Author Topic: USS Alabama pics  (Read 1656 times)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: USS Alabama pics
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
If you guys see those big grain elevators (and probably a Panamax freighter taking on grain) across the bay from the Alabama, that's our dock facilities!!

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
Toured the Alabama back in the 60's, right after she was sent to Mobile, IIRC. Will go again if I'm ever in the area.  :salute

Nutz
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:52:22 PM by Nutzoid »
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
Is the sub still there Changeup?

http://www.ussalabama.com/uss_drum.php It Looks like a Gato class but they dont say. This is a trip I'd like to make. Pretty awsome service record for the USS Drum. She was there at the beginning and fought the entire war.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
http://www.ussalabama.com/uss_drum.php It Looks like a Gato class but they dont say. This is a trip I'd like to make. Pretty awsome service record for the USS Drum. She was there at the beginning and fought the entire war.

Her captain was aboard all three years...as an line officer, OIC, XO and eventually CO.  Navy Cross, 2 SS's, 1 BS w/V device, Naval Commendation (4)...he had a chest full and from the materials inside the boat, earned every one of them.  They have his originals onboard along with his citations.  They also removed the Vietnam era officers mess and replaced it with the WW II original flatware which is on display...too cool to describe.  

Onsite:  B-25H, C-47, B-52, F-4 Phantom II, SR-71 Blackbird, 51D, Skyhawk, VF-17 (F-18 test bird), F-18D, F-14C, F-15D Strike Eagle (Gorilla 2 - 2 confirmed MIG 21 kills), F-8 Crusader, EA-6 Prowler, Skyhawk ASW fit, and a few more along with 6 WWII era tanks.  It was a fantastic time
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:24:03 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Here are some of the MANY 20mm

And this is what quad 40's look like if you haven't ever seen them

My son James on the 20mm and the 40mm's on the USS North Carolina in Wilmington, NC.... some of my favorite photos.

And to think I drove right thru Mobile, AL in 2005 and didn't even know the Alabama was there. I'll know next time.......
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
They just added a new wing as well.  :cheers:

I dunno when you were there last but they did move the submarine out of the water over enviromental and wear concerns. It is  now above ground.
I think '03-'04. I remember they were doing something with her because the hull was in need of repair.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
I think '03-'04. I remember they were doing something with her because the hull was in need of repair.

I think thats about when they decided to pull her out.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:05 PM »
Thanks for the pics, folks!  :aok

Offline camnite

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »
the drum was one of the first 8 gato's laid down and the first operational of the class. 5 people died on alabama, a welder that got electrocuted, carpenter who had his saw kick back, and one of the rotation locks on one of the 5" turrets broke and let the gun swing and fire point blank into #5 turret, many of the planes were flown to brookley field or landed in mobile bay. the new skyraider they just acquired was the one illegaly brought into the us from france with WORKING 20mm hispanoes.
"I pledge allegiance to the Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama, and to the tradition for which it stands, one nation under Saban, undefeated, with championships and victory over all"
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
I believe the great Bob Feller was a gunnery officer on the Alabama.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
the drum was one of the first 8 gato's laid down and the first operational of the class. 5 people died on alabama, a welder that got electrocuted, carpenter who had his saw kick back, and one of the rotation locks on one of the 5" turrets broke and let the gun swing and fire point blank into #5 turret, many of the planes were flown to brookley field or landed in mobile bay. the new skyraider they just acquired was the one illegaly brought into the us from france with WORKING 20mm hispanoes.

Yes sir... It's on display with the legal process in which it was procured.  They have the wings folded up so you can clearly see the hispanos....I knew I should have taken a pic of those, lol
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 04:59:39 AM »
You son James is quoted as saying in the last photo ........"dang not another assist!!"
999000 <S>

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 09:42:31 AM »
You son James is quoted as saying in the last photo ........"dang not another assist!!"
999000 <S>

Hahahaha nice

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.