get an option to store the ground cutter in the memory even when im flying at an altitude?

Thanks, Debrődy
AoM
City of ice

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Ground cutter / grass
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
I do like it.

Your right though it gives the opponent the advantage by having it switched off.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
Im curious about your opinion about this feature. Is anyone having this option enabled?
I mean, its something real nice as an eye candy, but it limits the hull-down usage of tanks. If you are hiding behind a ridge, there is a position when you cant see (blinded by the grass) but the opponents can see you (grass does not appear at that distance). I "guess", even tho it was a longly waited feature, most of the players just disable it to gain some GV-ing advantage. What do you think about it? Is there any possible way to improve this?

Also. I "think", my computer isnt as bad, quad core AMD phenomII at 3.6 GHz, 8 gigs of system RAM, Radeon HD 5830, AH is on an SSD... runs this game pretty good anyways. But whan i have the ground cutter enabled, and dive down to the deck, my frame rate goes down to 6-7 for a couple seconds then it raises back up to the normal 60. Guessing my system needs some time to load the geometry and the textures to the memory. Would it be possible to get an option to store the ground cutter in the memory even when im flying at an altitude?

Thanks, Debrődy
your video card is running out of Vram and that slows things down alot. disable triple buffering. it hogs 50% of your Vram most of the time
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »

I agree. I consider this a problem but I won't use the c word. It's a legal option in the game that allows a larger customer base for htc.

As a terrain builder, I asked a few players what settings they were running, and what I found is that some who can run high end graphics usually don't because of the advantage it gives them, both in the air and in GVs.

Full disclosure:
I build terrains so it irritates me no end when players disable the eye candy I spend days installing.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »
Remember way back when you could do the same thing with trees? But ground clutter is more of an option than trees.. I turned mine off for these reasons. I don't like being at a disadvantage simply because of my PC, especially when lesser PCs get the advantage, like lower the tree graphics to run, but hey, now we can see all the hidden GVs!

I'd recommend until certain things are refined just shutting it down for now. The eye candy is nice, but we've made do with less.  :old:
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
I disable it while in a plane, but keep it when in a GV. I like the eye candy; dying isn't much fun, but it's a game and I just re-up. If people have rigs that can handle it but disable it for an advantage, then I feel sorry for them.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
The only way I can run it without frame loss is to run my OC settings on my video card which I only do occasionally so most of the time it's off.  If my machine was just a tad stronger I'd leave it on full time becasue I like it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
I have it disabled for purely aesthetical reasons. The short range at which it is rendered makes it look as if I'm carrying a rug of grass with me while moving around.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I shut it off...my 2.9 GHZ Duel core system, don't like it on(the only thing I can have on is detailed water...detailed terrain..and Bump mapping)....and besides who gives a crap what the ground looks like from 10K.....

maybe if I liked GVing I would be disappointed I couldn't run it on.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
It's not just an issue of someone turning grass off to gain an advantage; the grass only renders at very short range so if you are trying to go hull down just short of a ridge you can't see over because of the grass, but the enemy on the flats beyond the ridge can see you, whether or not they have grass turned on, because they are far enough away that no grass renders at the ridge line.  There's nothing that can be done about it (can you imagine the fps hit if the game rendered grass out beyond ca 3K?)

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
2.7 ghz dual core processor, 3 gb of ram, integrated video card. - only reason I know that is because the little "system properties" thingy told me  :confused:
Anyway on the lowest graphics possible I run a max of 25 FPS...soo...yeaaa....about the whole grass thing...must be nice?  :headscratch:  :bhead
 :lol
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:37 AM »
2.7 ghz dual core processor, 3 gb of ram, integrated video card. - only reason I know that is because the little "system properties" thingy told me  :confused:
Anyway on the lowest graphics possible I run a max of 25 FPS...soo...yeaaa....about the whole grass thing...must be nice?  :headscratch:  :bhead
 :lol
No kidding. I run on an AMD 5000+ with integrated graphics. It's so crappy I had to turn off everything and it looks like AH1 10 years ago, yay. :(

Maybe that's why the F6F fight we had was so good. Battle of the crappy rigs :D

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
I don't need blades of grass, I turn it off.
Grass is ok, just eats FR and is something I can do without.
                                                                                                                     :cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »
My question was:
is there any possible way not to be a disadvantage using this eye candy? I really like it and looks great but its frustrating when they can shoot you and you cant shoot back.
Also, maybe Skuzzy could help me out with the "texture loading-in" issue when diving to the deck.
AoM
City of ice

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
I leave it turned off. I need all the frame rate I can get
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales