Author Topic: ammo bunker  (Read 4539 times)

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
Re: ammo bunker
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
The MEGA bomb farms were on Tinian Saipan and Guam..

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
I would like more realism and I would like it configured to promote better game play..the one does not have to mutually and always exclude the other...........

the challenge is to find a way to enhance both imersion and fun rather than dismiss the exercise as futile under the assumption that it "aint broke" and "dont need fixin".

Local ordinance is tooooo easily porked IMO and game play is unbalanced due to this...........

btw out of ignorance how volatile is an un-armed and unfused 500GPB?
Ludere Vincere

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »
[quote

[/quote]

u still don't want to do to it what the fuse does to it:)   

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »
I would like more realism and I would like it configured to promote better game play..the one does not have to mutually and always exclude the other...........

the challenge is to find a way to enhance both imersion and fun rather than dismiss the exercise as futile under the assumption that it "aint broke" and "dont need fixin".

Local ordinance is tooooo easily porked IMO and game play is unbalanced due to this...........

Actually they are very inert when unfused with the steel plugs in the fuse openings..
Bomb them, and they'd go flying around like thousand pound hunks of shrapnel..
That is why they just left them in the open.. Fuse them, and it's a completely different story!

(edit) Fuses would be kept in the bunker! But, without fuses, the bombs are useless..
So, blow up the bunker, with the fuses = No Ord.. I guess it works out gamewise anyway!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:16:26 AM by RngFndr »

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
Actually they are very inert when unfused with the steel plugs in the fuse openings..
Bomb them, and they'd go flying around like thousand pound hunks of shrapnel..
That is why they just left them in the open.. Fuse them, and it's a completely different story!

(edit) Fuses would be kept in the bunker! But, without fuses, the bombs are useless..
So, blow up the bunker, with the fuses = No Ord.. I guess it works out gamewise anyway!

Confucius say....if you drop bomb on un-fused bomb 2 bombs go off...

Offline Poppy

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
Ammo ships were just about equal to an abomb blast without radiation! Imagine that in the game!!! Check out what happened in Pearl late in the war when one went off in the loch west of the base . . unarmed bombs are as volatile as armed bombs when inert, they're both the same when detonated but without fuse or detonators it's not nearly as easy to set off, they can still detonate without being armed if done right. :noid
Poppy XO -55FG/38FS-
"Heinie Honking and Loco Busting"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Lots of folks keep posting images of bases in England during the war, but what are the dates those pictures are taken?  I get a feeling they are at the point in the war were attacks from the enemy, let alone from the air, were near zero.  Why bother putting all ye stuff in a bunker when the chances of you getting hit are so slim?

In our case, the front moves around often.  While I completely disagree with making the ords bunker require 2k ords, I would say a beef up from 250(?) to at least 500 or possibly 750.  Would not want to push it further than 750, as it would likely cause more harm than good.  Radar seems to be okay-ish but fuel seems a little difficult to take out for what they are in.  Are Ords, Troops, Dar and Fuel set for 250lbs of ords to go up?  Having trouble remembering... :headscratch:

If all at 250, then what about this?

Ords: 500-750
Dar: 200
Fuel: 100*
Troops: 250

*I am not sure how well protected fuel stores were during the war.  I would guess that fuel tanks were fairly easy to destroy when out in the open like ours?

Since we don't get less than 75% fuel at a base with all fuel porked, lowering it's resistance may not be overly bad.  Were fuel stores spread out at bases like ours are or were they in a more centralized-ish location?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »
If the Ammo Bunker requires a 2,000+lb bomb (not any combination adding up to 2000+lbs, but individual bombs that large) hordes would be even more potent and CVs even shorter lived.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
In 1968 during Tet, Sappers got into the Ammo dump at Long Binh, and touch off a pad of 500 pounders.  At the time , the Long Binh Ammo dump was the largest ammo dump in the world.   It exploded in a chain reaction for another 21 days.   At the same time,  business was as usual,  picking up and dropping off loads of Ammo at the Long Binh  Ammo dump.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
he does have a point on saying that a single porker can destroy ord and radar alone, while being nearly unstoppable.

yes...way to easy for one suicidal/Kamikaze, one hit wonder, can take out all ords at bases surrounding a field they want to take. at least rkts, not cannons & a single plane.  :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
In 1968 during Tet, Sappers got into the Ammo dump at Long Binh, and touch off a pad of 500 pounders.  At the time , the Long Binh Ammo dump was the largest ammo dump in the world.   It exploded in a chain reaction for another 21 days.   At the same time,  business was as usual,  picking up and dropping off loads of Ammo at the Long Binh  Ammo dump.

Only because they "Cooked-Off" low order detonation. If they had gone live, WOW! that would have been a light show for sure. We lost 5x F-111's due to a bad ground bolt in the flight line while loading LOX. All5 were loaded w/ 500lb'ers. Still 1/4 mile down the runway we could hear flack skipping down the runway, ting, ting, ting....talking about trying to dig a whole in the floor to get under it....   :eek: :uhoh
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
I think this is more a case of Hitech wanting players to be able to make an impact on the battle with strategy even if they fly solo.

Porking is a full dimension of gameplay by itself in my opinion.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
Only because they "Cooked-Off" low order detonation. If they had gone live, WOW! that would have been a light show for sure. We lost 5x F-111's due to a bad ground bolt in the flight line while loading LOX. All5 were loaded w/ 500lb'ers. Still 1/4 mile down the runway we could hear flack skipping down the runway, ting, ting, ting....talking about trying to dig a whole in the floor to get under it....   :eek: :uhoh

it was a very impressive light show and it was a combination of rounds cooking off and other's going off from delayed sapper charges .  Plus the little bugger had run accross a pad of claymores and had taken the time to rig a few with trip wires.  EOD never stood a chance.  I think by the end of Tet, EOD at Long Binh and lost like half their detatchment.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
That sucks!  :salute :salute :salute
WildWzl