Author Topic: What does "Skill" mean to you?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What does "Skill" mean to you?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
Aside from mastering the game mechanics and Basic Flight Maneuvers (basic skills), there are advanced skill sets.

The detailed list would be very long, but it starts with Situational Awareness. Everything else is born of SA. Using the map to determine where and how many enemy are in your sector and surrounding sectors. Using the map to determine where the nearest threat is. Using visual observation where the actual enemy is relative to you, while determining his E state and the level of threat. Doing this for multiple enemies within visual range is essential for dealing with all of them effectively. Of course, SA is equally important on the offensive as well as defensive.

Command of Air Combat Maneuvering (this is something you cannot learn without practicing... Read Shaw at the very least)
Accurate judgement of enemy E states (without this ability, you cannot assess threats reliably)
Wingman tactics (learning to fly effectively as a mutually supporting team)
Mastery of aircraft (knowing the true ability of your aircraft, even every aircraft, and being able to exploit strengths and avoid weaknesses. Being able to exploit the weaknesses of the enemy aircraft)
Gunnery (the best killers are usually the best shots as well)

Last thoughts: Concentrate on being as good as you can be, without comparing yourself to others. Some players have a higher talent level for this than others, just like in athletics or academics. If you find yourself dwelling on others, you will enjoy the game far less. Few, if any of us, have the talent to be professional baseball players, but we can certainly enjoy the weekend softball league and have fun. So, above all... Have fun. Just remember that a little practice and skill development can add to that fun (just like playing softball).

(edited typo)

A philosophy I wish not only every player read, but understood and followed. <S>

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

Last thoughts: Concentrate on being as good as you can be, without comparing yourself to others. Some players have a higher talent level for this than others, just like in athletics or academics. If you find yourself dwelling on others, you will enjoy the game far less. Few, if any of us, have the talent to be professional baseball players, but we can certainly enjoy the weekend softball league and have fun. So, above all... Have fun. Just remember that a little practice and skill development can add to that fun (just like playing softball).

(edited typo)

I wish Widewing was my neighbor, he's somebody I've looked up to in this game since I came in.  He's extremely wise.

That quote above is what frustrates a lot of players in this game.  As a trainer you find you can spend one hour with one guy to get to a certain point but may take 3 for another.  Some just pick this stuff up like a sponge while others need it beat into them it seems.  If you are of the latter type it can get very frustrating.  Usually there is a point in there where the light flips on, and that's what the trainers work for.  So if your having trouble, stick with it and work for it.  The light will eventually flip on and the game will become more enjoyable for you.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
Skill is:
giving up the advantage, fighting the opponents fight but still winning.
There are a couple out there thinking the same way and i LUV playing with them.

Exactly! The pilots you really have to look out for are the ones who stick around for the fight, even when out numbered.  :aok

The really good sticks of this game can take their planes to the very limit of the capabilities and then take it one step even further.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:52:13 AM by Latrobe »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
Exactly! The pilots you really have to look out for are the ones who stick around for the fight, even when out numbered.  :aok

The really good sticks of this game can take their planes to the very limit of the capabilities and then take it one step even further.

I excell fighting outnumbered and in an inferior plane. I can hang in there for many seconds.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
No...   ...this list is not a jab ant ANYONE!!!  These are some of the things that have gotten me killed.  As you can tell, I have no skill (well, not much skill).

:devil

1.  Knowing how to HO without dying.
2.  Knowing how to pick.
3.  Knowing how to turn fight.
4.  Knowing how to convince (on channel 200) the guy you are fighting they are doing it wrong and get them to come back and fight the wrong fight in the plane they are in.
5.  Knowing how a map works (which bases to take and in what order).
6.  Knowing the plane you are in and the plane you are up against.
7.  Knowing how to score kills against superior numbers and somehow land them there kills.
8.  Knowing how to kill GVs for air or land (or from the 8 inch guns near a beach).
9.  Knowing the concept of the game (play your way and have fun doing it).
10. Knowing how to bomb manually (Most FSOs and AvA).
11. Knowing how to shut down any size airfield, white flag the town, and get troops out...   ...all in one pass.
12. Knowing how to fight a 5 to 10 minute white knuckle, sweaty dog fight, and win or lose, salute your opponent regardless of the outcome, then review the film (win or lose) to see how you can improve.

There are many perceptions of skill in this game.  I hope I identified some of them.  

I don't want to hihack the thread, but as an example...   It is always funny to me to see someone that got killed by someone elses HO, call out the HO person as a no skill person, even if that HO person is still flying and the complainer is in the tower.  HOing is part of the game (unfortunately), it will never go away.  I try to never HO on the first 3 merges unless I am WAY outnumbered.  I sometimes line up like I am going to HO so I can see how to avoid getting hit from it.  The simple fact is, if you can HO someone and live through it without damaging your plane, that is skill.  If you HO ram, then that (in my mind) is no skill.  But, if I get HO rammed while defending, I am assuming I am close to troops and that was a last ditch effort to keep me from getting close to their troops.  In that scenario, it would make sense.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents.

:rock

If you ho and get no damage it is likely because the other guy was trying to duck your ho or did not fire.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
Knowing when to pull the cable........and when to plug it back in.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Skill is to do the opposite of SHawk    :D

mobilis in mobile

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
I wish Widewing was my neighbor, he's somebody I've looked up to in this game since I came in.  He's extremely wise.

That quote above is what frustrates a lot of players in this game.  As a trainer you find you can spend one hour with one guy to get to a certain point but may take 3 for another.  Some just pick this stuff up like a sponge while others need it beat into them it seems.  If you are of the latter type it can get very frustrating.  Usually there is a point in there where the light flips on, and that's what the trainers work for.  So if your having trouble, stick with it and work for it.  The light will eventually flip on and the game will become more enjoyable for you.

BigRat

I wish I lived next to Big Rat so he could come over and log in as me...truth.  I wouldn't last 30 seconds against the man.   In fact, Big Rat, I'm PMing you my log in credentials, lmao!  I would like to be ranked about 7 or 8 in fighters if that's ok...if you go higher, you'll scare people off.  (One of the best instructors out there gang)

Regards,

Changeup :salute
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:45:33 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
Aside from mastering the game mechanics and Basic Flight Maneuvers (basic skills), there are advanced skill sets.

The detailed list would be very long, but it starts with Situational Awareness. Everything else is born of SA. Using the map to determine where and how many enemy are in your sector and surrounding sectors. Using the map to determine where the nearest threat is. Using visual observation where the actual enemy is relative to you, while determining his E state and the level of threat. Doing this for multiple enemies within visual range is essential for dealing with all of them effectively. Of course, SA is equally important on the offensive as well as defensive.

Command of Air Combat Maneuvering (this is something you cannot learn without practicing... Read Shaw at the very least)
Accurate judgement of enemy E states (without this ability, you cannot assess threats reliably)
Wingman tactics (learning to fly effectively as a mutually supporting team)
Mastery of aircraft (knowing the true ability of your aircraft, even every aircraft, and being able to exploit strengths and avoid weaknesses. Being able to exploit the weaknesses of the enemy aircraft)
Gunnery (the best killers are usually the best shots as well)

(edited typo)

Longtime no see all you AH Addicts!!!  Aloha!

spoton and to the direct point Widewing, Sir!

also like what Corky/Guppy/Tiff  posted and as well, Big Rat's follow up

cheers all, Happy Memorial Day!  :salute

TC  ( Johnny )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Skill is when one can pown in every single airplane.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
dweebs don't have skill. they just get dweebier.

and you are all dweebs.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
I wish I lived next to Big Rat so he could come over and log in as me...truth.  I wouldn't last 30 seconds against the man.   In fact, Big Rat, I'm PMing you my log in credentials, lmao!  I would like to be ranked about 7 or 8 in fighters if that's ok...if you go higher, you'll scare people off.  (One of the best instructors out there gang)

Regards,

Changeup :salute

Changeup is going to make me blush lol.  Everything I do is just smoke, mirrors, and misdirection :D  I've always wanted my own shade account though :banana: :lol. Thanks for the compliments though, albeit I think you are over rating me.  Widewing and Optiker have a lot to do with where I'm at today.

BigRat 
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 06:37:26 PM »
dweebs don't have skill. they just get dweebier.

and you are all dweebs.

Fester just dropped an atomic truth bomb on everybody.

You may now sweep up the ashen remnants of your egos.
See Rule #4

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
Have fun and not give a damn about score.
JG 52

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »

Fester just dropped an atomic truth bomb on everybody.

You may now sweep up the ashen remnants of your egos.

That's only because Fester is a student of the game and better than virtually everyone else...so to kill him, you have to get dweeby, lol...its the only way.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba