Author Topic: New Arena  (Read 1354 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
New Arena
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
 :x  :airplane: What I would like to see in a new map is just this. Japan and South Pacific area. Britain and Western Europe. You could only launch aircraft which were used by those countries to either attack or defend. I realize we already have those maps in special events arena's, but would be new and interesting to try them in Early, Mid and Late war arena's. Bet we would all be surprised at the response to that challenge. (I can already hear the nay sayers whacking away on there key boards to this thread).
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
Re: New Arena
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
How would those arenas attract more players than the ghost town of a venue we call the AvA?  :headscratch:
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
How would those arenas attract more players than the ghost town of a venue we call the AvA?  :headscratch:
:airplane: We flew in the "Last Bomb" and it was an outstanding event...even included attacking at night, which made for a much more interesting mission than the day and day out base captures in the main arena's now. You could have actual reenactment missions to certain targets and have the same tough conditions in which to try to complete the mission or defend the "Home Land". Just looking for something different. The special events usually have so many do's and don't's that I just don't care anything about fooling with them. The main problem I see now in the arena's now are the inaccurate dog fights and aerial combat. When did you ever see a P-51D chasing down another P-51D or F4U shooting down C-47's? La La's being a main killer of other aircraft. Don't think so! How about the "Brewster", one of the worst fighters in WW2, but a top dog in here in the right hands. A A-20 shooting down 262's? Just saying!!!!

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
you missed his point.. the arena you wish for already exists.. Axis vs allies. and barely anyone plays there.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Don't think so! How about the "Brewster", one of the worst fighters in WW2, but a top dog in here in the right hands.

You're making the mistake of thinking our Brewster is the F2A-3 that the Marines used early in the war.  The Brewster we have is the export version (B-239) of the F2A-1, which according to Pappy Boyington could turn circles inside of a phone booth and the Finns used to great effect against the Soviets.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »
:x  :airplane: What I would like to see in a new map is just this. Japan and South Pacific area. Britain and Western Europe. You could only launch aircraft which were used by those countries to either attack or defend. I realize we already have those maps in special events arena's, but would be new and interesting to try them in Early, Mid and Late war arena's. Bet we would all be surprised at the response to that challenge. (I can already hear the nay sayers whacking away on there key boards to this thread).

I am toying with a map concept for AvA that could have most major theaters going at once.

There would be a wall separating the two halves to keep zeros out of ETO or MTO etc.

To make it work, it would be skewed, stretched and totally out of scale, but it still might get done someday.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:33:52 PM by jimson »

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »
my 2 cents...i love the idea! but like everyone else had said it would end up like the AvA...needles to say i LOVE LOVE LOVE the AvA but never no one in it so i dont play in it.

if you want all that go to FSO and wed night snap shot. i wish there was more AVA style fighting and or planes not leaving their respective theaters. no zekes in the ETO for me it wouldnt hurt i mostly fly 38s 47s and your occasional p40 or pony lol all of which were used in every theater
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
you missed his point.. the arena you wish for already exists.. Axis vs allies. and barely anyone plays there.

:airplane: Yes, you are correct and the reason no one plays in there much is it needs to be "tweaked" a little to make it more interesting. Example, each country should be restricted to the type of aircraft that country deployed in combat. Actually, the early and mid war arena's come close to what I am proposing, just need to redesign the country's displayed in the arena and a pilot would have to use the aircraft from that country. I don't recall any ME-262's flown in combat for the American or British forces!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
You're making the mistake of thinking our Brewster is the F2A-3 that the Marines used early in the war.  The Brewster we have is the export version (B-239) of the F2A-1, which according to Pappy Boyington could turn circles inside of a phone booth and the Finns used to great effect against the Soviets.

ack-ack
:airplane: No, just mispelled the name of the aircraft and the Finns were flying against poorly trained pilots!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
:airplane: Yes, you are correct and the reason no one plays in there much is it needs to be "tweaked" a little to make it more interesting. Example, each country should be restricted to the type of aircraft that country deployed in combat. Actually, the early and mid war arena's come close to what I am proposing, just need to redesign the country's displayed in the arena and a pilot would have to use the aircraft from that country. I don't recall any ME-262's flown in combat for the American or British forces!

What you are describing is the way the AvA is run 99% of the time. Very rarely we run a Korean war simulation using 262's for both sides.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:34 AM »
he prolly doesnt know much about AvA because he never goes in...its more or less a dead server from what ive seen... i would love to see the AvA back to what it use to be
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
The AvA has always fluctuated a lot in population, but we get it going from time to time. A lot of folks are vacationing and such right now and we haven't had a lot of time to keep up with the promotion but we will.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
i look forward to it. i love the idea of AvA and use to fly it back in the day

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
The AvA has always fluctuated a lot in population, but we get it going from time to time. A lot of folks are vacationing and such right now and we haven't had a lot of time to keep up with the promotion but we will.

Yup, earl is asking for the AvA, he just doesn't know it. 

Jimson that skewed global map thing is an awesome idea.   :rock

I think that would go a long way in bringing in more folks because there would be a larger variety of planes to fly.    :aok

Keep up the great work, folks really do appreciate the work you all do, despite the claims of it being a ghost arena..... it has always been fun to find a few paranormal bodies and try to put them to rest  ;)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »
How would those arenas attract more players than the ghost town of a venue we call the AvA?  :headscratch:

this

AvA is so nice. . .just not enough traction to really make it go.

oh, and love the brewster re-imagination possible thread killer. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO