Author Topic: troops dissappearing  (Read 968 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
troops dissappearing
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:21 AM »
Can the auto acks on an enemy CV group close to shore prevent your troops from running?  

Myself and a squaddie had a counter attack in play the flag was still white,  no enemy GV's in town, no-one home (they had all moved onto their next target)  

I killed all 8 town acks fresh and the town at A39 baltic is miles away from the airfield.  

Squaddie was stopped in an M3 and they didn't run,  my two only thoughts at the time were that he was either moving or an ack was still up.   He was engine off and my log showed all 8 acks were dead.   No-one was in an SB but the CV they took it with was quite close to shore hence my question!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: troops dissappearing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
I let troops out on a just captured friendly base the other night and they disappeared.  In the past they ran to the maproom even though it was friendly.  I was about 25 yards away from it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
If there was film it would show, you can drop troops on a carrier and have ack shoot at them - useful when de-acking a lone carrier. I don't believe a carrier is close enough to shore to shoot at an m3 dropping troops unless you literally are next to it.

Without film its tough to say, maybe he brought supplies instead?
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »
I let troops out on a just captured friendly base the other night and they disappeared.  In the past they ran to the maproom even though it was friendly.  I was about 25 yards away from it.

Its possible someone was hiding near the map room, I did this a week ago, got shot down over town trying to hide in ack and ended up running between the spawn and map room so if they strafed map room they wouldn't kill me - guy let his troops out outside of town and i managed to get 4-5 .
JG 52

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
Its possible someone was hiding near the map room, I did this a week ago, got shot down over town trying to hide in ack and ended up running between the spawn and map room so if they strafed map room they wouldn't kill me - guy let his troops out outside of town and i managed to get 4-5 .

I don't think so... I was on a FRIENDLY base... just captured.  It was at a port and there's an auto ack right near the maproom.  None of the ack were firing as I had sat there for several minutes before deciding to just watch the troops run and no, I wasn't carrying supplys as I watched the counter tick down as they were released to make sure I had the salvo set properly.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:36:25 AM »
well interesting thoughts,  squaddie was adamant he had troops,  went and checked his load out in tower and confirmed it. 

The troops didn't run at all which rules out a chute in map room. 

the only thing I can think of is an auto ack within range.  No film unfortunately.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
well interesting thoughts,  squaddie was adamant he had troops,  went and checked his load out in tower and confirmed it. 

The troops didn't run at all which rules out a chute in map room. 

the only thing I can think of is an auto ack within range.  No film unfortunately.

Does he use a twisty stick? I know from GV'ing when I had my old Logitech 3d PRO, when the rudder started giving out the deadband wasn't set high enough which would cause the vehicle to turn to one side, (for me was always to the left) even if you dont even use the joystick to GV (I use a mouse) however the bounciness still causes turrets and vehicles to turn depending on what you use (Turret was mapped to the stick itself and the rudder part was the twist) this causes vehicles to spin even when stopped.

Depends on what stick he has, see what controls are mapped to the joystick, this is only other thing i can figure out besides auto ack.

JG 52

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
I had this before its a glitch of some kind. running LVT to a port, stop, release troops, watch counter 10, 9, ... and nothing. they dont appear to exit the vehicle. ran 2 more sets, the same thing. someone else ran a set and it worked fine.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
could the loss of the Vbase from which he spawned have something to do with it?    :noid
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
could the loss of the Vbase from which he spawned have something to do with it?    :noid

Unlikely.  When it happened to me I spawned from a CV that was still there when I released.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
Does he use a twisty stick? I know from GV'ing when I had my old Logitech 3d PRO, when the rudder started giving out the deadband wasn't set high enough which would cause the vehicle to turn to one side, (for me was always to the left) even if you dont even use the joystick to GV (I use a mouse) however the bounciness still causes turrets and vehicles to turn depending on what you use (Turret was mapped to the stick itself and the rudder part was the twist) this causes vehicles to spin even when stopped.

Depends on what stick he has, see what controls are mapped to the joystick, this is only other thing i can figure out besides auto ack.

Not sure what your getting at? Troops can be dropped on the move though , not sure if you can go up to 20 mph like supplies , but it is possible to drop them so they run almost as one
So I don't understand why a twist stick twitch would have any effect?
As far as CV ack, I think it is possible for the CV guns to  kill the troops, I have seen a cruiser or destroyer get very close in a turn.     Just my opinion tho!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:23:16 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.