Author Topic: How do you make sounds?  (Read 789 times)

Offline spitter123

• Zinc Member
How do you make sounds?
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
Can someone tell me how to make sounds for the game?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: How do you make sounds?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
I bought a digital camera and discovered the mic isnt as good as I thought. So I bought a quality mic and digital recorder. Then I designed and built a laser mic for recording sounds you cant get in any other way.

Finally I bought Adobe Audition and took a college level course (several actually) on how to use the equipment and program. Then the wife and I set upon traveling to places like England to record tanks at tankfest and so on.

Very few people actually record real airplanes for their sounds. Just so you know.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »
I bought a digital camera and discovered the mic isnt as good as I thought. So I bought a quality mic and digital recorder. Then I designed and built a laser mic for recording sounds you cant get in any other way.

Finally I bought Adobe Audition and took a college level course (several actually) on how to use the equipment and program. Then the wife and I set upon traveling to places like England to record tanks at tankfest and so on.

Very few people actually record real airplanes for their sounds. Just so you know.

Woah! that's quite a quest! really cool!  :aok :salute
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
Its just how I do it. For your own personal use you can use anything you like but you cannot circulate other peoples work. Youtube is a very good source for private use or practice. You can also avoid the cost of editors by downloading something like Audacity. I use Audition because it came with the Adobe Creative Suite and because it offers multitrack mixing.

With vehicles it can be difficult to separate out the engine from track sounds. It is possible to use the EQ filters to separate some sounds. Using a sound for engine that includes the track will cause an idle vehicle to sound like its moving. I like to get a recording of a tank from about one-hundred feet at about half speed. Airplane recordings are a combination of aircraft recorded flying overhead at about 5k with a cockpit recording if possible and propeller too. You can adjust the timing to get rid of squealing doppler shifts after some practice. And of course there will always be some sounds that just have to be generated and those will require some imagination.

With the recorded sound of my smoke detector I was able to generate a stall horn klacker like we use in sailplanes and a radar 'blip' sound (no use in AH) as well as the mechanical sound of bomb releases. Just play around with the editor and see what you come up with. You cant break anything!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
Just for the beginners in here is this inspiration to draw from: Foley Sound Effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfZC2Iyx8g&feature=player_embedded