Author Topic: Climate change?  (Read 6560 times)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
Re: Climate change?
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
But is climate change bad? who knows? all we hear is speculation. What about the Medieval warming period?
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
incorrect. you are not allowed to operate your blender above medium for 1 week.  :neener:

I was operating the blender then too :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
I don't understand why the moon could leave its current orbit.  sure there always minute fluctuations in its orbit but I think newton was a pretty smart guy.

The Moon has been moving farther away from the Earth, every year since it parked itself around the planet.  About 1 inch a year.  It is an interesting topic in the orbital mechanics discussions.  I think many people forget the Moon is also being tugged at by the Sun, Venus, and Jupiter, as well as Earth.  The interaction between those bodies is complex and will vary, depending on alignments.  However, the gravitational force between the Sun and the Moon is, approximately (will vary with the Moon's orbital location relative to Earth and the Sun) over twice as large as that of the gravitational force between the Earth and Moon.

During the Moon's near apogee and while in New Moon, and Venus happens to be between Earth and the Sun, the gravitational pull on the Moon, away from Earth, is at its peak.  In this position, the Moon also happens to be going the opposite direction of Earth's solar orbit direction exposing the Moon to the Sun/Venus gravitational forces for longer periods of time.  This slows the Moon's approach to near perigee.  All indications show this particular interaction to be the cause of the Moon's drift away from Earth.

In my spare time (so little of that lately) I had been working on a computer model of this.  There are any number of possibilities, at this point in time.  Departure of the Moon from Earth's orbit is probable.  While I am not an expert on this topic, I find it fascinating and spend a bit of time keeping up on it.

Not to put down Newton, but he would probably struggle in a quality high school physics or trigonometry class today.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:59:24 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »
The Moon has been moving farther away from the Earth, every year since it parked itself around the planet.  About 1 inch a year.  It is an interesting topic in the orbital mechanics discussions.  I think many people forget the Moon is also being tugged at by the Sun, Venus, and Jupiter, as well as Earth.  The interaction between those bodies is complex and will vary, depending on alignments.  However, the gravitational force between the Sun and the Moon is, approximately (will vary with the Moon's orbital location relative to Earth and the Sun) over twice as large as that of the gravitational force between the Earth and Moon.

During the Moon's near apogee and while in New Moon, and Venus happens to be between Earth and the Sun, the gravitational pull on the Moon, away from Earth, is at its peak.  In this position, the Moon also happens to be going the opposite direction of Earth's solar orbit direction exposing the Moon to the Sun/Venus gravitational forces for longer periods of time.  This slows the Moon's approach to near perigee.  All indications show this particular interaction to be the cause of the Moon's drift away from Earth.

In my spare time (so little of that lately) I had been working on a computer model of this.  There are any number of possibilities, at this point in time.  Departure of the Moon from Earth's orbit is probable.  While I am not an expert on this topic, I find it fascinating and spend a bit of time keeping up on it.

The earth will then probably spin out of control.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »
The earth will then probably spin out of control.

That is the theory, at the moment.  It is logical, but the models have not yielded a consistent answer, yet.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
Well, you learn something new every day. I had never heard of this.

Life and the Universe is relentlessly fascinating.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
where's the moon going! :cry

last time I saw it , it was heading west on I-20 hanging out a cars window
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
But is climate change bad? who knows? all we hear is speculation. What about the Medieval warming period?

it is in fact not.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »

The Brewster fascinates me in regards to its prowess :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »

I agree.... Ever changing and our knowledge expanding.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2012, 08:02:59 PM »
Punting topics like global warming is against the rules and besides, the debate is over.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Hmmm.....is POSTING in a necro-thread the thing, or merely referencing it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »

In my spare time (so little of that lately) I had been working on a computer model of this.  There are any number of possibilities, at this point in time.  Departure of the Moon from Earth's orbit is probable.  While I am not an expert on this topic, I find it fascinating and spend a bit of time keeping up on it.

Not to put down Newton, but he would probably struggle in a quality high school physics or trigonometry class today.

Will the moon's gravitational pull affect the trajectory of the 50mm round in the 410?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:22 AM »
I have not noticed the Moon moving away :old:

I looked at it for a good 10 minutes at it was not doing any moving :old:

I will keep the AH community informed of any developments if they occur :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
The citizens of Niburu will save us all in December anyways...
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac