Author Topic: Realistic Puffy Ack  (Read 4743 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: Realistic Puffy Ack
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
Look at what ack guns are available on a warship in game, now look at a real New Orleans class Heavy Cruiser (USS Vincesses):

6x 8 inch guns forward
3x 8 inch guns rear
4x 5 inch Mk 10 guns Left Side
4x 5 inch guns right side
8x twin 40mm Bofors left side
8x twin 40mm Bofos right side
10-20x 20mm Oerlikon AA Guns left side
10-20x 20mm Oerlikon AA guns right side

Do you really want to whine about the ACK? Let HTC add ALL of the gun batteries of a Heavy Cruiser/Anti Aircraft Cruiser or Light Cruiser and watch when you can't even get within 6k of a Carrier fleet because its unstoppable, your only gamble is to climb to 20k and dive bomb the CV and hop you can make it through the ack and the majority of the time you won't.

In my opinion we have some 1941 AAA Setup, if HTC ever decided to beef up the ACK he could goto a 1944 setup and nobody would dare go near a Carrier TF period.

Look at our Cruiser in game, only twin 5 inch Forward, twin 5 inch Aft. Lets add 6 more twin 5 inch to a cruiser and see what realism looks like.
OK  :bolt:
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
My solution is to disable Puffy ack once a Carrier enters a radar ring of an enemy base, this controls the ack capping of carriers, and requires people to actively defend the carrier once its within range of an enemy base.

Seems fair since they can fly above 3k and if you are taking off and climb to 3k you get blown away from puffy.

now this would be a good chance.  keeps cv's away from being 50 feet offshore.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
now this would be a good chance.  keeps cv's away from being 50 feet offshore.

semp

LVT's won't be an issue - if you stay at the dar ring then you get no LVT's you have to close onto the base - in which case the puffy is disabled. Thus allows defenders to take off and climb, except they still deal with ship ack.
Not sure how this is going to be coded, It would have ack disabled for enemy bases only not friendly bases - for example if the Carrier is at its port and someone flys near it - they get puffy.

It would stop those from trying to CAP fields with puffy while climbing 15k over the CV, and allow defenders to defend without getting 1 shot, the only draw back is what happens when a Set of bombers fly over the CV and its inside dar ring?
Frankly carrier puffy does nothing to buffs anyhow, its mainly the biggest problem to fighters. It would cause some game change, people would have to CAP cv's which you rarely see (not sure why I always few CAP over a CV with a chog, worked out fine)
JG 52

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »
I dont even remember the last time I lost a b26 to either puffy or mg rounds.  actually I dont even remember the last time i lost one to manned guns either.  it's so easy to sink the cv's from 6k that ack or lack of wont make a difference.

as for lvts you can extend the range.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »
He-111 damaged by flak.  It was some pretty nifty flying and a miracle the He-111 made it home to its base in Italy.
(Image removed from quote.)

Unfortunately, these guys weren't as lucky as these planes (and probably crew) never made it home.

ack-ack

Nice photos AKAK.  :aok

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
Look at what ack guns are available on a warship in game, now look at a real New Orleans class Heavy Cruiser (USS Vincesses):

6x 8 inch guns forward
3x 8 inch guns rear
4x 5 inch Mk 10 guns Left Side
4x 5 inch guns right side
8x twin 40mm Bofors left side
8x twin 40mm Bofos right side
10-20x 20mm Oerlikon AA Guns left side
10-20x 20mm Oerlikon AA guns right side

Do you really want to whine about the ACK? Let HTC add ALL of the gun batteries of a Heavy Cruiser/Anti Aircraft Cruiser or Light Cruiser and watch when you can't even get within 6k of a Carrier fleet because its unstoppable, your only gamble is to climb to 20k and dive bomb the CV and hop you can make it through the ack and the majority of the time you won't.

In my opinion we have some 1941 AAA Setup, if HTC ever decided to beef up the ACK he could goto a 1944 setup and nobody would dare go near a Carrier TF period.

Look at our Cruiser in game, only twin 5 inch Forward, twin 5 inch Aft. Lets add 6 more twin 5 inch to a cruiser and see what realism looks like.
That's pretty much what our cruiser has, maybe missing some of the 40mm and 20mm guns, but I mean as far as puffy goes...

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
yeah thats what we have already, and they are all operational ...  :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »
I circled a CV in my TA-152H at 18-22k last night (squaddies were down low, I'd been hunting buffs).

I stayed in the puffy as an experiment... to see how long I would last, and because I was wondering whether or not the puffy going after me would relieve the pressure on the boys below...

I was up there flying in it for 5-10 minutes before I came down to the fight on the deck (with the expected results  :joystick: ) and never got pinged once by the puffy.

A couple of months ago it seemed a LOT worse than it does now... so I dunno if I am just luckier these days or what.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
I circled a CV in my TA-152H at 18-22k last night (squaddies were down low, I'd been hunting buffs).

I stayed in the puffy as an experiment... to see how long I would last, and because I was wondering whether or not the puffy going after me would relieve the pressure on the boys below...

I was up there flying in it for 5-10 minutes before I came down to the fight on the deck (with the expected results  :joystick: ) and never got pinged once by the puffy.

A couple of months ago it seemed a LOT worse than it does now... so I dunno if I am just luckier these days or what.

Here's a test for ya, take up an I-16 and climb to 2.9k - find a CV then zoom climb straight up, watch how fast you go bang.
JG 52

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »
Here's a test for ya, take up an I-16 and climb to 2.9k - find a CV then zoom climb straight up, watch how fast you go bang.

I will do this, but only because I love flying the I-16 haha

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
Then fly a spitfire XIV over an enemy cv at 35,000 feet and 400+mph.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
Then fly a spitfire XIV over an enemy cv at 35,000 feet and 400+mph.

Haven't done this, but did have a Fw190d9 at 25k hunting a Buff group when I met puffy ack, puffy + dora 9's radiator = dead plane
JG 52

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Puffy ack is a pretty good solution but it just needs a little bit of adjustment.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
I dislike that it's a mathematical formula that decides whether we take a hit or not.  For the people that complain that "I was doing 400 at 10k and i died...."

That's rather unlikely you are exaggerating, or are extremely unlucky, and probably do not know that speed and distance are not the only factors.

I believe these are the factors that determine your probability of being hit:

Speed
     Distance
     G loading  (are you maneuvering?)

I believe that what happens is that whenever the puffy shoots at you it puts a random puff inside an area, or bubble around your aircraft.  The bubble's size being determined by the above criteria.

*Finally and as pure speculation, I suspect that this bubble is generated at a specific moment based on the exact state of your aircraft when it "shoots at you."  Which means if you are maneuvering like crazy but at that brief moment the ack fires and you just happen to be showing low G loading, your probability of getting hit still goes up.
      *In theory timing as well.  I doubt that when the game decides to "shoot at you" with puffy that it remembers anything previous except for the moment  that there is a puff in your hit bubble.  This means that at the exact moment the game shoots puffy at you

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
If you aren't maneuvering of course you will get hit,  The only planes that can probably get away with that is bombers.  If you're in a fighter you need to alter your altitude, speed, and heading etc. Honestly, puffy ack is a bit toned down then what it actually was like in real life.

Warthog
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein