Author Topic: Most skill based sport?  (Read 21186 times)

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Re: Most skill based sport?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »
Many have said already. Baseball and golf would come to mind first. Lack of skill in soccer or american football can be overcome by pure athleticism  I.E. strength, speed, and size. That goes for basketball as well, come to think of it.

Offline MrMeanie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »
The sport of understanding women.

+1
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
Racing isnt a sport.  And no I won't debate it with you.  I LOVE racing and would watch racing almost over any other programming...  But no.

Golf, Boxing, the 10 meter platform diver...  That scares the s$&t outta me.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
Isle of Man TT would get my vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS43s3slbGY&feature=related

Extreme skill needed just to survive it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
Racing isnt a sport.  And no I won't debate it with you.  I LOVE racing and would watch racing almost over any other programming...  But no.
how do you figure? takes a great deal of physical endurance on the body and mind, drivers need to be in shape to do half way well, the other comes from skill, and practice. all things an athlete needs, no?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
cricket. its bewilderingly technical and relies on fast-twitch muscle genes and all round athletic ability as well as cat-like reflexes. not to mention requiring the mentality of both a sprinter and a endurance runner.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
The sport of understanding women.

Thread = Done. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
cricket. its bewilderingly technical and relies on fast-twitch muscle genes and all round athletic ability as well as cat-like reflexes. not to mention requiring the mentality of both a sprinter and a endurance runner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMhT_wgBwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgz5-XToJIw&feature=related

:noid
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:29:26 PM by Krupinski »

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
I would say golf, just by observation.

Those that play basketball, soccer, football, baseball, tennis etc after a few years reach a level of proficiency where they can play at competitive levels. From what I understand most golfers will play 10, 20+ years and never break 100 (par being 72).

I suppose if one plotted this, then graphed it the bulk would suck at golf, so a fraction over this curve would be competetive?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
Baseball requires a good deal of skill, i put so much into my hitting mechanics, from head to to toe, but ide say Gymnastics looks pretty damn hard to , as ive never done it though  :P
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
Baseball requires a good deal of skill, i put so much into my hitting mechanics, from head to to toe, but ide say Gymnastics looks pretty damn hard to , as ive never done it though  :P
Baseball really isnt, technique, to a degree, but its a very basic sport in contrast to other sports. I feel.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
Baseball really isnt, technique, to a degree, but its a very basic sport in contrast to other sports. I feel.
I understand your feelings  :)
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
My thoughts:

Baseball as a whole isn't hard -- hitting a baseball is hard!  Being a really good pitcher is hard as well.

Golf isn't a sport, it's a game, albeit a game that requires a lot of skill.  It's not hard to become a 10-15 handicap, but to become a scratch golfer, that's a lot of practice and skill.  It's also not a physically demanding game in the sense that you can be very out of shape and still be good at it.

Car racing and other motorsports are physically demanding and require great reflexes and coordination.

Soccer requires a lot of skill with the feet.  Being in the peak physical condition comes with playing the game.  But the ball control, while being whacked and pushed around, is a tough skill to master.

My picks would be gymnastics (all aspects), hockey (ice skating, handling a puck, shooting) , and polo (master horseback riders that hit a ball with a mallet while galloping around??)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."