Author Topic: Mustang police cruiser coming back?  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: Mustang police cruiser coming back?
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
Ah got it. You like drag racing so it's not included.

No, you don't get it. Not that anyone is surprised. All of our race cars look exactly like the cars sold on the showroom floor. Because they are the cars sold on the showroom floor.

Funny, they all look like a real 69 Camaro. Well, except for the 66 Corvette.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
nothing common in the 60's ran 10's, 11's, or even 12's. stock means stock. if stock eliminator was all stock, you'd be seeing a bunch of guys running high 12's and low 13's. if they were lucky.

Before they opened the rules up to allow any valvespring with stock dimensions, and any cam with the stock lift, we were about 1 second slower than we are now. So the orange Camaro running 10.0 in A would run 11.0, the white Camaro running 11.4 would run 12.4, etc. It was the valvespring and cam rules, as well as the replacement lifters that made them fast.

IHRA actually has a Pure Stock class. It has mostly newer cars in it, and is not real popular.

The truth is, the L-72, L-88, and ZL-1 427 powered cars would run 11's with headers, slicks, and tuning. The cars could be ordered with 4.88 gears, stripped down.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »
Before they opened the rules up to allow any valvespring with stock dimensions, and any cam with the stock lift, we were about 1 second slower than we are now. So the orange Camaro running 10.0 in A would run 11.0, the white Camaro running 11.4 would run 12.4, etc. It was the valvespring and cam rules, as well as the replacement lifters that made them fast.

IHRA actually has a Pure Stock class. It has mostly newer cars in it, and is not real popular.

The truth is, the L-72, L-88, and ZL-1 427 powered cars would run 11's with headers, slicks, and tuning. The cars could be ordered with 4.88 gears, stripped down.

that's my point. they're not stock. thus this should be called modified stock, not stock.

i should add, that i'm perfectly fine with safety modifications. but nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:20:20 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
No, you don't get it. Not that anyone is surprised. All of our race cars look exactly like the cars sold on the showroom floor. Because they are the cars sold on the showroom floor.
Yep, exactly like the showroom...

Which showroom is that by the way?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
i think i found out why some police depts may be going back to the mustang.......

FindsCoffeeMakesDonuts by 1LtCap, on Flickr

it comes equipped with its own donut maker!!  :neener: :noid :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
Yep, exactly like the showroom...
(Image removed from quote.)
Which showroom is that by the way?

Perhaps in your haste, you missed this......I doubt it though, since you went right for the Funny Cars.    :rofl

Drag racing has NHRA Stock Eliminator. Our cars a far closer to stock than NASCAR's stuff was 40 years ago. The body is entirely stock, we can't do anything but paint it, and roll the rear fender lip, right down to the cowl induction hood. We're allowed a 0.075" over bore, and must run a production crankshaft, +/- 0.015" on stroke, a stock length and bore connecting rod, a piston that is dimensionally the same as original (can be forged), stock carburetor (or replacement) stock lift and follower type on the cam, stock size valves, no porting, stock intake (or factory replacement). If it is a stick car, you can run an aftermarket transmission, if it is an automatic car, it must run a 3 speed automatic from the OEM. It must run a rear end from the OEM.

Even our traditional (not modified or GT classes) Super Stock cars are closer to stock than NASCAR has been in decades. The only thing we can do to the body is stretch the rear fender opening. We are allowed roller valvetrain, as well as porting and polishing.

Class racers in drag racing know what stock is, and we're a lot closer than NASCAR has been since the fifties. Our cars look exactly like real production cars. Because they are. Even the bogus "factory" cars are built on production bodies and chassis.

These are "NHRA Stock Eliminator" rides:   Hilts, please correct if I am wrong.

Stock Eliminator -- Mark Biskup, Ford Mustang, 12.370, 104.99 def. Nick Folk, Chevy Camaro, foul. - CARQUEST Route 66 Nationals. (This could a website error, as the same pic is for Super Stock as well)

Mac Tools U.S. Nationals at Carlisle

Stock Eliminator -- Toby Lang, Chevy Chevelle, 11.700, 111.53 def. Micci Walter, Chevy Camaro, 11.230, 115.25. - NHRA CSK Finals Phoenix, AZ

NASCRAP is just that.....crap.   Drag Racing is more fun to watch than NASCRAP.   Although, I prefer F1 and WRC, drag racing is just as exciting to watch.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:42:08 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
Perhaps in your haste, you missed this......I doubt it though, since you went right for the Funny Cars.    :rofl

These are "NHRA Stock Eliminator" rides:   Hilts, please correct if I am wrong.

NASCRAP is just that.....crap.   Drag Racing is more fun to watch than NASCRAP.   Although, I prefer F1 and WRC, drag racing is just as exciting to watch.  

but the cars in the first and third pics are not stock. the challenger looks like chryslers answer to the cobrajet and copo
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
but the cars in the first and third pics are not stock. the challenger looks like chryslers answer to the cobrajet and copo

They competed in NHRA Stock Eliminator events though...:confused:    
Edited with proper captions bro.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
They competed in NHRA Stock Eliminator events though...:confused:    
Edited with proper captions bro.
  yea, i gathered that.....and i think cvh thinks i'm being belligerent...and maybe i am, i dunno. but stock eliminator means just that. stock. if you've changed anything inside the engine or on the engine, tranny, rear.....it's not stock.

take a mustang or camaro, or challenger(i had to try hard to not laugh typing that last one), slap a cage in it, slicks, and go racing. better yet, keep em on street tires. that'd add a LOT of driver skill into the equation, wouldn't it?  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
  yea, i gathered that.....and i think cvh thinks i'm being belligerent...and maybe i am, i dunno. but stock eliminator means just that. stock. if you've changed anything inside the engine or on the engine, tranny, rear.....it's not stock.

take a mustang or camaro, or challenger(i had to try hard to not laugh typing that last one), slap a cage in it, slicks, and go racing. better yet, keep em on street tires. that'd add a LOT of driver skill into the equation, wouldn't it?  :devil

I doubt it.   But I can see what Hilts is saying.   You are buying a vehicle regardless of your three examples and keeping the body a helluva lot more "stock" than the BS NASCRAP cars.   Of course you are going to have to do some modifying to the "Stock" vehicle, but I guarantee you it is less than NASCRAP.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
I doubt it.   But I can see what Hilts is saying.   You are buying a vehicle regardless of your three examples and keeping the body a helluva lot more "stock" than the BS NASCRAP cars.   Of course you are going to have to do some modifying to the "Stock" vehicle, but I guarantee you it is less than NASCRAP.

yea, that it is. nascar was struggling years ago. then they started having these "fights" and "incidents" between drivers. not the ones like earnhardt/wallace used to have....but ones that are kind of like wrastling.......staged. that seems to have helped them a bit......but not to the real racers i know.
 i see yours and cvh's points though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
Just pointing out that the top classes in almost every series is modified, not just NASCAR. If you want true stock v stock you can find it at some level. SCCA has some good racing.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
You want stock racing, local track every Friday and saturday

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
Chevrolet, Mopar, and Toyota are racing Nascar with engine families that never appeared in a production car.

I didn't check on ford.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »

There is a difference between Stock Eliminator (which has always allowed blueprinting, headers, traction bars, and slicks) and IHRA Pure Stock.

SaVaGe