Author Topic: 410 vs Buffs tweek the balance?  (Read 4719 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: 410 vs Buffs tweek the balance?
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
The 410 carried more than 800 pounds of armor, mostly in and around the cockpit. AS others have pointed out, the cockpit floor was armored with metal, and so was the "flank" panels of the nose next to the armored window below the canopy. The pilot's seat and the gunner's side windows were armored along with the rear cockpit wall and parts of the side fuselage to the rear. Bomber-destroyers also had a large armored glass shield protecting the front canopy. Bomb bay and guns were armored and so was the ammo bin in the rear fuselage. Radiators and other vital components were also armored.

Our 410 seems to be lacking much of this armor.

As for the effectiveness of WWII armored glass. WWII armored glass usually comprised of multiple layers of hardened glass with thin transparent acetate sheets between. The Germans also used this type of armored glass on their tanks. German ace and all-round great guy Franz Stigler was shot in the face at point blank range while attacking a B-17. The .50 cal penetrated his armored windshield, but only had enough energy left to get stuck in Stigler's forehead. After the war he would point to a dent in his forehead and say "this is where the Americans shot me in the head".

The armored windshield of a 109G:

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2012, 07:48:54 PM »
Actually A6Ms were built fairly ruggedly as they have to survive carrier landings.  They just don't have any armor or self sealing fuel tanks.  I think Spitfires in AH are more fragile than A6Ms, at least their wings are.

In AH, the measurment is usually its ability to stand up to gunfire. I'm well aware of the fact that the A6M was built fairly strongly for carrier landings (as are all carrier aircraft), but thats not what I was refering to.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
In AH, the measurment is usually its ability to stand up to gunfire. I'm well aware of the fact that the A6M was built fairly strongly for carrier landings (as are all carrier aircraft), but thats not what I was refering to.
I think its wings take more than the Spit's to remove, gunfirewise.  Not sure, but it seems that way.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
I think its wings take more than the Spit's to remove, gunfirewise.  Not sure, but it seems that way.

IDK, I've always felt the spitfire's wings were just a touch stronger. Either way, they're both still among the weakest aircraft for withstanding gunfire.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
The armored windshield of a 109G:

Really? they used to walk around with their faces pressed against a piece of armored glass?
You can never be too careful.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »

After the war he would point to a dent in his forehead and say "this is where the Americans shot me in the head".

:aok
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named