Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 617 times)

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
Friday the 13th
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
 :salute Anyone know the origins of friday the 13th?

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
The day the Templars were arrested in 1307.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
Indeed.  Or so says the legend.  It was mentioned when I earned rank of Master Mason.  I do not remember the entire lesson, but it had to do with how power corrupts even the the most sacred (pope) and "purest" (royalty) of people.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
I've never had a bad Friday the 13th. However I have noticed most Monday the 16ths blow chunks.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Jesus died on a Friday and Judas was the 13th disciple... or so they say.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
I've never had a bad Friday the 13th. However I have noticed most Monday the 16ths blow chunks.

Doesn't every monday blow chunks?  :headscratch:

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
:salute Anyone know the origins of friday the 13th?

Preceded by Thursday the 12th?   :headscratch:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Superstition, man's hapless and futile attempt to impose causality and order on a chaotic world. The Romans for one had all sorts of superstitions regarding lucky and unlucky days to do important things like starting a war, building something, getting married, etc.

And of course it works, in a way. Forced by circumstance to start an important project on an "unlucky" day and the workers, half-expecting something bad to happen, do not give the task their full attention, so it's more likely something goes wrong. Start something on a propitious day and everyone is full of confidence and things go well.

And then confirmation bias reinforces the luckiness or unluckiness of things and the superstitions become part of society.

13 at dinner meant someone at the table was going to die soon. Certainly held true for the Last Supper. The lunar calendar might haven something to do with it too, but Jesus dying on a Friday seems a reasonable explanation for the unluckiness of Friday in the Christian world.

By contrast, for the Romans Friday, or Venus, the sixth day of the Roman week, was their luckiest day. But if you consider the Roman empire was arguably done in by the rise of Christianity then Friday was unlucky for them too. But that of course would be confirmation bias.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:07:21 PM by shiv »
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
Doesn't every monday blow chunks?  :headscratch:

Pretty much my point I just took a little longer route to to it.  ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
very interesting...I`m not stroking my beard by the way
how global is the friday the 13th  jinx?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
very interesting...I`m not stroking my beard by the way
how global is the friday the 13th  jinx?

I'll let ya know in about 2 1/2 hours. 

Coogan   :O
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
Ive flown an airplane the last 4 Friday the 13ths.....I flew several airplanes today. I'm still here.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
Treize69 is right.

Short version, after many crusades to Jerusalem the royal vaults across Europe were nearly empty. This lead to massive depressions, etc. The Templars were a knightly order of warriror monks, of sorts. They were officially ordained by the Pope and were tasked with guardian Christian pilgrims as they journed to and from Jerusalem. Part of joining the Knights Templar was giving all of your earthly possessions to the order, taking vows and living with the sword and poverty.

Fact, our modern day system of writing checks in exchange of currency came from Templar castles located all over Europe. You could deposit gold in one Templar castle, say in Scotland. They would give you a receipt that was encrypted. You could travel to Italy, take the receipt to a Templar castle they would give you the gold, minus interest and handling fees. Prior to this one had to travel with all of their gold, or risk impoverishment. Over a few centuries the Templars became wealthier then any King, kingdom or the Catholic Church. In fact, those who wanted to join the order could not do so if they were indebted at all. Only those with money, or atleast no debt.

Fast forward to 1307, the King of France, desperate for cash struck a deal with the Pope. He made claims against the head of the Templars and the order in general. There was a secret decree to arrest all of these knights of god. Of course being a military order the arrest of these warrior knights was not to be taken lightly. Secretly the King of France sent orders to all his forces directing them to arrest all Templars throughout the kingdom. Of course they did not have email, phones, etc so the trick was to coordinate the arrest kingdom wide without the aide of modern communications. How do you issue such a broad decree without the Knights learning about it and responding? It was simple.

The king issued orders sealed in wax with the decree for arrest in the inside. On the outside was the simple direction, open and obey on Friday the 13th. So on that day, at dawn all through France the seal was broken, troops mounted and Templars arrested. Many escaped to other parts of Europe, with the last stronghold being in Scotland. Imagine the general populace and their reaction as they saw this play out. From that time on Friday the 13th was an unlucky day to be guarded against.

I did this research for my senior paper in college. Very interesting. And this is only the beginning of the story.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
I still don't see what that has to do with the holy grail or speed boats getting chopped up by slowly turning propellors.  And you left out the part about naughty zoot and the beacon over castle anthrax, not to mention why Tom Hanks can't find the grail in the hidden vault under the US capital.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:27 AM »
Treize69 is right.

Short version, after many crusades to Jerusalem the royal vaults across Europe were nearly empty. This lead to massive depressions, etc. The Templars were a knightly order of warriror monks, of sorts. They were officially ordained by the Pope and were tasked with guardian Christian pilgrims as they journed to and from Jerusalem. Part of joining the Knights Templar was giving all of your earthly possessions to the order, taking vows and living with the sword and poverty.

Fact, our modern day system of writing checks in exchange of currency came from Templar castles located all over Europe. You could deposit gold in one Templar castle, say in Scotland. They would give you a receipt that was encrypted. You could travel to Italy, take the receipt to a Templar castle they would give you the gold, minus interest and handling fees. Prior to this one had to travel with all of their gold, or risk impoverishment. Over a few centuries the Templars became wealthier then any King, kingdom or the Catholic Church. In fact, those who wanted to join the order could not do so if they were indebted at all. Only those with money, or atleast no debt.

Fast forward to 1307, the King of France, desperate for cash struck a deal with the Pope. He made claims against the head of the Templars and the order in general. There was a secret decree to arrest all of these knights of god. Of course being a military order the arrest of these warrior knights was not to be taken lightly. Secretly the King of France sent orders to all his forces directing them to arrest all Templars throughout the kingdom. Of course they did not have email, phones, etc so the trick was to coordinate the arrest kingdom wide without the aide of modern communications. How do you issue such a broad decree without the Knights learning about it and responding? It was simple.

The king issued orders sealed in wax with the decree for arrest in the inside. On the outside was the simple direction, open and obey on Friday the 13th. So on that day, at dawn all through France the seal was broken, troops mounted and Templars arrested. Many escaped to other parts of Europe, with the last stronghold being in Scotland. Imagine the general populace and their reaction as they saw this play out. From that time on Friday the 13th was an unlucky day to be guarded against.

I did this research for my senior paper in college. Very interesting. And this is only the beginning of the story.

Boo

Confirmation bias. The superstitions about the sixth day of the week and the number 13 go back much farther than the Templars.

And the number 13 at least ever since someone noticed the difference between the lunar and the solar cycles. So when the crops happen to fail in a year of 13 moons you have something to blame it on.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:01:46 AM by shiv »
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.