Author Topic: 2 computers 1 monitor  (Read 937 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
2 computers 1 monitor
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
 Looking for some help and advice.

I want to connect 2 computers to a single monitor,it only has 1 connection.

I've looked at a couple KMV splitters but to be honest I havent a clue.

Any advice,tips,help would be appreciated.

:salute

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: 2 computers 1 monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
I have used a KVM switch. I could easily switch between the two PC's using the same keyboard, mouse and monitor for each. It was years ago and the connections were ps2 for mouse and keyboard and the standard style pin monitor connection , but they do have them with USB and I'm sure DVI or whatever it's called or can use adapter for monitor.

It didn't allow me to use the same speakers for both PC's but maybe there is a switch for that too.

It had both a button on the unit and you could also use a hot key to switch between the PC's.

It worked quite well and I never had any problems with it that I recall.

KVM switch would be the term to search for I believe.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:56:18 PM by jimson »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
If all you want to do is share just the monitor, look into an A/B switch for the video input your monitor is using. If you want to use the keyboard mouse and monitor, then a KVM switch is what you want.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
 I think the KVM switch is the way I want to go,just dont know enough about them and if 1 is better than another. While searching them I found some have audio also so a single mic and speakers or headset can be attached to the unit.

Basically what I want is to setup a game machine and a daily "work" machine to the same monitor and make the interface easy so I wont be tempted to "work" on the game machine.

I have a second monitor so it's not a big deal,but you get used to a 55 inch screen and it's hard to watch a little 24... :devil

I'm mostly conserned about the affect on the picture signal if any and any expereince others may have.

Thx.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:04:03 AM »
I've used a couple of them, without the sound jacks, though. The first one was a rugged box with sturdy buttons for four monitors plus daisy chain mode, modular with detachable cables. I sold it to a small company who still use it. The next one was a smaller one by Aten with two fixed cable sets. It only works with a hot key on the keyboard. The only complain I have is that there's something wrong with the other monitor cable, the picture sometimes lacks red. A fellow ordered one with USB, haven't heard him complain.

My advice: Get one with flexible silicon cables, exchangeable if possible. Plastic cored stiff cables always seem to bend in the wrong direction, making a terrible heap of spaghetti. OTOH dust bunnies seem to like it, makes them feel safe I guess...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:40:04 AM »
I use a Belkin ?Flip DVI KVM to switch between desktop PC and Macbook, cheap and works great :aok

it switches audio too but I dont bother with that.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:43:52 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »
That's what I do. Saves desk space. It's a bit expensive but I'd like to get one that also does 5.1 surround sound.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
I used a 4-port Startech kvm switch for four years or so and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately Startech products are a bit pricey but very reliable. I believe I paid around $50.00 fours years or so ago. Mine came with all the cables and P/s I needed, although you can buy longer cables if needed.

This is the one I bought, available at Amazon: (You can probably find it from those clowns at newegg if you don't mind having your privacy invaded...)

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-4-Port-Switch-Cables-SV411K/dp/B00006B8EN/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1338218498&sr=8-62

You could also use Ultra Vnc if you have both systems on a network or if they both have internet access. It's free, it doesn't go through anyone's servers, (direct via ip address),so what you're doing can't be monitored, (if the server owner so decides), and  it's what I use now in place of the Kvm switch. Just install the server on the second system, and set it up, (not too hard - make sure to use the dsm plugin).

On your main system install the client, (viewer). When you run it, you type in the network address of the computer you want to log into, enter the password you setup and you're good-to-go. You can even use it to access a friend's system over the internet for tech support, or vice-versa.

http://www.uvnc.com/

Hope that helps...

Wabb

Thunder Mob Primary Target Drone

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:31:50 AM by wabbit »
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
  Thanks alot guys,anyone know of trendnet,they have a KVM switch that seems to offer what I want. It comes with all cables{seperate},usb and audio and cost about $30.
 Iogear and linskey both offer the same with slight differences,no seperate cables,for about same price.

any opinions on makes?    Also,do these have any affect on picture quality?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
those cheap trendnets tend to crap out with regular use. had 20 of the 4 port units at the office and all but 2 died in the first year. they got swapped out for more expensive iogears.

surprisingly the startech units are pretty good for low cost kvm switches, if you can find one with the features you want.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
I have two computers hooked to one moniter by using a hdmi and a vga plug.  When I want to use the second computer I turned first computer off, then the moniter off.  I then turn on second computer and RE energize moniter.
AkCaine

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Heya Morfiend,

not sure if you have decided on which direction you want to go or not..... but below is what I have been using for a good while without an issues at all

I have 4 PCs hooked up back home and I also use a Netgear 5 Port  Gigabit switchbox to provide my internet & home server connections in this particular pc room / old work office.......

IOGEAR GCS1104 4-Port USB DVI KVMP Switch with Audio and Cables ( has 3 yrs parts/labor warranty )

newegg link:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399062

I chose this model because it comes with the DVI type monitor connections.......... they have others that support dual or multi monitors, etc........ but they used the old vga type monitor connections ( HDB15 or something like that )

you can get a 2 PC to 1 monitor/mouse/kb/speakers   version still, I think...........

holler at me if I can be any help, Bro  <S>

Johnny ( TC )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC