Author Topic: Question  (Read 2437 times)

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
Question
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
Do you feel as though you learn more from fighting players of more experience or fighting players of equal skill ?

Was not sure where to post this move it if need be skuzzy.  :angel:

Apologies If I may seem stupid to post this but I find it an interesting Topic.

Discuss.  :salute   

=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
 :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
Depends on how much is passed along.

If you fight someone better than you, but there's no communication or dialogue about the what, why, how, it's no better than fighting the AI.

Presuming that the "sessions" are friendly and educational, both have their place.  Fight a better player to get better, fight a similar player to refine your betterment.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
What Shane said  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
you wont "learn" anything from fighting against an equal player.....

the only way to get better is to fight someone better.....not just once but over and over, I also think they don't need to tell you anything if you have the drive to get better...yes it will help, but not necessary for improvement.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
In an instructional setting, like the TA then more will be learned fighting a more experienced player.  In the MA or absent any conversation then I think more is learned by fighting someone close to your skill level because the fight is more likely to last longer and that is how you improve, practice, experience, and stick time.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
I've always balanced DA, MA, Scenarios and FSOs - When I was unbeatable in the DA - I couldn't fly crap for MA - when I was really good MA I sucked in DA.

Finally balanced it out and Split even across the board, I don't lean on any one aircraft, or fighting style, I can fly at 20k or 2k- practicing daily to improve yourself, improves your game.

JG 52

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:14:16 PM »
fight midders and find out  :bolt:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
In an instructional setting, like the TA then more will be learned fighting a more experienced player.  In the MA or absent any conversation then I think more is learned by fighting someone close to your skill level because the fight is more likely to last longer and that is how you improve, practice, experience, and stick time.

does not make sense.....if you are fighting against someone same level, they cant teach you anything....I don't care how long the fight lasts, you wont "learn" a thing from it....unless you are a complete noob and so are they...then maybe you will get more of a hang of it.(controlling the plane that is)...but that is all...you wont become a better fighter...in any way shape or form.

just like everything in this world whether it be chess or cribbage....or any strategic game/sport/educational activity.....you need to play against better players to get better......flying against someone of equal skill for ten hours is not gonna make a bit of difference......fighting against a better stick for an hour will give you huge insights....especially if you, like I said, have that urge to get better.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
The key to learning and retaining any knowledge is repetition. While it is true you will gain more insight from someone of higher skill, it is hard to put that into practice if they are shooting you down quicker than you can put it into practice.(run on sentence maybe??..... :D) With a player of equal skill, you can apply those insights over longer periods of time. IMO  :salute

NOT

AKNOT

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »
does not make sense.....if you are fighting against someone same level, they cant teach you anything....I don't care how long the fight lasts, you wont "learn" a thing from it....unless you are a complete noob and so are they...then maybe you will get more of a hang of it.(controlling the plane that is)...but that is all...you wont become a better fighter...in any way shape or form.

just like everything in this world whether it be chess or cribbage....or any strategic game/sport/educational activity.....you need to play against better players to get better......flying against someone of equal skill for ten hours is not gonna make a bit of difference......fighting against a better stick for an hour will give you huge insights....especially if you, like I said, have that urge to get better.

This is partially true, but you can definitely learn things from players close to you skill level. This is especially true when you are fighting in different planes. Not everyone has the same skillset. I have incorporated moves into my skill set that players have used against me in the past, even if they ended up losing the fight. Just because you win doesn't mean you played it perfectly, or they played it totally wrong. There is always room for improvement. I have had fights where someone got the upper hand on me initially because of a great move they pulled, and then I eventually turned it around on them and won. Just because I won, it doesn't mean I ignore that opening move they pulled on me. I want to find out why they were able to do that to me. In that sense, you can even learn from players that are technically not as good as you. You can learn from anyone if you pay attention. Overall, I believe the fastest way to learn is to have someone better than you fight you, and then explain how they beat you. That doesn't mean you cant learn from equal or even inferior players.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »

Same level is a broad brush.  I may consider another player at an equal level to me but they may be better in some aspects or think a bit outside of the box in some situations.  In which case, fighting against them can very well teach me something.  For example I fought against some K4 sticks in this game which are held in very high requard, but I merged against them in ways they weren't used to dealing with, and I sometimes got the first tater hit off.  So in essence they may have learned something from my different merge, albeit I don't consider myself as good as a total K4 sticks as they are.  Same with me teaching F4U's, I've had students that tried different things I haven't thought of, that worked.  Even though I don't consider this player as the same level as me, I still learned something from them and added it to my list of tricks.

:salute
BigRat

BigR beat me to a lot of the same points as I was typing this lol :aok
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
The key to learning and retaining any knowledge is repetition. While it is true you will gain more insight from someone of higher skill, it is hard to put that into practice if they are shooting you down quicker than you can put it into practice.(run on sentence maybe??..... :D) With a player of equal skill, you can apply those insights over longer periods of time. IMO  :salute

NOT

no........... the key to learning is to have someone teach/show/apply it to you...then you do it over and over to get good at it....ie Practice what you learned from the better stick.....

I guess I should say IMO :rofl

Big& BigR :D

he asked about fighting against equal or better....which teaches you more.....

the answer is simple..... :neener:

although the "drive"or "urge" I was talking about....to get better is what you both touched on.... you both make good points...

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
I'm with ink on this. I've learned a lot more from dying hundreds of times against someone better than me, figuring out why I died, and improving myself so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Though if you fight someone of equal skills, you should at least be able to learn the basic limits of the aircraft you're flying; how fast it can go, how well it climbs, where it's stall speed is, ect. Then you can slowly learn to push the limits of that aircraft by fighting someone better than you.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
Practise and Experience is the most important thing.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez