Author Topic: Mustang police cruiser coming back?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Mustang police cruiser coming back?
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
 looks like a possibility.......
http://www.mustangevolution.com/mustang-news/could-there-be-a-shelby-gts-mustang-police-interceptor-in-the-future/

and el paso's already using them apparently......

The police department of El Paso, TX has a new weapon in their arsenal to crack down on speeders – a fleet of thirteen 2012 Ford Mustangs GTs. Officer Sergio Cordova is one of the lucky police officers who gets to drive one of the new Mustangs, and he appreciates the fact that his job is to drive a muscle car around all day. “Where else are you going to get paid to drive a high-performance car at a high speed?” he says.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/02/20/el-paso-tx-using-2012-ford-mustangs-as-undercover-cop-cars/

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Mustang police cruiser coming back?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
For highway use or traffic patrol of areas where the officer spends a lot of time just driving the roads, especially away from the city and in ares of 55 mph and faster limits, I think that the 5.0 Mustang is the best bang for the buck out there.  

The cops will get a 400+ hp vehicle that's capable of running some very high speeds very safely, for not a whole lot more money than a regular performance patrol car like the ones Chrysler is building for most of the departments.  The insides of the Mustang aren't that much smaller than the 4 door Dodge's that many departments up here are running, and you get a WAY better performing car.

My old man finished his career off in traffic back in the late 90's, and he drove a notchback 92 Mustang GT for the last year, and loved it.  The RCMP here in Canada did away with them though around that time, and haven't done much in the way of high speed interceptor type police vehicles since.  This would be a great time for them to start again, with the 2012 or 13 Ford GT's.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
In Winter Park there's a police officer who drives a red 2006 Mustang GT. He usually goes to the local race track to promote legal racing instead of street racing.

That 'Stang is flippin fast, to.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
The Police Interceptor is Ford's replacement for the Crown Vic. I didn't know they ever stopped using Mustangs as speed trap/pursuit cars. I guess Chargers filled that role.
I remember the first time I rolled up behind a CHP Camaro and had a serious WTF moment. The lights in the back window caught my eye before I noticed Highway Patrol across the rear spoiler. :O
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
In Winter Park there's a police officer who drives a red 2006 Mustang GT. He usually goes to the local race track to promote legal racing instead of street racing.

That 'Stang is flippin fast, to.

there's quite a few towns locally that have their own police racers too. they do the same thign.....go to the track, and try to encourage kids to not race on the streets. most depts around here seem to be re-equipping with the new chargers. the funny thing bout them is that here in cherry hill, they don't appear much faster than the old crown vics, but they do look much more stable at speed. and they look cooler too.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
The Police Interceptor is Ford's replacement for the Crown Vic. I didn't know they ever stopped using Mustangs as speed trap/pursuit cars. I guess Chargers filled that role.
I remember the first time I rolled up behind a CHP Camaro and had a serious WTF moment. The lights in the back window caught my eye before I noticed Highway Patrol across the rear spoiler. :O

i think they stopped building a pursuit mustang in 93.

quick funny story........back in the late 80's early 90's, i was driving to florida in my mustang. a 80-something camaro blew by me like i wasn't moving....i was doing about 75. clutched it, dropped to 4th, and was about to punch it, when for whatevr reason i thought the better of it, put it back in 5th. and just continued on my merry way. not 5 seconds later, a georgia state patrol car(mustang) comes friggin SCREAMING by me. thank GOD i didn't go after the camaro.

passed them about 5 miles up the road.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
Our state troopers around here have chargers. Our city cops have a vette that they took from some drug bust and parade it around from time to time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:56:57 PM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
Our city police use Chargers mainly...Troopers and Sheriffs still use the CV's.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
all those racing cars that police use are just perks for the officers  :old:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:25:14 PM »
Our city police use Chargers mainly...Troopers and Sheriffs still use the CV's.

The crown vic has served well....still can't believe Ford is done making them.  Our agency has a mix bag of chargers and the new caprice.  Btw the caprice will haul @$&*%$ too!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:36:06 PM »
Ohio State Highway Patrol converting to Chargers.  Most cities in my area doing the same.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
Back in the day, our local police were using the Dodge Polara Police cars..
They had 3 Special Pursuit cars, all Dayglo orange.. We all called them the "Pumpkins"..
73 Polara, 440 interceptor, full boogie too, sixpac all of it.. Rollbars and everything..
They would street race the things too, without bustin ya..
Just a roll up challenge at a stoplight, with a big smirk on their face..

Things were really "Cool" back in the day!

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
How does a two door work logistically as a police cruiser?

Has the new taurus based cruiser begun production or are they still in the design phase?
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 12:21:03 AM »
How does a two door work logistically as a police cruiser?

Has the new taurus based cruiser begun production or are they still in the design phase?

Well they all have radios so they can just call a 4 door to come and haul anyone away.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:34 AM »

Most agencies in our area use 2dr for traffic enforcement/pursuit intervention only.  If a transport unit is needed they call for a patrol unit.  I believe the Taurus is starting to fill fleet inventories.  I just haven't seen any in southeast Texas yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:26:25 AM by bacon8tr »