Author Topic: Rate of drop.  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
Rate of drop.
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
I'm looking to see if anyone out there has the information on the specific round drop rate's that Ah uses.

I'm doing a convergence study on 50 cal rounds in a specific ride.   I am interested to find some ballistic data that would help me to account for the drop rate as well as time.

I've found some resources that have this info, but their accuracy is dependent on the the number of grains, barrel length, and also at their zero'd distance.

I have a feeling that most of this will amount to a fairly negligible +/- error, but I'm just trying to be thorough.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Rate of drop.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
I think bustr already did a data chart on this.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »
Yes, it is 32.2 ft/s/s.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
Yes, it is 32.2 ft/s/s.

Doesn't everything drop at 32.2 ft/s/s?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
On Earth, yes.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
Sorry, I am particularly irritated by idiots today, which of course Ten60 might not be.

The better question Ten60, is how far the bullet travels while that constant is applied to it.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:17 AM »
As a former squaddie I'll vouch that he is no idiot. 
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »
I'm looking to see if anyone out there has the information on the specific round drop rate's that Ah uses.

I'm doing a convergence study on 50 cal rounds in a specific ride.   I am interested to find some ballistic data that would help me to account for the drop rate as well as time.

I've found some resources that have this info, but their accuracy is dependent on the the number of grains, barrel length, and also at their zero'd distance.

I have a feeling that most of this will amount to a fairly negligible +/- error, but I'm just trying to be thorough.

Have you used the .target command at different ranges?

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:29 AM »
Have you used the .target command at different ranges?

Good idea.  But what are the physical dimensions of the target in game?

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
As a former squaddie I'll vouch that he is no idiot. 
<S> Thank you sir.

To answer your sarcasm nsshida...  I'm actually rather intelligent.  What exactly I'm trying to do its find the convergence on a specific plane (had to research the exact gun positions...) where the path stays inside a 4 foot box (2 feet to left and right of the center line of the target plane) for the maximum amount of time.  Part of the calculations have included the time of flight and how many feet that adds to the shot, i.e a 400 yard shot has a flight time of .482 seconds.  During that flight a plane going 300mph will travel an additional 71 yards. 

That being said, I developed some graphic line formulas where I can see the spreads and determine where the converg should be set.  Also taking into account longer shots (since a converg of 200 would make an 800 yard shot very very difficult)

So where is this going if I've found that?  I'm thinking of writing a program that shows the exact trajectories including drop.  This way I can create a target box and find a good fit for the convergence.

But thanks for your help. :salute
The better question Ten60, is how far the bullet travels while that constant is applied to it.
What alt was the round fired at?  Truthfully I am only interested in the first 1,000 yards, thus muzzle velocity and energy have a great impact on the true number, although the variance will probably only be less than a foot at the most.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »
To answer your sarcasm nsshida... 

That was not sarcasm, it was terse response, which I later explained was due to my contact today with other idiots. If your reading and comprehension skills were commensurate with your intelligence then you would know this. There, now that was sarcasm.

Your calculation can be facilitated through a brief study of external ballistics, and finding the muzzle velocity & ballistic coefficient for your chosen projectile. There are lesser factors too if you want to go into exhaustive detail. For a popular round like that one there are probably already ballistic tables available. I performed this exercise myself for the Japanese Ho-5 20-mm and additionally calculated a table of speeds of aircraft in fuselage lengths per second, but ultimately gunnery in Aces High is best learned by some small theoretical study and then lots of practical application.

If you are trying to find your ideal convergence for a favourite aircraft then it depends greatly on the kind of shots you take, imho.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
That was not sarcasm, it was terse response, which I later explained was due to my contact today with other idiots. If your reading and comprehension skills were commensurate with your intelligence then you would know this. There, now that was sarcasm.

Your calculation can be facilitated through a brief study of external ballistics, and finding the muzzle velocity & ballistic coefficient for your chosen projectile.
You're cute when you try to be cool.

Im aware of what all you've said, but they aren't answers to my questions considering the 50 cal round has been made from ~650 grains up to ~800 grains.  This alters the drop rate, which was my initial question.

:airplane:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Every round in Aces High is modeled using the historical information about the round (mass/weight) and the gun it is fired from (velocity).  It is physics driven and every round is modeled.

There is also a certain amount of gunshake modeled, which causes some drift of every round fired.  Some are worse (wing mounted guns) than others (cowl mounted guns).

Do not ask me about specific data for any given round as I have reached the pinnacle of my expertise, with this post, in this particular realm.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
You're cute when you try to be cool.

Im aware of what all you've said, but they aren't answers to my questions considering the 50 cal round has been made from ~650 grains up to ~800 grains.  This alters the drop rate, which was my initial question.

:airplane:

I thought you said you were: 'rather intelligent'?

No, the weight of the projectile does not alter the drop rate. The drop rate is a constant as I explained above. Ignoring the detailed stuff (which is probably a good idea), what you are trying to calculate is how far the projectile has travelled over time. With this you can plot a roughly parabolic curve which is a consequence of the combination of deceleration and the application of 1G in a downward direction: 32.2 ft/s/s.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Thank you Skuzzy, my question is answered.

Nrshida.  While your constant 32.2 f/s is the rate, the weight does matter. 

A 647 grain round is fired at approx 3,044 ft/s.
A 800 grain round is fired at approx 2,895 ft/s.

The 647 grain round drops 32.2 feet after the second just like the 800 grain one, AS you stated...

The problem is, after 400 yards of flight the 647 grain round falls only 4.23 feet (because at 3,044 f/s the round only takes .1314 second to fly, then multiplied by the constant) and the 800 grain round falls 4.45 feet (2,895 ft/s) it does matter.  Like I also said in an earlier post...  The difference will probably be negligible.  Of course the rate of velocity decay on the bullet due to drag and the heavier round's ability to compensate that drag with its higher ft/pds energy isn't included with this either, but again likely negligible.