Author Topic: Basic Tanking 101  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
Basic Tanking 101
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
Basic Tanking 101

The following is a descriptive “How To” analysis when conducting “Basic Tanking”.  I have written this from an entry experience level approach for the new player or the player with very little tanking experience.  So if the narrative seems a little simple to you please understand the intent here.

VEHICLE
For simplicity I will detail using the Soviet T34/76 although the principles are the same for most any tank.

LOADOUT
For load out we will be using High Explosive (HE) rounds versus Armor Piercing (AP) or High Velocity Armor Piercing (HVAP) ordnance.

The primary differences in each type of round is:
HE Rounds:
Used primarily against Buildings, Ammo Bunkers, Fuel Storage Tanks, Ground Guns, Ships, PT Boats, Trains, Supply Truck Convoys, Supply Boats & Barges, Aircraft (on ground or in air), Troops (on ground or in air), Jeeps and light armored Ground Vehicles (GV’s).

HE rounds live up to their name meaning they do a lot of damage to a non-armored structure or vehicle.  

The rounds trajectory is higher than AP or HVAP and has less velocity.

AP Rounds:
Used primarily against other armored GV’s such as another Tank, Jeep, Wirbel, etc.  They can be used against Buildings, Ammo Bunkers, Fuel Storage Tanks, Ground Guns, Ships, PT Boats, Trains, Supply Truck Convoys, Supply Boats & Barges, Aircraft (on ground or in air), Troops (on ground or in air) however it takes many more rounds to accomplish this versus HE rounds.

AP rounds have a shallower trajectory than HE but they have more velocity to penetrate enemy armor.

HVAP:
Used primarily against other armored GV’s such as another Tank, Jeep, Wirbel, etc.  They can be used against Buildings, Ammo Bunkers, Fuel Storage Tanks, Ground Guns, Ships, PT Boats, Trains, Supply Truck Convoys, Supply Boats & Barges, Aircraft (on ground or in air), Troops (on ground or in air) however it takes many more rounds to accomplish this versus HE rounds.

HVAP rounds have a much shallower trajectory than AP rounds and have more velocity to penetrate enemy armor than AP rounds.

In summary, HE rounds are your best choice when attacking buildings and Ground Guns while HVAP rounds are your best choice when battling GV to GV, Tank To Tank.

Do not take a HE Tank to an AP/HVAP Tank battle…it is like taking a knife to a gunfight…you will lose.

SMOKE Rounds:
Used to primarily camouflage yourself or your position.  They can also be used to protect/camouflage a friendly player or if fired in the face of an enemy GV cause visual blindness forcing them to relocate position.  This also hides the enemy from your Line of Sight giving them the advantage…use this wisely.

To switch between the different types of rounds HE/AP/HVAP/SMOKE simply hit the BACKSPACE key.

TURRET GUN:
Used primarily against Ground Guns and Troops (on ground or in air).  They can also be used against Jeeps, Wirbels, Trains, Aircraft (on ground or in air).  They are very effective against Ground Guns conserving HE/AP/HVAP ords and against Troops (on ground or in air).

FUEL
Load out percentages whether 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% are dependent on three factors:
1.   The distance to the target or multiple targets you plan to strike in a single sortie.
2.   Having enough fuel in the event you need to run to another friendly or enemy base.
3.   Extra fuel to return home and score your Vehicle points.

In most sorties 50% is more than adequate fuel loadout.

POSITION
Rule #1:
Turn you engine (Key E) off when you are in position.  

Reason:  If you hear any other engines running once yours is off then there is another GV in the area.  If the sound is from 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock it is most likely an enemy hunting you.  Sound emanating from behind you is most likely a friendly.  To determine sound location use view keypad commands (1 thru 9) and you will see the sound change location….listen carefully.  High-Hat users simply toggle the hat and listen.

As a novice GV’er locate and place your tank in a location which will give you the best possible angle of trajectory for the type of shell you are using.   For simplicity let’s use the HE round.  Your location should be such as the target is relatively clear to spot AND you have a second target choice or MORE from the same position location simply by rotating the turret.  This is best accomplished if you are slightly high above the target looking down.

TIP:  There are several spawn locations in all Arenas that offer the GV’er a spawn location above and away from the field below.  This is the ideal spawn because you do not set of the Radar (dar) nor does the field flash to indicate an imminent attack.  These spawn points are great locations to practice high trajectory shelling.
It is very feasible to take out all Ground Guns and take a base alone by a single GV’er, especially if you are playing late in the evening in one of the lesser arenas using this tactic.

RULE #2:
Move to a second shoot point.   Start your engine (Key E) and move your tank.  Once in position turn the engine off and listen.  Remember any other engine sound is most likely an enemy hunting for you.
Re-Positioning is just as critical as your first spot choice.   If you are level with the playing field try to get the best possible vantage point that offers the maximum number of targets.  
As you get more and more experience you will see the benefit of using hills to gain elevation on a level field.  Hills can also be used to hide behind in the event and enemy is hunting you.  They offer excellent coverage for initiating an exit run.
Relocating can be a real challenge if you are on the side of a mountain or such.  Most of these scenarios are trial and error. Look for a level outcrop like a mini hill.  This will give you a stable base to shoot from parallel to your target.

RULE #3:
Always have an exit run planned.  In a head on attack your exit is generally the 180 degree span from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock behind you.  This is called a defensive run.
An exit 180 degrees forward from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock is an offensive run.

Senario “A”:  You have your engine off.  You hear another GV moving.  You hear it stop.  Suddenly a shell lands by your position.  Simply put you have been spotted.  However the enemy has the upper hand because you do not know their exact location but they sure know yours.  This is called loosing the Element of Surprise.  You start your engine, turn and run to the 180 degree span behind you.  This is called a Defensive Run.

Senario “B”:  You have your engine off.  You hear another GV moving.  You hear it stop.  Suddenly a shell lands by your position.  You have a general idea of the enemy position.  You start your engine and run to a position offering protection and an opportunity to shoot within the 180 degree span in front of you.  This is called an Offensive Run.

Always have an exit run planned.  A worst case scenario would be in a canyon GV fight with your back or flank (right side or left side) to a wall.  You instantly lost 180 degrees of potential exit opportunity.

STEALTH VS. HIT ‘N RUN
Seasoned GV’ers practice extreme stealth ie: no engine, a great position and very well camouflaged.  Many such players sit for hours under ideal conditions especially in GV battles and score massively.

A typical Hit ‘N Run would be:
Spawn, Engine on, Position, Engine Off, Listen, Shoot, Listen, Engine On, Relocate
Repeat

YOUR FIRST TOWN
As an entry level Tanker choose a town first reason being  you get immediate results and get to see things blow up.  This gives you good satisfaction and increases your confidence level.  Town buildings are easier to shoot than airfield structures.  There are more town buildings as well and offer higher score points than airfield facilities.  As a general rule of thumb it takes 2 direct hit HE rounds to drop (blow up) a town building.  So if you take the T34/76 with the full HE ord compliment you have 100 HE rounds.  If it takes 2 rounds per building then in theory you can drop 50 buildings (100 divided by 2 = 50).

Senario:  There are three buildings connected to each other (they MUST touch each other).  Normally you would need 2 rounds each x 3 buildings = 6 rounds total used.

Game Tip:  Shoot the farthest building with one round. Shoot the closest building with one round. Shoot the building in the middle with one round.  All three building are now destroyed using only 3 rounds versus 6 rounds.  You saved 3 rounds or 50% of the normal amount of ords used.

This also works with two buildings connected (they MUST touch each other).  Shoot the farthest building with one round. Shoot the closest building with one round.  Both buildings are now destroyed using only 2 rounds versus 4 rounds.  You saved 2 rounds or 50% of the normal amount of ords used.

Remember this works because HE rounds do massive damage to buildings if used effectively.

It takes 69 buildings destroyed to “White Flag” a Town.  To take a Town you must have “White Flag” AND all Ground Guns down.  Then get 10 Troops alive into the Map room to capture the Town.

YOUR FIRST VEHICLE BASE/PORT/FIELD
Each in this order offer excellent opportunities to better your Ground Gun attack skills. It takes accuracy, patience and skill to drop all the guns.  This is the key to Mastering trajectory shelling and becoming a formidable Tank Ace.

Ammo Bunkers and Fuel Tanks are a personal favorite because you have instant gratification and flames.

Once you have mastered HE trajectory shelling you now have the basics for AP/HVAP round firing in GV to GV confrontations.  One Shot, One Kill.

"Continued Below".

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:41:57 PM by Cjpedrido »

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
Re: Basic Tanking 101 Page 1
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
CONTINUED TRAININGFor new players or those wishing to learn, try the other Arenas.  Especially after hours.  If you tell other players you are live tank training most are very accommodating & will either leave you alone or let them practice long distance GV to GV shelling… you against them.  I never met anyone who did not enjoy this…they take a shot on you & you take one on them…communicate via the dialog box such as short, long, left, right, a hit or a miss & everybody is happy.  This is a great way to learn about long distance trajectory shooting and score a few points at the same time.  On the subject of points you get more points shelling a town vs. a field.  This is a great way to build confidence and experience. 

To “land” your points you must “End Sortie”.  If you get a message in the dialog box “You have landed successfully” you will score the maximum amount of points available on that sortie.  To obtain this you must have no enemy cons of any kind within 6.0K of your location.  If a con is within the 6.0K range and you “End Sortie” you will get “You have been captured” or receive a “You have ditched” notice.  You still accrue points but much less than if “You have landed successfully”.
An enemy con is a Fighter, Bomber, Vehicle or Boat of the opposition.

HELPFUL ITEMS
# Of HE Rounds/Target (Direct Hits) Needed:
14/Fighter Hanger
14/Vehicle Hanger
14/Storch Hanger
  2/Big Vehicle Hanger
  2/Ammo Bunker
  2/Troop Barracks (two buildings destroyed at once)
  2/Radar
  1/Gun Emplacement
  1/Soft Gun Battery
  2/Other non-descript Buildings

Basic Commands:

Key W = Forward
Key S = Reverse
Key D = Move Right
Key A = Move Left
Key F = Fire Main Gun (Primary)
Key B = Fire Secondary Gun (Turret)
Key O = Open Doors (to let Troops out in M3, LVTA2)
BACKSPACE = Switch Ords
View Commands = Keypad Keys 1 thru 9

GAME MAPS
Game maps are available in the “Clipboard” however they are drab and may not be accurate.
To access ”Clipboard Maps”:
Hit the “Esc” key to bring up the “Clipboard”,
Right click on the “Map” and a box pops up,
Click “Clipboard Maps” at the bottom of that box.  A second box opens to the left.
From the “Clipboard Map Box” pull down the menu, click the map you want such as Town, Vehicle Hanger, Port, Air Field, etc. & you now have an in-flight map.
The box closes upon exit and defaults back to the main “World” map.
You can also click “Apply” to save the map you view and override the default “World” map.

KEYBOARD COMMANDS
A complete list of keyboard commands is available at www.hitechcreations.com ,
Click SUPPORT
Click HELP,
Find Flight Controls,
Click Keyboard Commands.
Tip:  Printing a paper copy comes in real handy.
Here is the direct link: 
http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Flight-Sim-Controls/aces-high-help-key-commands.html

THE DEVILS=v=BRIGADE
The Devils=v=Brigade also has updated “Maps, Gun Sights and Bombing Run” maps available on our website.  We support all Aces High players whether you are a Bishop, Knight or Rook …so ours maps are available to anyone and can be found here:
Go to www.devilsvbrigade.com
Click “Maps, Gun Sights & Photos”,
Click “Clickboard Maps & Gunsights”,
Click the specific map you desire,
Right click on the Map and click “Save Picture as….” Bitmap (*.bmp).  Maps are in .bmp format (called bitmaps).

You can do the same with the “Bombing Routes” maps.
Click “Maps, Gun Sights & Photos”,
Click “Bombing Routes”,
Click the specific map you desire,
Right click on the Map and click “Save Picture as….” bitmap.

You can also replace your in game “Clipboard Maps” with these new ones:
Find the saved maps on your computer and click copy.
Double click the “Hitech Creations” directory on your computer,
Double click “Aces High” directory,
Double click “Maps” file.
Copy/paste/replace the map(s) you downloaded and you now have accurate maps in your “Clipboard”.

Note:  Recommended you save the old files as backup.

PRINTING MAPS
You can print these in game maps as well by accessing the “Hitech Creations” folder on your hard drive.  Double click the “Aces High” directory,
Double click the “Maps” directory,
Double click the “Map” file.
Pick & print the map(s) you want on most any printer.  You now have handy paper copies.

In summary, I wrote this because I felt there was a need for some basic in depth “How To” tank guidance especially for newcomers.  My primary goal was to detail a simple step by step guide.  If novice or established players have also benefited from this outline then my efforts have been totally successful.

I have never seen anything similar to this written so I hope it is useful for everyone.

Sincerely,

vSKYDIVE
Devils=v=Brigade

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: Basic Tanking 101
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
I can't tank at all. Thanks for the write-up, gives me a better idea of what to do.

:salute
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
  Thanks for the writeup! :aok

The training corps desided it's well past time for a dedicated GV trainer so we beat Wwhiskey into submission till he agreed to take on the task of training players in GV's

Hopefully anyone wishing to learn GVs will contact Wwhiskey via pm and setup an appointment for some training.

PS: I'm gonna hit him up for some tips myself!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
couple of corrections:

HE is unable to destroy anything more heavily armored than an M18 from the front, and really the sides and rear, unless it is a high-caliber, high-velocity HE round. This means 88mm KwK 36 L'56 (Tiger I), 75mm KwK 42 L'70 (Panther), and the 88mm KwK 43 L'71 (Tiger II). Aside from that, HE should only be fired at an armored target in an attempt to track said target, immobilizing him and making him easier to kill with AP rounds.

HVAP is only more effective than AP rounds out to about 1000-1200 yds. HVAP (APCR if you're from Germany, USA, or England) rounds are the same overall dimensions as a standard AP round (APCBC in the case of the USA, UK, and Germany, AP or APC for Russia), but they are lighter, and are fired by the same propellant charge as a normal AP round. They are a solid core of tungsten surrounded by a jacket of lighter alloys (aluminum alloys were common, IIRC), so they have a VERY hard penetrator core, and light weight. Because they are lighter, but retain the same overall dimensions as an AP round, they have a poorer ballistic coefficient, and thus slow down faster than standard AP rounds. In addition to this, because they have less mass, they lose penetration MUCH faster than a standard AP round. Kenetic energy = penetration. KE = Mass x Velocity^2. This means that you will get a greater increase in penetration by increasing the velocity, than if you increased the mass. However, it also means that if you decrease the velocity, you lose more penetration than if you had decreased the mass.

Thus, as speeds slow down, the round has both less mass, and less velocity than a standard AP round, and therefore it will have significantly lower penetration at extended ranges.

In Aces High (which uses damage values at least for structures, and appears to use them for buildings as well), HVAP rounds do less damage than standard rounds. Most likely this is because of the reduced mass.

Experienced tankers will rarely hold in place for an extended period of time, unless a camp has been established at an enemy vehicle spawn. Because you can see the incoming tracer rounds, you can follow the out-going fire back to its point of origin, and locate even the most craftily hidden tank. Thus, mobility is key. Even if you are under attack, falling back is still preferable to holding in place, even if it means you give up ground. You lose less ground if you fall back 300 yds and make another stand than you do if you hold in place and die, and have to drive back out to the fight.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:36:27 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »

Nicely done, hopefully we can get together and hook you or anyone else with any traing needed!

I frequently kill  panzers and m4's with HE from the M4' 75 into the sides and rear as well as panzers into the turret area, as long as I am within 1k  flaks and m18's ,m8's, 3's, jeeps, lvt's, pt boats are great all HE targets,, but I digress!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Morfiend, I have been working on some training material as well and will try to get it together, approved , and up for consumption  soon!

I have worked with my first official trainee ( victim) LOL. And am ready for more ,let me know by pm so we can get together please!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
Basic Tanking 101

Very well done and informative, thank you. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
Nice write up!

Although, I do not believe fuel % matters at all at this time... I don't think you can run out (I am almost positive).

I do not know if there is any benefit to a lighter fuel load, but even on multi sector missions, 25% has always been enough.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
Nice write up!

Although, I do not believe fuel % matters at all at this time... I don't think you can run out (I am almost positive).

I do not know if there is any benefit to a lighter fuel load, but even on multi sector missions, 25% has always been enough.

I never tried to figure out if it mattered either but always only carry 25%
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
I never tried to figure out if it mattered either but always only carry 25%

It doesn't matter, really. Given that many had to be refueled only every 24hrs during heavy fighting, I would guess that nobody is going to really run dry on 25% fuel, since it would last approximately 3hrs going flat out, and a lot of our time is spent stationary.

I'm not even sure if fuel is actually used in GV's or not, I never checked.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
  There is no fuel burn on GV's!

Not that it matters.

Offline gjarreau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
CONTINUED TRAINING

Basic Commands:[/b][/u]
Key W = Forward
Key S = Reverse
Key D = Move Right
Key A = Move Left
Key F = Fire Main Gun (Primary)
Key B = Fire Secondary Gun (Turret)
Key O = Open Doors (to let Troops out in M3, LVTA2)
BACKSPACE = Switch Ords
View Commands = Keypad 1-9
this is exactly what i was looking for! If i set up these keys will it not over write my flight key commands (or does it matter)?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
this is exactly what i was looking for! If i set up these keys will it not over write my flight key commands (or does it matter)?

when in the window to assign the button one of the drop down is a "mode" Mode 1 is flight controls, mode 2 is GVs, and mode 3 could be bombers if you like, or another set of views. Be sure to be in mode 2 when adding these buttons, and either set the game to switch to mode 2 automatically when you roll a GV, or set another button to use to switch between modes on the fly.

Offline gjarreau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
when in the window to assign the button one of the drop down is a "mode" Mode 1 is flight controls, mode 2 is GVs, and mode 3 could be bombers if you like, or another set of views. Be sure to be in mode 2 when adding these buttons, and either set the game to switch to mode 2 automatically when you roll a GV, or set another button to use to switch between modes on the fly.
Cool. Thanks!

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
After you learn the basics of tanking, best way is to contact one of the veteran tankers in game, most I would say are far more friendly to offer help and advice.

I generally do clinics now and then, but not anymore - I only teach in the main arena.
JG 52