Author Topic: Question for those real pilots  (Read 626 times)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Question for those real pilots
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
<S>
I listen to atc.net PHL Final often. I'm confused about something the tower
says during Final. The atc tells the pilot. Brickyard 417, turn right heading 275, speed 180kts, establish
localizer, till Delto, Jalto, Gelco? The last part is what i'm confused about.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: Question for those real pilots
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
I'm not instrument rated so I have no authority to begin trying to explain, but they're referring to imaginary waypoints that are certain distances from the airport. The waypoints are used for instrument approaches.

Each waypoint has a minimum altitude. Looking at an instrument approach from the side, it would look like a set of stairs, with the bottom being the airport.

Again, that is a very simplified explanation from a non-IR pilot.

edit: Google "PHL 27R approach plate". That will give you a bit of a visual. You will see JALTO as one of the waypoints.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:43:49 PM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Well...the approach won't quite look like a staircase. More like a ramp with slopes of varying lengths and pitch.

Keep in mind each approach will look a little different.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:53:26 PM by B4Buster »

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
spot on buster  :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
Thanks NOVA!

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
Thanks Sir! :aok
It was driving me nuts trying to figure out what they were saying and referring to.
I bring up the liveatc.net & "Flightaware". Pretty cool to watch the markers as they are
approaching/departing while listening to the Comms.
Philly has a woman controller who has the hottest voice :t
I'm trying to catch her on again :O
JALTO is in Oaklyn , NJ  :)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:35:18 PM by ozrocker »
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Oz i downloaded the atc.net, but where do you go to exactly to listen to them?  :)
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
You shouldn't have to download anything. I listen from the site.
Near top of page you'll see a box to type in airport code or city.
Type in hit enter it'll bring up the different controllers and frequency.
Click on whichever you want to listen to. You can listen in the browser.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:17:19 PM by ozrocker »

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Fun stuff I pulled up Miami today.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
Brickyard? that's Republic Airlines, didn't know they were still operational :aok
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
Different Republic. The one today is what's left of Mid Atlantic after US Airways sold it to Republic Airways Holdings (Chautauqua, Shuttle America, Republic and now Frotier, Midwest and Lynx are they different certificates) in 2005ish. The blue top Airways Express E-170s tail numbers almost all end in "MD" for that reason.

Jalto is a fix for 27R. When Philly is landing west you'll hear BWINE (Bee-Wine, for Brandywine) for 9R or Kelee just before going over to tower.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:32:03 PM by Golfer »

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
very good explination.  :aok   Im not instrument rated either but i remember my CFI talking about it.
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good info :aok
Like I posted earlier, it's even better with Flightaware on. Gives you the plane tags & ID's.
On Flightaware, you can also get a listing of every type and how many of any A/C in air.
The other day, there was a JU-52 in flight. Northern US airport to Canada.
Oh, and Chautauqua still goes by that callsign.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:15:46 AM by ozrocker »

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
Thanks for all the good info :aok
Like I posted earlier, it's even better with Flightaware on. Gives you the plane tags & ID's.
On Flightaware, you can also get a listing of every type and how many of any A/C in air.
The other day, there was a JU-52 in flight. Northern US airport to Canada.
Oh, and Chautauqua still goes by that callsign.

that Ju-52 literally flew right over me on Wednesday. I have some pictures of it which I will post to this thread. It landed in Auburn, ME and had extra fuel tanks pulled out to make room for passenger seating. From Auburn, it headed to California. Its final destination will be Oshkosh.