Author Topic: trojans and firwall  (Read 1718 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: trojans and firwall
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
I have enabled "scriptno"
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
I have enabled "scriptno"

Ya but just because you ate all the pies doesnt mean you still cant throw them at it!  Cow pies come to mind!! :devil

:salute

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
Ya but just because you ate all the pies doesnt mean you still cant throw them at it!  Cow pies come to mind!! :devil

Rest in pies
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Rest in pies

Anyone seen the movie"the help"????   yum chocolate pie! :O

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
That makes no difference.

Nothing beats good AV, something that runs behavioral based protection. Personal firewalls like Windows firewall are a waste of CPU overhead.

That goes without saying. I didnt realize we were writing an all-inclusive safety guide. Anyone on the net without AV doesnt belong on the net.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
this thread reminded me... im over due for my malwarebytes and MSE scan.....  :lol
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 03:46:51 AM »
I think "Scripno" is a good bit of advice :old:

MSE did not stop Trojan  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
Scriptno and similar products are good advice, indeed.

As for antivirus programs not finding trojans may be due to the long wake-up time of modern nasties. Some of them have been known to sleep half a day... Like my kids...

Several antivirus programs check things only once and then mark them as checked and if there's a sleeping piece of innocent looking code in the temp folder, saying something like "at shutdown download code from this link and run before antivirus starts". The downloaded file may contain instructions similar to "at startup, disable <Brand> antivirus and run this instead".

So, the antivirus may well be good and working, but it can be tricked. Removing temp files after surfing - or, as I do, automate the removal - associated with a script blocker prevents such delayed behaviour quite efficiently without crippling easy surfing too much.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
That goes without saying. I didnt realize we were writing an all-inclusive safety guide. Anyone on the net without AV doesnt belong on the net.

Crikey, I haven't belonged to the net for 5-6 years then! I wonder what I'm doing wrong by not catching a single infection in that time! :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
Crikey, I haven't belonged to the net for 5-6 years then! I wonder what I'm doing wrong by not catching a single infection in that time! :D

you dont watch enough pron.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
you dont watch enough pron.

semp

Quite the contrary. I browsed stumbleupon links today for example. When you browse the right way you don't need AV nor need to worry. I.e. don't use windows and block scripts.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
Quite the contrary. I browsed stumbleupon links today for example. When you browse the right way you don't need AV nor need to worry. I.e. don't use windows and block scripts.

i know seen your posts before.  it was just a joke  :salute.  however you are very knowledgeable in puters but your posts tends to make some people think they have the knowledge to not get a virus.  almost everybody needs an av  there's only a few who dont.  I can probably do without an ava, not because i am knowledgeable, but because I am not stupid enough to fall for most tricks, however i learned by getting tricked to begin with  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »
i know seen your posts before.  it was just a joke  :salute.  however you are very knowledgeable in puters but your posts tends to make some people think they have the knowledge to not get a virus.  almost everybody needs an av  there's only a few who dont.  I can probably do without an ava, not because i am knowledgeable, but because I am not stupid enough to fall for most tricks, however i learned by getting tricked to begin with  :D.

semp

One example: My mother has a desktop computer (one of my ex). Regularly about twice per year she calls me she has a virus or malware and I need to come to fix it. She always had an up to date AV running too. The last time the bug was a nasty one, after removal all file associations etc. were gone. I got tired and installed Ubuntu on her computer despite her protests.

Granted it took some time to teach her where to find stuff and which programs to use instead of the old windows ones (+ get the printer/scanner working) but after that the calls about viruses just stoped. I was in peace for about 2 years. Untill she bought a new windows 7 laptop  :t

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 02:37:56 AM »
Get a Mac  :banana:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »