Author Topic: joining a squad  (Read 1030 times)

Offline tyronehoza

• Zinc Member
joining a squad
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
how do you pick a squad?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: joining a squad
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »
 You can post in the squadron forum that you're looking to join a squad.

I suggest you do a trial run with a squad to be sure it's a good fit for you.

:salute

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Enjoy the game, observe squads and their behavior for a while.  Narrow down the candidates to ones that might fit your likes.  From there approach them ingame or through the squad forums about possible membership.  Most important thing of all, don't rush!  Your squad will find you eventually.  Good luck and welcome to Aces High.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
Do what you are doing. Ask and learn about each squad and how they fly. There are a lot of great Squads out there to pick from. Figure ouot if you want a squad that does FSO only or is MA based , or both. Do they get together and fly on certain nights that you are available? Start with these and you will have a great time ! I know I do .
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
how do you pick a squad?

The 113th Lucky Strikes, a P38 squad, is always looking for pilots to wing up for a flight, or an hour,  or an evening or to join the squad.  Check out our AH Wiki page at

http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

We fly as Knights every Saturday evening in a late war arena, we begin operations around 7:00PM EST.  Vox 113.  CO is Gunston, XO is Traveler.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
And dont limit yourself to 1 country.....there are great people, and squads on all 3    :aok

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
There are squads that focus on ground vehicles, Navy birds, German Iron, etc. One has a few members that like to drink tea and fly mostly Spits. There are also some great bomber squads, 91st seems to be the standard bearer there.

Sort out what your style is, then look at those squads that suit your flavor. On the main page on the tab for "community" when the drop down box comes up you joined "forum" to post your question. Go down a few more spots and you'll see "squads." Go to that page and sort around. You can see see who they are, members, etc. Some of them have great home pages linked there.

I would go shopping, find half a dozen that look interesting then put in the research, fly some hops with them, etc. Ask around, people are happy to talk smack about how bad squads are though plenty of strong leaders who will give you great assessments of squads. My first answer about great squads, some have lots of trash thrown at them though there isn't a bad squad in the game. A few much stronger then most, maybe 10 or so really reside at the top of the heap.

To borrow the motto of a public charter school that operates over 100 schools nationwide, with some of the best results around. It fits here:

"Work hard, play nice"

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
Be wary of the strict squads.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
People make the squad, make sure the personalities involved are a good fit as much as anything they do in the game.  It also can be good to understand that as much as a player can represent a squad a squad also represents the player.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Definitely fly with the squad for a while before joining.  I'd suggest flying with at least a few prospects before picking one.

Green Channel, The forum and 200 are good places to post too.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Fly with a squad as a spectator, find out what kind of personalities are in the squad, make sure to ask a million questions like do they have in house trainers. Some squads have veteran players that help you 1 minute and thats it - you want someone to take you under their wing and teach you the ropes.

I have yet to run across a bad squad....you just have to find one which your personality and skill fits - if you enjoy buffs, then a buff squad, or fighter jock a fighter squad, nothing is wrong with how you play just have fun and learn while at it.

JG 52

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
how do you pick a squad?

My first squad picked me.

I was out of fuel on a beach and asked on country if anyone could help me get fuel.  It was my first day in Aces High and I had no idea what to do.

vDOGFITE was in the area, saw me on the beach, and spent 30 minutes or so helping me get started.  He let me follow him along for a few days and then asked me if I want to join his squad.  Of course I said yes, wanting to learn as much as possible.

:salute vDOGFITE and the Devils =v= Brigade. :rock

My 2nd squad picked me too.  I fought SFOX and he pummeled me over and over.  Then he said... "If you join my squad, I'll teach you how to fight."   He did, and I learned from him and many others.  Was lots of fun.

:salute SFOX and the 335th Fighting Eagles. :rock

:old:  There are many nice people in Aces High who are also very willing to help.

:)

At the time I typed on the "Green" channel, turned out to be country.  I thought green was a good color so I chose it first.  Got lots of help on that channel, although from what I've learned since there is a help channel as well. :angel:

Now I like to talk on 200 (the enemy is there). :devil
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:15:22 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline tyronehoza

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »
thank you, i will do what i know to do while i learn and wait.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »
One piece of advice, try and find a squad that flys everything. How to fly a P-47 is completely different from how to fly a Ki-84, which is completely different from how to fly a 109. But its all usefull to learn, and it will all help make you a better pilot.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
And dont limit yourself to 1 country.....there are great people, and squads on all 3    :aok

This.

When I first joined i was a nit, but kept getting killed by these III/JG2 guys who were rook.  Built up great respect for them and joined their squad after a while.  
II/JG3 DGS II