Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius  (Read 348 times)

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
Oscar Pistorius
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistorius-makes-semifinals-olympic-400-094840467--oly.html

So some guy with magic legs Qualified to the semi's.

Fair? Not fair?

Personally i don't think it is fair but i don't know all the facts. Does his prosthetic weigh as much as a regular calf? Do his "blades" give him more acceleration?

Sure it's inspirational but it just doesn't seem fair. If he put on flippers could he compete in swimming? I don't like it. This is why they have paralympics.

Discuss...

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Oscar Pistorius
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:17:40 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistorius-makes-semifinals-olympic-400-094840467--oly.html

Sure it's inspirational but it just doesn't seem fair. If he put on flippers could he compete in swimming? I don't like it. This is why they have paralympics.

^^^^ This.

See Rule #4

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
when he started out a few years back he was always a few seconds slower than everyone else and no-one cared slapped him on the back and said good effort when he finished butt last. 

Now that he can run just as fast as regular athletes your saying that he is somehow cheating because he got both of his legs blown off?  Maybe he just went away and trained twice as hard.

Are you saying he should run in one event and not both?  I'm not sure whether he totally cleans house in his para-olympic event but if he is fast enough then I say why not let him compete in both.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
His low limbs and feet are effectively custom springs.

They are lighter, he needs less oxygen, less blood pumped to them, they do not cramp, do not require co-ordination. The flipside is of course it is harder for him, but imho this shaves to close to full bionic augmentation.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Poor little tink tink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlNEmpxQxI (Language warning)
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
Really? Give the guy a break. In fact give people in general a break.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
His low limbs and feet are effectively custom springs.

They are lighter, he needs less oxygen, less blood pumped to them, they do not cramp, do not require co-ordination. The flipside is of course it is harder for him, but imho this shaves to close to full bionic augmentation.

Speaking as a double below the knee amputee, I can assure you that you have to pay MORE attention to coordination, not less.  You can't
correct balance with your ankles so you have to do it with your thigh muscles.   Maybe you guys should try running on drywall stilts and
see how easy it is.

From what I understand from the article, he has approval from the authorities to race, let him run.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Poor little tink tink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlNEmpxQxI (Language warning)

:rofl i love Kat. He is from Cincy, grew up in Avondale. Cool to see someone from Cincy in showbusiness, not many are. But as for tink tink i still don't think it is fair.  :aok

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
I read an article that summarized competing "scientific" analysis results of the dynamics.

On one side opposing his participation, they say that the springs weigh less than regular lower legs so his hip flexors can generate a faster turnover with less effort.  Also, the springs can be tuned to an average power output during the race based on his strength on any particular day, so he can wear the most efficient legs every time he races.  That way every single time his "foot" hits the ground, it compresses and rebounds at the exact RATE as well as returning the input energy.  Play with a slinky to see what I'm talking about...  It takes 10 times the energy to start a spring oscillating but once it gets into a stable cycle, it takes very little energy to continue oscillating.  So he can wear springs tuned to his weight, strength, optimum stride length and step rate. Other athletes must do this by coordinating the efforts of 20-30 muscles that fatigue unevenly.

On the opposite side, the company, backed up by independent analysis, claims that the springs can consistently return 90% of the input energy, just as claimed by the opposition study.  But this other study says that a person with regular legs can get an over 200% return on energy imparted above the knee, through coordinated muscle inputs as the foot, tendons, bones, etc. flex through the running cycle.

Me, I lean a bit towards the opposition position simply because I have seen how a normal person can make HUGE jumps and leaps when wearing spring shoes or even just hopping on a pogo-stick.  The ability to get in-sync with the spring rebound can I think give a large mechanical advantage, to the point where this runner is really running on reversed-joint lower legs and getting the same mechanical advantage a kangaroo gets when jumping.

Still, in this case I do not think his advantage is enough to use him as a single data point to determine whether or not he can participate.  I figure let him run and re-address the issue after more data points have been gathered.  Yea I suppose some athletes may feel unfairly put upon if some guy with spring legs beats them, but in reality there are at most 3 people who lose if Pistorius wins a medal, those who would have otherwise gotten one higher medal.  Everyone else is just griping and moaning about something that could have theoretically been unfair.  Only those who medal behind him or the one guy in 4th who would have gotten bronze had he not raced, are actually put out at all.  I'm not convinced that making those people feel better about their finish is reason enough to prevent Pistorius from competing.

If it turns out later on that either Pistorius or other athletes with similar prosthetics end up consistently faster than un-modified runners, then they can always go back and asterisk all the amputee athletes' results and bump up the place of everyone else in those races.  I'm not sure it's going to ever come to that though.  Walking on springs instead of lower legs is HARD and I simply don't think we will see world records being beat by amputees wearing unpowered spring prosthetics.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Maybe he just went away and trained twice as hard.

Food for thought...
See Rule #4

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:58 AM »
The guy has a lot of guts, inspirational. :salute
I can't imagine what he's been through. I say let the man run :aok
I hope he does win.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »

The problem I have is the gentleman did not make the olympic qualifying time in the events leading up to the olympics and should not be at them.  The qualifying races in africa that he won, left him a second to slow to meet the minimum Olympic bar.  I know I read a story around the end of June that highlighted his success and that he got a waiver to participate even though he did not meet the time requirement.  I can't find it now, but here's a June 23rd article indicating his missed time qualifier:

http://summergames.ap.org/jsonline/article/pistorius-misses-olympic-qualifying-time-again

Another article about his selection to the team for the 4x400 and his failure to get the required time for the individual event:

http://sports.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201207/89582.php

So I'm glad he's competing, but the last article references that he is competing in both the olympics and parlympic events.  To me, I'd think one or the other.