Author Topic: Gun control laws do they work ?  (Read 18682 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Gun control laws do they work ?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »

There are may dangers in most people's lives that have a much greater chance of occurring than gun violence which people do not prepare for. Yet given these statistics people continue to argue that they need to be prepared for it. This at best suggests a missed placed set of priorities and is clearly an irrational argument. One can only conclude that it is fear that is motivating this irrationality.

Care to elaborate on some of these risks?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
Care to elaborate on some of these risks?

Maybe another time, I'd hate to push mir further emotionally overboard have him fall into the #1 (heart attack) or #10 (suicide) slot of causes of death in the US. I'm happy and surprised the conversation remained civil for as long as it did despite our different opinions.

Well, I guess #10, suicide, can be committed with a gun thus can be potentially gun violence, I might have to eat crow on that  :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:18:09 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
Mir,

Its clear with your childish defensive response, condescending rhetoric and disrespectful attitude you want to take the conversation up a notch...

thats not going to happen.

btw nice straw man arguemnt around purchasing and use of automatic weapons... good it should be difficult to acquire them.

I'll leave with this parting comment

EDIT: I pressed ctrl-w by accident...

There are may dangers in most people's lives that have a much greater chance of occurring than gun violence which people do not prepare for. Yet given these statistics people continue to argue that they need to be prepared for it. This at best suggests a missed placed set of priorities and is clearly an irrational argument. One can only conclude that it is fear that is motivating this irrationality.

Indeed, there are many dangers that stalk people. That, however, doesn't mean that we don't prepare ourselves for those dangers. Simply carrying a gun does not prepare you for much. The fact is that the real preparation is mostly mental. If not mentally prepared, a firearm will not usually be of much use. I have no issue with people being armed. I do, however, have an issue with stupid people assuming that the firearm will make a difference, even if they are not mentally prepared. I urge anyone who wants to carry to get training... Train your mind, train with the firearm. Learn the skills that are necessary to function in a combat situation. People without training are far less likely to be successful than those with... If you're not fully prepared to take a life, leave the gun home.... If you cannot retain the fine motor skills required to be efficient with a firearm in a near panic situation, leave the gun in the closet. There are three types of reactions in an emergency situation. 50% of the public will panic, freeze and do absolutely nothing. 40% will do something if instructed to do so. Only 10% will act immediately, while forming a plan of action. If you're not one of the 10%, you will still be a victim. If you're in the 50%, training may just keep you alive. If among the 40%, training will go a long way towards your not only surviving, but being able to defend yourself and others. If you are in the 10%, training will make you a steely-eyed killer, someone the bad guy will regret having encountered. Before considering to carry a firearm, everyone needs to do a soul-searching self assessment and figure out which group you're in. Why? Because an idiot with a gun is still an idiot.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Gun control laws work if the goal is to make more victims for those who use guns illegally.

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »
Maybe another time, I'd hate to push mir further emotionally overboard have him fall into the #1 (heart attack) or #10 (suicide) slot of causes of death in the US. I'm happy and surprised the conversation remained civil for as long as it did despite our different opinions.

Well, I guess #10, suicide, can be committed with a gun thus can be potentially gun violence, I might have to eat crow on that  :D

Yawn.  Is this it?  Remained civil?  The bottom of page 2, post #29, is where you decided to opine and spew your ignorant garbage.

You're a joke, Ardy.  You probably do think that I'm pounding away at my keyboard, angry at you, when I'm actually enjoying the game.

In both the PMs and here, you end up without a rebuttal other than trying to insinuate that I'm one of your stereotypes.

You're gonna have a fun time in life once you leave the womb.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
Ardy and mir, you guys are just proving once again why it is bad to have political discussion

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
Ardy and mir, you guys are just proving once again why it is bad to have political discussion

Well, this one is bad, but the conversation with TonyJoey was very even keeled and well conversed for quite some time.  He had ideas, those of us who disagreed explained why, and it went back and forth.  It just depends on the debaters. 
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
You are correct, I should have completely ignored him and his repeated attempts to insult me, instead I stooped a bit to his level, my apologies to everyone else in the thread.
 :salute
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
You are correct, I should have completely ignored him and his repeated attempts to insult me, instead I stooped a bit to his level, my apologies to everyone else in the thread.

As you state with an insult.   :aok

:lol
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »
Gun control laws work, bit the US is too far gone imho. The horse has truely bolted and you'll never regain control.

Feel free to have a read up on New Zealand's gun control laws - they're not perfect - but our gun crime is low enough they count every callout to a kid with a toy gun as a firearms callout  :D

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
Grizz I think that the founding fathers intended for the people to be able to arm themselves on the same basic level as the government can arm its personal .  You are right though they could not have known the increase in lethality that was coming in the 20th century .

There is no information of any kind from the founding fathers to back up your assertion about the citizens being armed as a standing Army.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2012, 01:20:12 AM »

Bunnies may live then.  My decree stands.  :O
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
I so want to comment, every time I start to.... I get carried away.....

so I will just say....NO they do not work.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:27 AM »
 quote author=Widewing link=topic=338256.msg4456703#msg4456703 date=1345769243]
I disagree. I have stopped two felonies using firearms, apprehending several sonsasqueakes (in 1980 and 1996) in the process. It didn't change the culture, but it resulted in 5 low-lifes getting time upstate in the bend-over Hilton... I can't cure the culture issues, but I can promise that those who would do harm to me and mine will regret their decision, at once and continuously thereafter.
[/quote]

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2012, 04:37:02 AM »
Hey lets go there.  I think all parolee's should be chipped.

I think everyone, and all babies at birth should be DNA sampled
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright