Author Topic: 2012 base taking squads, Good, Bad & Ugly  (Read 4276 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
2012 base taking squads, Good, Bad & Ugly
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Back in 2000 the MAW were one of the best..in fact they probably set the standard for pre-planning and multiple base takes coming straight outta AW it's end day. The Ak's at the time were excellent if I remember correctly and quite a few others I can't remember.

In 2007 to 2009 Aces & 8's and LTAR were probably the most sought after...but not because they were dirty horders. both flew (or Drove) with honor and had smart leaders.

2011 we all know how dirty the tards are and although disliked, not hunted (why I don't know). Excellect planning IMO but dirty as it gets. In order to stop their lemming minions you need to kill troops just to give a clue.

So who else is there thats any good out there anymore in 2012?

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
Re: 2012 base taking squads, Good, Bad & Ugly
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
I can remember from 2008 to 2010 ThndrEGG's massive noe missions. He probably started the trend of noe hordes, right up to when the radar settings were changed. His missions were always fun, and usually a bit crazy. For instance flying all the way across the ocean on trinity to take an obscure base, or launching masses of Ju-88s to level a field somewhere, even upping many B5Ns to take out a port. Was very fun, and actually required some level of airmanship unlike the hordes of today.

I used to love being a part of the horde, but then certain armchair generals took the helm and it grew old on me. By grew old I mean got absolutely friggin annoying. I've found that killing the horde is much more enjoyable.

I hope that the next horde squads bring the element to tactical mission planning back in, more than just derping in 40 heavy P-51s to flatten and take a base.

Just my .02
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »
Odd but in all my years I don't recall any base taking squads.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »
when I first joined I would always look for dredger to plan missions on the rook side.  we would take base after base.  back then rooks won about 90% of all the wars that was about 5 or 6 maybe 7 years ago.  I dont really know how long I have been playing.  but I do recall that back then the squad that everybody went after was the ltars, they did put out some pretty good fights.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:59:29 AM »
Back in 2000 the MAW were one of the best..in fact they probably set the standard for pre-planning and multiple base takes coming straight outta AW it's end day. The Ak's at the time were excellent if I remember correctly and quite a few others I can't remember.

In 2007 to 2009 Aces & 8's and LTAR were probably the most sought after...but not because they were dirty horders. both flew (or Drove) with honor and had smart leaders.

2011 we all know how dirty the tards are and although disliked, not hunted (why I don't know). Excellect planning IMO but dirty as it gets. In order to stop their lemming minions you need to kill troops just to give a clue.

So who else is there thats any good out there anymore in 2012?

Many good squads back then and some still active.  Despite how i feel about the V-tards, I never seen them play dirty.  No different then what FB base captures. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:54:23 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Loose Cannons had a relatively successful even though short lived run.  :salute

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:33 AM »
What I mean by dirty is 2nd acct. hackers chasing CV's and seeing where people are to avoid any opposition. both the 8's and Ltars hit them head on unlike the squad or squads who follow do today.

Shuff has always been anti basetake which is a shame really since it's a major part of the game. You'll always see him near a base take furball just not participating in the actual take. Plenty of muppets and the like feel the same from the old Skyrock days.

The 8's used to take 200+ bases a month and get 10,000 kills Air, Sea and land with just 10 to 16 guys out of a 27 player squad I think it was. Very few NOE's unless V bases and they'd take 2 or 3 at a time many sectors out to establish a foothold. Most takes were the hard way. Planning ahead and skill is why they got so many kills....same as Ltars but in air mostly. Not many small squads can get 10,000 kills in a month anymore.

IMO, there is nothing that beats Teamwork and nothing more challenging than getting a few guys together trying to take a base from qualified defenders. Thats what gets my blood pumping.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
I can remember from 2008 to 2010 ThndrEGG's massive noe missions. He probably started the trend of noe hordes

NOE hordes have always been commonplace since I have played back in 05. Back then it was the BOPs, GHI and Dredger leading the way as far as "Horde" play was concerned. Back then, the box layout of town and radar settings were much more suitable for the smash-grab type play making it almost impossible to defend.

Although some squads have tried to be a base taking squad, most have resorted to 1 or 2 people in the squad leading public missions to horde. IMO, you rarely see a group of squaddies working together to take a base
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
What I mean by dirty is 2nd acct. hackers chasing CV's and seeing where people are to avoid any opposition. both the 8's and Ltars hit them head on unlike the squad or squads who follow do today.

Shuff has always been anti basetake which is a shame really since it's a major part of the game. You'll always see him near a base take furball just not participating in the actual take. Plenty of muppets and the like feel the same from the old Skyrock days.

The 8's used to take 200+ bases a month and get 10,000 kills Air, Sea and land with just 10 to 16 guys out of a 27 player squad I think it was. Very few NOE's unless V bases and they'd take 2 or 3 at a time many sectors out to establish a foothold. Most takes were the hard way. Planning ahead and skill is why they got so many kills....same as Ltars but in air mostly. Not many small squads can get 10,000 kills in a month anymore.

IMO, there is nothing that beats Teamwork and nothing more challenging than getting a few guys together trying to take a base from qualified defenders. Thats what gets my blood pumping.

The 444th Air Mafia was another great base taking squad. I loved the nights when we ran head to head with the MAW. You KNEW it was going to be a long night!

That is what made the game great for me. Strategist against strategist, wing against wing, who executed better won. When "skill" meant doing the mission with out 6 wingman to "help" finish your objective.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
I haven't seen any planning at all this last year.

Every CV that attacks a field is sent straight into the shore battery without checking it's traverse.

Every CV that attacks a field is sent straight into the PT boat spawn.

Close enough to be killed by shore battery and PT boats but rarely even put close enough to let LTV off where they spawn near the town.

We have guys who get a white flag on a town is reason to call for troops regardless of the fact that 8 enemy airplanes are circulating over spawn and that the town still has all it's ack up.

When they fail to get troops in, they call for more and eventually involve a substantial amount of the country population for a base take that ultimately fails........instead of having planned a proper base take before executing.

The guys who respond to the calls for help aren't as willing to help after being involved with a couple of these.

I've seen 8 guys in a row speed out of the vehicle hangers and turn thier backs on the enemy tanks to rumble out to spawn camp even as the enemy tanks are driving on the base.........then they whine that they have no place to land thier kills because the base was captured by the enemy.

I'm amazed that a single tank making a simple flanking maneuver befuddles 5 tanks standing on concrete pointed toward spawn while the tank who flanked them kills then all.

The player base has changed from guys who had the love and patience to spend hours writing configuration files and editing AT codes to make gameplay possible and has been replaced by guys who just want instant gratification.

My motivation for taking bases is the using of the asset we just captured.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
I sure agree with the sentiment of this thread.  On a good note, this happened last night.  It was just one simple mission, but it reminded me of the old days.  I put up a pony run with 100 lb bombs and rockets.  Oh, got about 5 or 6 guys.  We headed towards the bad guy base into which we had a nice spawn.  Their vh was up as was their town.  I got questioned by the pilots in the mission what's with the 100 lb bombs.  I told them we're out for the field ack, then cap, and have some fun.  There was a little kerfuffling about the load out, but not much.

Suffice it to say, we deacked the field.  Yes, it was a small airfield, so I'm not holding this little mission up as some great feat.  We had a nice cap.  The enemy did their best, but the gv guys got the town down and someone drove in an M3.  We took it with FH's and BH's up, and with no horde.  Was just nice.

Since talking, cajoling, and begging doesn't seem to work, I think I'll up more of these ack missions.  And you don't need a horde to pull it off.  Because what does seem to work is when our guys see that they can fly over a base without getting pecked at by field ack.  It'll be fun doing it at a medium and large airfield.  The key is that 1st pass, salvo 1, with the 100 lbers.  And it's fun ignoring red guys while we go about our business, then see the enemy get the picture of what is happening.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
Dredger was that Philly copper right? What ever happened to him? He was a nice guy and had some good missions.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
I miss defending NOE base take missions, so much fun. I do not miss flying NOE base take missions, so boring.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
I haven't seen any planning at all this last year.

Every CV that attacks a field is sent straight into the shore battery without checking it's traverse.

Every CV that attacks a field is sent straight into the PT boat spawn.

Close enough to be killed by shore battery and PT boats but rarely even put close enough to let LTV off where they spawn near the town.

We have guys who get a white flag on a town is reason to call for troops regardless of the fact that 8 enemy airplanes are circulating over spawn and that the town still has all it's ack up.

When they fail to get troops in, they call for more and eventually involve a substantial amount of the country population for a base take that ultimately fails........instead of having planned a proper base take before executing.

The guys who respond to the calls for help aren't as willing to help after being involved with a couple of these.

I've seen 8 guys in a row speed out of the vehicle hangers and turn thier backs on the enemy tanks to rumble out to spawn camp even as the enemy tanks are driving on the base.........then they whine that they have no place to land thier kills because the base was captured by the enemy.

I'm amazed that a single tank making a simple flanking maneuver befuddles 5 tanks standing on concrete pointed toward spawn while the tank who flanked them kills then all.

The player base has changed from guys who had the love and patience to spend hours writing configuration files and editing AT codes to make gameplay possible and has been replaced by guys who just want instant gratification.

My motivation for taking bases is the using of the asset we just captured.

5 years ago when I started playing this game, everything you described above was happening.  It has happens during my entire tenure here.  If you go back and read some of the old threads on the BBS, you will find out they have been griping about the same thing since the creation of this BBS.  I have seen little, if any, significant change in the way players are playing the game.

My Opinion

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
Dredger was that Philly copper right? What ever happened to him? He was a nice guy and had some good missions.

Texas.......he had kids and decided to concentrate on his new family.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.