Author Topic: Most skill based sport?  (Read 21187 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Most skill based sport?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
Sailed in an ocean race from Jax to St. Augustine.  32ft boat, IIRC.

Real sailing?  jib, mainsail, and spinnaker.

Did you skipper her?

Deck monkey or rail meat does not qualify as sailing.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Did you skipper her?

Deck monkey or rail meat does not qualify as sailing.

neg, not in that race... but have other times. :)

nuff said though.... just saying I see it more as fun than skill, although skill is certainly involved.

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
The problem with golf, chess, and a few others mentioned, is that they're games, and this thread asks about sports.  I'm going to go with baseball.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »
The problem with golf

It is a sport.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »
Many have said already. Baseball and golf would come to mind first. Lack of skill in soccer or american football can be overcome by pure athleticism  I.E. strength, speed, and size. That goes for basketball as well, come to think of it.

I dont think so.  if you cant kick or move the ball around in soccer you can run all you want but you will only get tired.  same for football run all you want but if you cant have the skill to determine where to go well you end up in the bench.

like a comedian said years ago “Golf is a good walk spoiled.” as for baseball how much skill do the other 7 guys  need, to watch the pitcher throw the ball to the catcher?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
I was going to say Dwarf/Midget Tossing but thinking about it more, success in that sport is more dependent on athletic skill and strength.  Sure, a fine knowledge of Dwarf/Midget aerodynamics is needed but brute strength can trump skill in that sport.

ack-ack

Sadly my state was the first to ban this as "humiliating" to a human being - even though people signed up for it - got paid for it and made a career out of it.
/make it worse? they made far more then I did in one year......

JG 52

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
Hitting a 90+ mph fastball is about the hardest thing to do in sports
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 03:17:31 AM »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »

thats why I vote cricket - same speeds, similar ball (a bit heavier and alot harder) but it can come at you from almost any angle, on either side, anywhere from your toes to your head. the bounce adds a whole extra layer of complexity and unpredictability to it. plus you dont just face 3 pitches, you can be out there for hours at a time facing 100s of 90mph balls ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
You guys ever see Olympic ping-pong? Those guys move at speeds exceeding wtf.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMhT_wgBwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgz5-XToJIw&feature=related

:noid

:rofl

didnt see the guy pitching at the cricketer but I hope it was underarm softball style, because the baseball player was not facing even school-level bowling. no runup. soft and straight ready for the guy to swing at. no runup! this guy would be out first ball in club cricket.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
Lawn Dart catching.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »

Given how often the best baseball players in the world miss 90+ mph fastballs repeatedly, looks more like luck than skill to me. :headscratch:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:08:21 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
It is a sport.

What makes you consider it a sport rather than a game that requires a physical skill?
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »
Golf.

Why is this wonderfully maddening, royal and ancient game still played in the 21st century? What is it about this exhilaratingly taunting game that can make grown men cry, mold men into boys, make preachers swear and atheists pray? It is, without a doubt, the most infuriatingly challenging, temper-bendingly complex, sublimely enjoyable sport on earth. Simply put, it’s the best damn game ever invented.

No one disputes that golf is the most difficult of all games to master. But how can this be, since as the golfer prepares to hit his shot, neither the golf ball nor his target is moving? No one ever tackles the golfer. No one ever tries to catch or deflect the ball, and no one ever hits the ball back at him. And yet, making the flight of a golf ball behave consistently is harder than walking on water. Lifetimes are spent trying to change low, screaming, banana slices into high, gentle draws.

Golfers routinely shell out obscene amounts of cash for the latest sets of irons or newest, high-tech drivers without blinking an eye. And they gladly fork over $4 each for the latest, soon to be lost, revolutionary new golf balls. Oh, and don’t forget the books, videos, magazines, training gadgets and gimmicks.

Let’s face it. Golfers are suckers. If all the distance and accuracy promised by all the products they’ve bought over the years actually made it out to the course with them, every par 4 would be a drive and a putt and the average golfer would be playing on Sunday afternoons with Phil Michelson, Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson. But sadly, the reality is no matter how much money the average golfer spends, he can’t buy a birdie and certainly can’t break 80.

Some days the golf swing is so easy, even effortless. And other days it is nowhere to be found. Sometimes a golfer gets so confused and confounded by his so-called swing that he doesn’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his ass. But, therein lies the unrelenting, magnetic pull of golf.

It’s often said after a bad bounce or lipped out putt, “Man, that’s not fair.” But nowhere in the rules of golf does it say that golf will be fair. The rules do say, however, that every stroke shall be counted, even the ones that miss the ball. There is no such thing as a bad bounce or a good bounce in golf; it is simply the “rub of the green.” Golf makes no accommodation for double faults or foul balls. It’s just the player against the course, and when crunch time comes, there are no co-pilots, pinch hitters or time outs. In baseball, a 450-foot shot over the wall definitely counts more than a drag bunt single down the first base line. But in golf, a three-foot putt counts the same as a 300-yard drive, thank you very much.

True golfers are totally and utterly addicted to the game and freely admit it. Every mirror or window passed by is a chance to check a position at the top of the swing. Every pretty day is an excuse to sneak away from work a little early for a quick nine holes. Golfers live for daylight saving time.

There is nothing in the world more pitiful than watching a golfer with the yips. And, when a golfer’s swing goes bad, it can get ugly in a hurry. The post play description of a bad round sounds like a square dance call at the Tennessee State Fair: “Hooked it to the left and sliced it to the right. Hit it thin, hit it fat, boy what a sight!”

But when a golfer does manage to find his swing, even for just one glorious, TV shot, the world is perfect again and his hope to master the game is resurrected. He resolves to keep that swing for all eternity, usually only to lose it on the very next hole.