Author Topic: Active Weather  (Read 1319 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Active Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Maybe not hurricane style, but just any sort of weather.

1.  Variable visibility in different areas of the map based off of current weather conditions in your area
     Currently is arena-wide blanket setting
2.  Calm to Light wind, with varying direction based off location of the map to follow a similar weather pattern in real life.
3.  Variable weather across the entire map... there may be a 20-30-40-50 mile stretch of "bad" weather on a front moving across the map where aircraft would avoid, or have to 'go around'--- wouldn't expect it to cover the entire canvas.  Just scale it as appropriate.
     Currently is available as a "clouds file" either built into the terrain or in SEA/CA an optional arena command to load
4.  Variable cloud layers in different areas of the map based off of conditions.
     Currently is available as a "clouds file" either built into the terrain or in SEA/CA an optional arena command to load
5.  Just because it's 'raining' below the clouds doesn't mean it's not clear skies above it.

Just some thoughts, we have some pretty big maps.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
Upwind merge would hurt... The decreased speed/performance along with opponent having a increase in speed/performance would be real interesting to add into combat.

you are mistaken

both planes are flying thru the same airmass.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
Maybe not hurricane style, but just any sort of weather.

1.  Variable visibility in different areas of the map based off of current weather conditions in your area
2.  Calm to Light wind, with varying direction based off location of the map to follow a similar weather pattern in real life.
3.  Variable weather across the entire map... there may be a 20-30-40-50 mile stretch of "bad" weather on a front moving across the map where aircraft would avoid, or have to 'go around'--- wouldn't expect it to cover the entire canvas.  Just scale it as appropriate.
4.  Variable cloud layers in different areas of the map based off of conditions.
5.  Just because it's 'raining' below the clouds doesn't mean it's not clear skies above it.

Just some thoughts, we have some pretty big maps.

Not saying that it wouldn't require some effort on the coding side to make it work.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
I need to go to the library and learn how to do these things and not just suggest them.  :devil: Then I could email someone my ideas  :banana:

My thought was for active changing weather like we see irl. Different places on the map could have different weather systems much like you see on a Doppler Radar. With weather would bring wind to make Active Weather "move around" on the map. I see the clouds in the game... I can not hide in them for concealment nor do they ever bring rain. They are just some happy clouds over here and a few more happy clouds over there I do love them, don't get me wrong. I just was thinking out loud when I posted this. Combat>visual 100% agree! With weather and clouds brings rain which is probably a nightmare to write into the game let alone the amount of variable for weather and Barometric Pressure changes affecting aircraft performance the list gets insane really fast...

I was thinking about rain and clouds more so than making the game more realistic. If we had patchy clouds and small rain systems the wind that moves them around would not have to affect anything else in game only weather.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Upwind merge would hurt... The decreased speed/performance along with opponent having a increase in speed/performance would be real interesting to add into combat.

Wind does not affect flight performance. Wind is only a factor in relation to the ground.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
If weather is bad, WWII r planes don't fly.

Planes don't fly why have a game.

HiTech

What about turbulence? pockets of lift, layered wind effects?
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
Small pockets of poor weather would certainly add an extra dynamic.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
The flight would become a lot more realistic due to wind and it's dynamic too flight. That would be an interesting thing to have effecting the plane during combat...

WE HAD messed with wind settings in the ava a couple of times. it changes air to air combat a lot. it doesn't take much either. it's fun really.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
FAA-H-8083-25A

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Chapter 11 Weather Theory
 :bhead  :bhead  :banana:  :banana:  :bhead  :bhead

OmgwtfBabraStrisand my bad, this is Pandoras Box sry I posted about this topic. Don't lag my connection HiTech plz I won't post these thing again lol! I'll be sending booze your way!

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »
Small pockets of poor weather would certainly add an extra dynamic.

I'm already a dreadful shot. I can just imagine saddling up some enemy a/c and the second I squeeze the trigger I hit an air pocket and drop 50ft :cry
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
ACTUALLY, i was flying midwar the other night. round map. port in the southwest section was under attack. i rolled a pee38, and headed out that way. found a c47 and a b25 there. thought that the 25 was finishing off the town whilst the 47 waited outta ack range. went for him. he saw me coming, and headed for the fog. yes. fog. and it was hard as hell to see him once he got in it. low alt with less than a mile vis is nerve wracking. it was fun.

the mistake i made, however was that he'd already dropped the troops, and the 25 was heading to the base to land...i think he didn't make it either.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)