Author Topic: Gunner for planes that can not fly in formations  (Read 1443 times)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
Gunner for planes that can not fly in formations
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
Would it be a fair option to be able to trade some perks to get an AI gunner for planes that have gunners but can not fly in formations? (Me-410, 110, Il-2, Ju-87, TBM, SBD etc )

The AI gunner:
1) Must not be operational during high-G maneuvering
2) Could be killed or his gun could be destroyed
3) Could give "6 calls" to the pilot
4) Could level up in accuracy if managed to shot down an enemy plane

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
Re: Gunner for planes that can not fly in formations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
like it but wat would decide the skill of that gunner would he have alot of trouble hiting his target or not
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »
Why burn perk points for an AI gunner when a player can join and gun for nothing but the effort it takes to make a friend?   :D
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
like it but wat would decide the skill of that gunner would he have alot of trouble hiting his target or not

Initially accuracy could be similar to that of field guns

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:05 AM »
Why burn perk points for an AI gunner when a player can join and gun for nothing but the effort it takes to make a friend?   :D

You can make this effort by flying as a wingman :) plus with AI gunner  ;)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:44:10 AM »
aper try flying as a gunner for those planes that you mentioned.  then think that if it is added it will be 1/2 of your accuracy.  that will more or less give you something to think about.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:44:52 AM »
As replacment for TT.

One day a week have a jump countries at will for 24 hours.

Give it about 3 months for the gamey finessing to be worked out and be introduced as a one night a week event like JSO almost became an every sunday event. If all of us had to practice impulse control in this game or the planet would explode as our punishment. The human race would be doomed.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:45:08 AM »
aper try flying as a gunner for those planes that you mentioned.  then think that if it is added it will be 1/2 of your accuracy.  that will more or less give you something to think about.

I agree that this gunner will not be able to defend your plane effectively but it will be  better than nothing as usually you do not have time to jump to gunner position anyway.  

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:46:48 AM »

I agree that this gunner will not be able to defend your plane effectively but it will be  better than nothing as usually you do not have time to jump to gunner position anyway.  

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:51:32 AM »
Even if the rear gunner is inaccurate, it gives the enemy pilot something to worry about. A couple of pings might make him break off an attack or at least jink out of the way. Some useful AI gunner commands might be a "fire/hold fire" toggle and a "gunner range" command for what distance he should open fire at. The noise of him firing would probably be all the six call needed.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 04:47:24 AM »
greebo if most guys will attack a bomber from their 6 knowing that they're gonna die, it sure wont stop them from attacking a tbm with an ai armed with a .30 cal for sure.   it is more a comfort for the pilot than a deterrent for an attacker.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 05:20:01 AM »
I know it won't stop the attack, but it might put the attacker off briefly. I occasionally fly TBMs or Ju 88s on torpedo attacks and tend to spend far more time in the pilot's position trying to screw bnzing fighters' shots than in the gunner's positions.  If he saddles up then I am history but it is surprising how many players can do nothing but bnz even against almost helpless targets. It would be nice if the pilot could concentrate on defensive flying without having to switch to a gun position at all. Besides I think having the rear gunners firing more of the time would add to the realism of the game.

BTW a TBM has a 0.5 inch gun in the turret and a 0.3 in in the lower gun position.

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:38:52 AM »
sound like a good idea combined with the . commands mentioned b4.
I think it should apply also for regular bombers.
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »
we dont want friends! this is WAR!  :rofl

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »

I want a AI turret gunner modeled after 999000 for my A-20 please  :cheers:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time