Author Topic: Rudder Monsters  (Read 3590 times)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
Re: Rudder Monsters
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:10:03 AM »
I think we can all agree....

TA-152 !

True.

If you want to use a plane with great rudder control look no further.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:09:23 AM »
Wow I am learning so much from this email.  The 152. 109 better to the left with rudder.  F4U etc.

I can't wait to work more with these planes in this context.

Thanks for all the feedback.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:16 AM »
I love the rudder on the 109.... going to the left is a fair point... it's not as effective to the right, but it still works like a parachute if you use it right.

The 109s acceleration combined with a rolling, hard rudder input stop is a great way to get a con on your six to slide by and into perfect 30mm range.

My gunnery is hopeless, especially now that I fly so rarely, but the 109 is such a great dogfighter and the rudder is a real part of what makes it so good in a knife fight.

Whereas with the 152 and its rudder... I don't find that its good rudder control is of real benefit to you. If you're relying on it in a fight chances are you've already lost. (At least that's the case when I fly it... I'm a bit rubbish)
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
Ki 84, 152
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline hawkeye61

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
I love the rudder on the 109.... going to the left is a fair point... it's not as effective to the right, but it still works like a parachute if you use it right.

The 109s acceleration combined with a rolling, hard rudder input stop is a great way to get a con on your six to slide by and into perfect 30mm range.

My gunnery is hopeless, especially now that I fly so rarely, but the 109 is such a great dogfighter and the rudder is a real part of what makes it so good in a knife fight.

Whereas with the 152 and its rudder... I don't find that its good rudder control is of real benefit to you. If you're relying on it in a fight chances are you've already lost. (At least that's the case when I fly it... I'm a bit rubbish)

^Using the rudder to good effect will get the 109 to dance around the sky. If you really know what you are doing you can depart controlled flight and get it back smoothly, while other planes would spin and crash.
They leave this ship and they do their job. Then they must find this speck lost somewhere on the sea. When they find it they have to land on it's pitching deck.
Where do we get such men?

Hurricane Mk I: Scourge of the Storch

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
B29
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »
LA5 and 7 both have good rudder responce, imho
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »
LA5 and 7 both have good rudder responce, imho

I have been known on occasion to fly lala's, I would by no means say they have strong rudder authority.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
yeah most people would agree with you, but they seem to work well for me when I kick rudder; that's why I had to throw in the "imho" on my first post.  :salute
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
^Using the rudder to good effect will get the 109 to dance around the sky. If you really know what you are doing you can depart controlled flight and get it back smoothly, while other planes would spin and crash.

I don't think I've ever got a 109 into an uncontrollable stall. Without damage that is.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
I don't think I've ever got a 109 into an uncontrollable stall. Without damage that is.

that's because you throttle down instead of fight the torque as you spiral down towards the ground - but yah, 109 is like an arrow, they straighten out nice.

As for rudder, F4U and all the US navy planes and the 152 have noticeable rudder (152 rudder will kill you if you are not super super gentle with it)

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 04:01:01 AM »
The F6F rudder is very effective. I use it a lot as an air brake to force overshoots as well as combined with aileron to generate a snap roll. It is vital for my gunnery as well, can't hit a thing if I lose my rudder. In fact losing a rudder is basically RTB damage for me, whereas I can still fight effectively after losing an elevator or aileron.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 04:32:34 AM »
Ki84 has rudder monster effect too.
sometimes I tried it in TnB, rolling scissors.
it causes rudder cobra maneuvers, and I can overshoot target.
it causes inverted deep stall though....

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
The F6F rudder is very effective. I use it a lot as an air brake to force overshoots as well as combined with aileron to generate a snap roll. It is vital for my gunnery as well, can't hit a thing if I lose my rudder. In fact losing a rudder is basically RTB damage for me, whereas I can still fight effectively after losing an elevator or aileron.
:airplane: I doubt if there is a better F6F pilot in this game, than you sir!!  :salute There are some interesting view points about different aircraft rudders in this thread, but I think one thing people are missing, " All single engine Navy fighters" had larger than normal rudders and length of rudder travel to aid in handling on aircraft carrier decks. They needed the "extra" rudder size and travel because of operating in close quarters to other aircraft and equipment. Another point is the approach speeds, (slow as possible), and the torque and "P" factor envolved with R-2800 and R-3350 engines. There was even an expermental F4UD-39??, which had a R-4360 but don't know if it ever when into production. Can you imagne traying to take off on a "Essex" class carrier with that monstor up front?(the R-4360)  :old:
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »