Author Topic: Better looking coastlines  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Better looking coastlines
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »
The coastlines in Machnix's Grinder terrain are very nice to look at. I have been wondering how this was done. It looks to be more than just textures, were the default water colours altered in some way and if so, how?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Better looking coastlines
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
it looks like he has used the coral texture over water to brighten it up.   

I've experimented with that and it does look similar.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
You probably already know how to change the water colors but just in case you don't, from the upper left menu go Settings > Terrain Type Settings and click the Change Ocean Color button.  I don't remember the default numbers but the ones I used are:

Ocean Color: Red 10, Green 48, and Blue 36.
River Color: Red 46, Green 51, and Blue 10.

With 0 Deep Ocean selected in the Terrain Type, clicking the Change Selected Color gives:

Color of Deep Ocean: Red 46, Green 59, and Blue 84.

Again, I remember playing with the Ocean Color but don't remember what the default values where or if I changed the colors for River and Deep Ocean.

As you guessed, I did create water textures (wntt00xx) for 01 and 03 thru 11.  Some of the textures where for the rivers and others for the ocean.  The textures where kept small, 256x256, to try and keep the terrain size small and it reduces the details to what you might be able to see if looking through real water.

The beach water texture, wntt0010, is light in color and turns darker in deeper water.  By varying the water depth, I attempted to create "surf" but did not use the coral texture.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
You probably already know how to change the water colors but just in case you don't, from the upper left menu go Settings > Terrain Type Settings and click the Change Ocean Color button.  I don't remember the default numbers but the ones I used are:

Ocean Color: Red 10, Green 48, and Blue 36.
River Color: Red 46, Green 51, and Blue 10.

With 0 Deep Ocean selected in the Terrain Type, clicking the Change Selected Color gives:

Color of Deep Ocean: Red 46, Green 59, and Blue 84.

Again, I remember playing with the Ocean Color but don't remember what the default values where or if I changed the colors for River and Deep Ocean.

As you guessed, I did create water textures (wntt00xx) for 01 and 03 thru 11.  Some of the textures where for the rivers and others for the ocean.  The textures where kept small, 256x256, to try and keep the terrain size small and it reduces the details to what you might be able to see if looking through real water.

The beach water texture, wntt0010, is light in color and turns darker in deeper water.  By varying the water depth, I attempted to create "surf" but did not use the coral texture.

If you're the one that created Grinder...  :salute   Awesome job, nicest looking map in rotation.   :rock

I do wish it was bigger so I could explore it more and it would stay around longer. 

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:36 AM »
Thanks Machnix, I'll check it out. Grinder is not only the best looking MA map it is the best for gameplay too IMO.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
Offline missions play quite well on the Grinder terrain.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear