Author Topic: Have to cut through very hard plastic  (Read 21640 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Have to cut through very hard plastic
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
How would one go through this? I have to cut a very hard plastic in order to fit it in a build I'm doing. An example of the type of plastic I'm talking about would be like big toy car. It doesn't have to be an exact clean cut, I just have to reduce the size of the block by about 1 inch. I was thinking using an old kitchen knife and heating it up. I do have a razor teeth saw but I tried it this morning and it's nearly impossible to cut through it (maybe I'm not strong enough  :frown: ). It's definitely too hard to cut without any heat applied, at least with hand tools.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM by titanic3 »

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Have to cut through very hard plastic
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
Use a dremel with a cutoff wheel, if thats too small then use a 4 1/2" hand grinder with a metal cutting wheel on it.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. Is there any other option that doesn't involve using power tools? I don't own one and would have to ask a neighbor for one so Id rather not have to do that. If its the only option, then I guess I have mo choice.

semp

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
hack saw blade?? I have had to cut a lot of diferent things with just a hacksaw blade or a sawzall blade.  I try not to cut plastic with a power tool as it seems to melt it and make a huge mess, but thats my experience.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
Ah, now that you remind me, i think I do have a hacksaw. Sure is gonna take a lot of work though. It's about 2 inches of solid plastic I have to cut through, with only 3 breaks in the line that I'm cutting through.

semp

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
Ill come rip it in half for yuh  :devil
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:58:36 PM »
 Not sure of the type of plastic,shape ect. but you can use a wire to cut through plastic by simply heating it with an electric current.

A couple of aligator clips,some heavy "lead wire" and a thinner cutting wire and a power source is all you need. However the "hacksaw" wwill work and a sawsall with a metal blade will make short work of it. Amother method would involve a trim router but as you said you dont have the tools.

I worked with acrylics for awhile and we cut it with various things depending on the thickness and what needed to be done,cutting with a heated wire let you make bandsaw type cuts that were as smooth as the product.

:salute

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
Not sure of the type of plastic,shape ect. but you can use a wire to cut through plastic by simply heating it with an electric current.

A couple of aligator clips,some heavy "lead wire" and a thinner cutting wire and a power source is all you need. However the "hacksaw" wwill work and a sawsall with a metal blade will make short work of it. Amother method would involve a trim router but as you said you dont have the tools.

I worked with acrylics for awhile and we cut it with various things depending on the thickness and what needed to be done,cutting with a heated wire let you make bandsaw type cuts that were as smooth as the product.

:salute

If the guy doesn't have power tools he won't have supplies to build a heated wire either :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
A 24 tpi 12" hacksaw blade also works quite well on most plastics if you remove it from the frame, turn it round so the teeth cut on the in-stroke and wrap some tape around the first four inches for a handle. This is especially useful if you have to hold the item yourself.

Generally try to avoid inhaling the dust.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »
No tools? That sucks.

Is go with sawsall or circular with diamond blade.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:24 AM »
If you have a soldering iron, you can get an X-acto hot knife attachment. Cuts are perfect.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »
hacksaw, low tooth count :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply folks, I plan on doing it later today, will let you know how it goes.  :aok

semp

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
Power tools will only make the plastic melt, clog the blade and possibly "work harden" the material and potentially release vapors into the air that you are probably better off not inhaling.  A fine-toothed saw blade will also do the same thing.  You need to provide for chip clearance as the material is removed.

Use a hand saw, coarse toothed and a little soap if you need lubrication.  Take your time and it will come out just fine.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:16:34 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
(maybe I'm not strong enough  :frown: ).

Remember to let the tool do its work.  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234