Author Topic: USS Alabama pics  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
USS Alabama pics
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »
I went there this evening for the 1st time...what a beaut!

Here are some interesting pics since you've all seen battleships...

There is an air museum attached to the park and he's a redtail 51D

Here are some of the MANY 20mm...notice the black directions...

And this is what quad 40's look like if you haven't ever seen them

If you get a chance, you have to visit this park on Mobile, AL bay...really nice stuff
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:35:33 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline WING47

• Copper Member
Re: USS Alabama pics
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:07:41 AM »
Awesome, but I could really use one of those dual 40mm AA guns, would help keep those damn kids off my lawn

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:28:01 AM »
I can hear the japanese from here...MANNED ACK NOOBS!  :furious
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »
Went there  a couple of years ago, got a load of pics somewhere, I'll have to root them out! :aok

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:32:26 AM »
Been there done that. :aok

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »
  Visited the USS New Jersey for the annual Beer Fest this past weekend. The admission fees help fund the upkeep of these icons of military history so get out there people.

The USS New Jersey is staffed by Vets and was talking to one of them that served in Korea on her:
  "In it's history of 19 Battle Stars only one Sailor was killed on the Ship. The #1 Turret was hit by a shore battery killing one Sailor and injuring 2 others. The Captain ordered all 16" guns to fire on that location bringing down the mountainside and silenced the gun."
                     We thanked him for his service and thank all that serve.  :salute

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:08:19 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:51 AM »
Been there done that. :aok

Me too...  :banana:

Pensacola air museum not too far away either.   :cheers:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
I can hear the japanese from here...MANNED ACK NOOBS!  :furious

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:01:51 AM »
 Visited the USS New Jersey for the annual Beer Fest this past weekend. The admission fees help fund the upkeep of these icons of military history so get out there people.

The USS New Jersey is staffed by Vets and was talking to one of them that served in Korea on her:
  "In it's history of 19 Battle Stars only one Sailor was killed on the Ship. The #1 Turret was hit by a shore battery killing one Sailor and injuring 2 others. The Captain ordered all 16" guns to fire on that location bringing down the mountainside and silenced the gun."
                     We thanked him for his service and thank all that serve.  :salute

(Image removed from quote.)
:O

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Is the sub still there Changeup?

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

Toured it too... that was awesome!  Few years ago though.

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

Oh yes...it's a far cry from the fast attack subs I've been on too....if they fit 65 crew and 6 officers on that sub its unbelievable.  The Drum was decomm'd in 1968 but it had a fairly recent diver lockout chamber which put her squarely in the SEAL delivery role during her Vietnam patrols or she served her last years as a lockout training platform.  She had upgraded ELINT equipment too which made the ballast and rudder control area very cramped.  I guess space was a problem for the radioman for the upgrades.

Very interesting walk-through.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
I went a couple weeks before katrina, apparently there was some damage to the boat and some of the planes?

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
I went a couple weeks before katrina, apparently there was some damage to the boat and some of the planes?

Yes, If I recall correctly the hanger housing some of the planes had part of the roof ripped off as well as the submarine sustaining some damage. It was taken care of though and everything restored. Great community down here and its one of the landmarks. I believe they got some help from the city.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

Pensacola air museum not too far away either.   :cheers:

They just added a new wing as well.  :cheers:

I dunno when you were there last but they did move the submarine out of the water over enviromental and wear concerns. It is  now above ground.