Author Topic: Panzer III please  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Panzer III please
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
So, our early war set up is pretty lacking, particularly for tanks. A Panzer III would help fill in the set, and give us another actual tank besides the T-34. Infact, with multiple models of the Panzer III, the T-34 might even become perked.

In addition to just getting the Panzer III, it would also give us two additional things.

1) The hull for the StuG III, infact it gives us the hulls for SEVERAL StuG III's. We could get an early Ausf A with the StuK 39 L'24, an Ausf F with the StuK 40 L'43, and a late Ausf G with the StuK 40 L'48.

2) the cannon for both the SdKfz 251/10, and the SdKfz 234/2 Puma armored car.

To do things right, we would have to add several variants, although we could get by with 2, if we just added an Ausf F, and the Ausf L, but we couldn't really run any North Africa setups unless we wanted the axis to be either under-represented or over-represented with their tanks. And if we add the Panzer III, we might as well do it right.

Ausf. F: 37mm KwK 36, penetrating ~45mm of armor at 100m, 50mm L'42 penetrating 65mm of armor at 100m, 3 7.62mm Mg 34's (one in the hull, two coaxil to the KwK 36). Armor is 30mm all around on the turret and gun mantle, 30mm on the hull front and sides, and 21mm on the back. 25mph

Ausf J: 50mm L'42 or 50mm L'60 penetrating about 82mm at 100m with the L'60, 2 7.92mm MG's. Armor is 30mm all around on the turret, 50mm on the gun mantle, 50mm on the hull front and rear, and 30mm on the hull side. 25mph.

Ausf. L: 50mm L'60, and 2 7.92mm MG's. armor is 57mm on the turret front, 30mm on the turret sides and rear, 70mm on the gun mantle, 70mm on the hull front, 30mm on the hull side, and 50mm on the hull rear.

The Ausf. L could even be used for a Krusk scenario.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Panzer III please
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:38:21 AM »
Useless, we have a Panzer IV F, with a smal gun optional for EW, all we need to combat T3476's :) I'd rather see something like a KV line, or IS line, maybe even a few more american tanks/TD's  :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
No. we have added enough tanks for a while. we need more important additions such as the ki43 and the g.55 and such.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
No. we have added enough tanks for a while. we need more important additions such as the ki43 and the c.200 and such.
Fixed.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
If it came down to a vote, I don't see many voting the PzIII, iconic as it is, simply is outclassed by every tank we have in game already. Same goes for a Japanese tank or Italian. Eventually if we start running out of core things to add then it makes sense, until we run out of He-111s and d.520's.

As for tanks to add, I can see 4 thrown in game right now that would serve a purpose, and possibly one Recon Car (Puma) to take care of the age old M-8.
JG 52

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
No. we have added enough tanks for a while. we need more important additions such as the ki43 and the g.55 and such.

I would also like to see some more fighters for the Russians. Not spectacular in performance but the LaGG-3 and the MiG-3 would be usefull and a fun challenge. And of course more Japanese planes  :x

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
I agree with Butcher and HighTone on this one. The panzer3s were horribly outclassed by the earlyest t34s, whats already a pretty inpotent tank in the MA...
Still, the very large majority of the tank operations were on the eastern front: IS-2, KV1/2, Su-100, Jagdpanzer4, Hetzer, Nashorn, a couple british tanks, maybe the Pershing too, and the fighters as HT mentioned.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
Id like to see ,more a/c fom countries other than us/germany/britain before more tanks  and then I'd rather see tanks from other countries then us/germany. I would ask for Japanese tanks but I dont know anything about them and I assume most were outclassed by us/british models
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »
Useless, we have a Panzer IV F, with a smal gun optional for EW, all we need to combat T3476's :) I'd rather see something like a KV line, or IS line, maybe even a few more american tanks/TD's  :aok

You mean the Panzer IV with the short stubby little 75mm L'24, barely capable of penetrating even the rear of a T-34 at any real range? The one who's gun was outclassed by the 50mm L'60?

And the IS line would be barely perk worthy. 3 rounds per minute or so, about as much penetration as the Tiger I, and about as much armor as a Panther, all packaged up into a 23mph tank with 22 rounds of ammunition.

I understand that GV's are less popular in the MA's, but HTC made an executive decision with the Ju-87G, might happen with the Panzer III.

And really, for the versatility of the modeling, this is probably one of, if not the, best potential additions.

We get the weapons for 2 more vehicles, one of which uses an existing vehicle's frame, and the chassis needed for another 3, all of which use existing guns.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
You mean the Panzer IV with the short stubby little 75mm L'24, barely capable of penetrating even the rear of a T-34 at any real range? The one who's gun was outclassed by the 50mm L'60?

And the IS line would be barely perk worthy. 3 rounds per minute or so, about as much penetration as the Tiger I, and about as much armor as a Panther, all packaged up into a 23mph tank with 22 rounds of ammunition

I understand that GV's are less popular in the MA's, but HTC made an executive decision with the Ju-87G, might happen with the Panzer III.

And really, for the versatility of the modeling, this is probably one of, if not the, best potential additions.

We get the weapons for 2 more vehicles, one of which uses an existing vehicle's frame, and the chassis needed for another 3, all of which use existing guns.

Give one reason why the Panzer III needs to be added before the 20 vehicles that would be more useful.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »
I can give you several, but top of the list is that we get major components for four other additions modeled (some arguably even more usefull than an IS-2, Churchill, KV-1, or many other tanks you can name), and minor components for a fifth.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I can give you several, but top of the list is that we get major components for four other additions modeled (some arguably even more usefull than an IS-2, Churchill, KV-1, or many other tanks you can name), and minor components for a fifth.

Why not wait for the KV-1, Churchill, IS-1 and many others - before the Panzer III? afterall Panzer III although Iconic - would be flat out useless in Aces High.
JG 52

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
more japanese pl

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
Why not wait for the KV-1, Churchill, IS-1 and many others - before the Panzer III? afterall Panzer III although Iconic - would be flat out useless in Aces High.

Hardly, while it couldn't fight the late-war tanks on even terms, or T-34's at range, it could still kill the Panzer IV F, T-34's at close range, M4's at close range, and other Panzer III's easily enough.

And in the main arenas, the Panzer III would probably get more use than the Churchill, just because its 10 mph faster, and more use than the KV-1 because it's easier to hide, and would be manuverable enough to escape fire that would blow the turret off of a KV1.

Bigger gun and better armor doesn't mean something will be more usefull. See the IS-2 for example, it would probably be relegated to a town killer, since it's gun and armor would be little better than that of a Tiger I, and its inferior in just about every other way.

Really, theres no argument for not adding the Panzer III at all, and the only real argument for 'not right now' is 'more fighters!'.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:15:19 PM by Tank-Ace »

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »

Good point.  The Pzkw. III chassis was the basis for several vehicles, including the StuG. III.

The request is worthy.  <turns>  Scribe, fetch hither my signet ring and a candle, so that I may apply The Seal! 

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs