Author Topic: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?  (Read 16673 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »
Skuzzy,

He has conditional love....selfish turd.  My love is unconditional
That's only because you live so near you could have consequences if not.  :bolt:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
That's only because you live so near you could have consequences if not.  :bolt:

Good call
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
Never allow the computer, or parts of it, to sleep under Windows 7, and earlier.  I have not tested Windows 8 yet, but all previous versions of Windows have had issues with the 'sleep' mode.

Just FYI.

Win8 is the first windows where sleep becomes fast enough to actually use. I run my W8 computer all the time and just put it to sleep when it's not needed. In that sense W8 took a giant leap towards Apple in ease of use. No more bootup and waiting when you want to access the computer.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
Win 8 worth it without a touch screen?
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:53 AM »
Hi All,

Been flying & testing some more. The more I play w/ this thing the more I LIKE it!

:D

Here are my latest settings:

Using 310.70 Nvidia driver......

AO--Off
AF--16x (max)
FXAA--Off
AA(GC)--On
AAMode--Override any application setting
AA--32x CSAA (max)
AA(Transparency)--8x supersampling (max)
CUDA-GPU's--All
Max Prerendered Frames--2
Multi Displays/Mixed GPU Acceleration--Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode--Adaptive
TF(ASO)--On
TF(NLB)--Clamp
TF--Quality
TF(TO)--On
TO--Auto
TB--On
Vsynch--On

In-game:
AA--None
Textures--1024
Graphics Detail:
Both sliders full left
Horizon enabled
Ground Clutter enabled
Disable Ground Clutter in Flight enabled
Advanced:
All boxes checked
Reflection slider full left
Shadow Textures--2048

Same box set up as listed earlier.........

In game vid card runs flat out at max boost clock speed of 1228 w/ occassional dips to 1215 at 3105 mem clock speed w/ no dips at 74%-87% GPU usage at 63*C-66*C temp at 87%-100% power at 714Mb-744Mb mem usage maintaining 57-59 FPS. Gameplay, looks & feel was.....oh so beautiful! I love this game especially w/ it running on this platform!

When I put the TF setting in driver to High Quality (full trilinear filtering--driver side maxed out) all pretty much held sway except GPU usage jumped to 98% & straight-lined & max boost clock speed dipped occassionally to lowest speed of 1206 from max of 1228 w/ power usage straight-lined on max of 100%.

If what Skuzzy said is true then I must have gotten hold of a one-of-a-kind EVGA GTX 670 FTW vid card running on a very good X79 set up.....none of it is OC'd....all on stock settings. Makes me feel GOOD! I'll take that as a positive.........:D

All this data came off Precision X. The vid card's mem usage was significantly affected only when I changed the in-game shadow textures amount. None of the Nvidia driver setting changes moved the mem usage much....most I observed was 10-15 Mb whereas the in-game shadow texture settings would move the mem usage 114 Mb-242 Mb per setting change. FWIW I run w/ Aero enabled so some of the mem usage amounts will be from Aero but from earlier testing my vid card doesn't show to be affected performance-wise whether Aero is enabled or not. I thought that Win 7 was supposed to turn Aero off when it detected a 3D game app running....................oh well.......

I do know that Win 7 recognized the SSD's & turned off defrag, readyboost, superfetch on it's own & I like that.

Still believe that Nvidia 600 sers vid cards as a general rule perform w/ AHII at their best when the Nvidia driver is overriding the in-game application settings & in-game AA setting is turned off, but that's my assessment due to my box's results from all this testing.........your's may be different.

Gotta go fly now!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
I dont think there is any benefit of running AF as high as you have it. I wonder about your Prerendered also. Power management. . . sounds like something is wrong, or your 670 has an issue somewhere. My 690 has never had a problem throttling.

Actually, AH does not require a 600 series to get a good looking game. Setting things as high as we have them is great for maintaining the load above 90%, but even the older 480s could get the same performance we have without the shadows and I think they could probably handle the environmental mapping also.

Why are you running 1024 instad of 2048? And ground clutter? All it does is hide tanks from your view. Foxgloves are not that important are they?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2013, 06:03:02 AM »

I had posted this in another thread but it deserves a repost.  I noticed Newegg is selling their PCs with a free downgrade to windows 7.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
With or without... It can be "used" with a mouse, too. And it is at least as good a platform for gaming as Vista.

I've heard a scientific study has been made, the result being that a human arm will soon exhaust when using an upright touch screen. Would you believe that???
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
With or without... It can be "used" with a mouse, too. And it is at least as good a platform for gaming as Vista.

I've heard a scientific study has been made, the result being that a human arm will soon exhaust when using an upright touch screen. Would you believe that???

Benchmarks show that Win8 is just as fast as Windows 7 and even faster in some aspects. It has a new leaner kernel. It's getting a bad rep mostly because of the new user interface (which can be circumvented mostly) and other technical aspects which do not affect the user experience.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
I run XP64 and have for ten years now.  It does everything I need it to do.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
I had been running my Radeon Card (5970) with default setting for a year now, with the newwer stuff that been released my frames rate had been dropping into the mid 30s, with mome heavy action periods requing me to turn lots of stuff off to get my Frame rate back. At one point last week I had shut off deatailed terrain just to get mack into the 40s. after reading through this thread I went and tried a few thing and here is what I found.

Morfilogical filtering 
     - set to OFF
AA has two paramerters:
     - Pixels  set to 2X
     - AA mode (Wide Tent) 4X

Tessalation
    - Set to Off

...and to make this short, I turned everything else off.

The only thing that affected graphics quality was the Anti Aliasing setting, and setting them higher than the first two settings did not make inprove the look of the game, but did has an effect on Text fonts. They did however have a big effect on Frame rate. After I did this I turned on....

2048 textures
Bump map My plane with 1 notch of "New features" (this added the reflections to the glass surfaces)
Detailed terrain set to 4 mile range
Self shadows set to 4096
Detailed water (with local water reflections)
Bump map terrain
Bump map clouds

Running and holding 50-60 FPS. Game looks great. still getting some micro studdering with track IR...

I played a little with the AA mode (Edge detect versus, Narrow tent, versus wide tent...trying to see which had a bigger impact on image quality and frame rate. I found the wide tent and the 2X samples looked just fine and the other setting weren't worth the fps hit. but I was still getting some micro-studdering from timeto time and holding 50-60

so I started the game at the first screen, then started the Task manager. I went to the process screen and shut off all the other useless stuff, and set AH t priority yo HIGH, as well as the TrackIR to HIGH. I then set everything else to low. (windows7) Now the games runs at a stead 60 FPS and the studdering is gone.

I thik there are a lot of these features in the Graphics card that are of no use in AH. Leaving them turned on makes the card do a lot of calculations that dan't add anything but they do use up GC resources and slow you down. Shut them all off except Anti aliasing, and there seems to be no need to over do that either.

I can't run 8192 shadows because it reeally eats frames vs 4096. I go from 60 to 35-40 with the shadows at the highest resolution. I think changing the priority allows more CPU resouces to be focused on AH and that made a big difference. I'm going to try one for the resources tracking programs to see if the CPU and the GPU are beingutilized in a balanced way. I suspect my CPU (2.66 Quad core Duo) is the bottle neck for further improvements.  I also tested the slider bar for the "New eycandy" aby moving it to the left. 25% moved up to 75% was worth about 10-15 frames, but I couldn't tell what in came was changing. So to me it wasn't worth it. Of course it my be for something I didn't come across.

OK hope that is value to someone.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Guyver

• Copper Member
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »
only just coming back to teh game but my rig has been upgraded since i last played so im gona say pretty close to max on everything.

i play planetside 2 on max and that is graphic heavy

here is my spec

Intel Core i7-3930K 4.4GHz (Sandybridge-E)

Asus X79 Sabertooth Intel X79

Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel

Sapphire HD 7970 VAPOR-X GHZ 3072MB GDDR5

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
Per Mare Per Terram

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Hi All,

YMMV, but if your using the new Nvidia 600 sers Kepler GPU's (I got an EVGA 670 FTW w/ 2Gb mem) w/ AHII I found out w/ mine that using the in-game AA setting along w/ the Nvidia driver set to use the application settings for AA, AF & V-synch throws the driver's ability to control the GPU thru the driver's dynamic clock boost/power boost control system off kilter--meaning my 670 tended to have the clock speed of the GPU cut below the base clock speed of 1006 & the speed control was very erratic regardless of the GPU temps being far below the 70*C throttle threshold. The game ran fine as it was but this did bother me.

One day I was bored & thought to try my card w/ the driver set to run it all. So when I reset the in-game AA setting to None, set the card's driver in NCP to override the application settings in AA, AF & V-synch & set everything at the driver's level my 670 now runs flat out in-game at it's highest GPU boost clock rate of 1228 w/ occasional dips to 1150, highest mem clock rate of 3105 w/ no speed dips & GPU temps holding between 55*C-65*C regardless of load---w/ Adaptive power control enabled & card's power offset set at 100% & GPU/mem offsets at 0% (stock settings).

Again YMMV.

:salute

I have been discussing this with the people on the Nvidia boards. It sounds like you may have installed a driver set without properly removing older drivers first. It is a common problem that even the most experienced users are experiencing, because if a user forgets to turn off MSI Afterburner, or XPrecision (or Steam, FRAPS, . . .), or anti-virus programs and the list goes on. . . it might very well interfere with the proper installation of your newer drivers. Also, if you have Adobe, or Apple software on your system, or do not properly reconfigure Internet Security settings, or forget to disable Windows Update before updating drivers, then you may have a problem.

I just went through the reinstall process myself and I realized how easy it is to ruin your installation. But, I also went online with a brand new GTX 680 after a fresh driver update and reinstall with the driver settings I recommended and when I closed out AH the GPU dropped right back to idle clocks and temps. So, I have to believe the crowd at Nvidia is right.

Also, Skuzzy, if we (we meaning everyone that uses Geforce) want a new profile included for AH then we will probably have to petition for one on their boards.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
<snip>
Also, Skuzzy, if we (we meaning everyone that uses Geforce) want a new profile included for AH then we will probably have to petition for one on their boards.

Yes, I know.  That is what happened to get the first profile done and it was never right either.  NVidia and ATI pretty much ignore us as a game company.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
I had been running my Radeon Card (5970) with default setting for a year now, with the newwer stuff that been released my frames rate had been dropping into the mid 30s, with mome heavy action periods requing me to turn lots of stuff off to get my Frame rate back. At one point last week I had shut off deatailed terrain just to get mack into the 40s. after reading through this thread I went and tried a few thing and here is what I found.

Morfilogical filtering 
     - set to OFF
AA has two paramerters:
     - Pixels  set to 2X
     - AA mode (Wide Tent) 4X

Tessalation
    - Set to Off

...and to make this short, I turned everything else off.

The only thing that affected graphics quality was the Anti Aliasing setting, and setting them higher than the first two settings did not make inprove the look of the game, but did has an effect on Text fonts. They did however have a big effect on Frame rate. After I did this I turned on....

2048 textures
Bump map My plane with 1 notch of "New features" (this added the reflections to the glass surfaces)
Detailed terrain set to 4 mile range
Self shadows set to 4096
Detailed water (with local water reflections)
Bump map terrain
Bump map clouds

Running and holding 50-60 FPS. Game looks great. still getting some micro studdering with track IR...

I played a little with the AA mode (Edge detect versus, Narrow tent, versus wide tent...trying to see which had a bigger impact on image quality and frame rate. I found the wide tent and the 2X samples looked just fine and the other setting weren't worth the fps hit. but I was still getting some micro-studdering from timeto time and holding 50-60

so I started the game at the first screen, then started the Task manager. I went to the process screen and shut off all the other useless stuff, and set AH t priority yo HIGH, as well as the TrackIR to HIGH. I then set everything else to low. (windows7) Now the games runs at a stead 60 FPS and the studdering is gone.

I thik there are a lot of these features in the Graphics card that are of no use in AH. Leaving them turned on makes the card do a lot of calculations that dan't add anything but they do use up GC resources and slow you down. Shut them all off except Anti aliasing, and there seems to be no need to over do that either.

I can't run 8192 shadows because it reeally eats frames vs 4096. I go from 60 to 35-40 with the shadows at the highest resolution. I think changing the priority allows more CPU resouces to be focused on AH and that made a big difference. I'm going to try one for the resources tracking programs to see if the CPU and the GPU are beingutilized in a balanced way. I suspect my CPU (2.66 Quad core Duo) is the bottle neck for further improvements.  I also tested the slider bar for the "New eycandy" aby moving it to the left. 25% moved up to 75% was worth about 10-15 frames, but I couldn't tell what in came was changing. So to me it wasn't worth it. Of course it my be for something I didn't come across.

OK hope that is value to someone.  :salute

Update....

Ok this is going to sound like it makes no sense...because it doesn't.

I wanted to see what my "utilization" was to determine where the weak spot in my system was so I downloaded AMD System Monitor and installed. Started it up and hit the record button. Took and flew a combat sortie, where I ran into multiple bandits, with same settings as above. Ran around 57-60 FPS. went tot he file opened it and checked the data.   

CPU 1   90%-100%
CPU 2   5%
CPU 3   8%
CPU 4   20%

GPU 1   20%  with clock speed fixed @ 725 (which is the Overdrive setting., same with mem speed @1000) 
GPU 2   5%    with clock speed fixed @ 725 (which is the Overdrive setting., same with mem speed @1000)
GPU fan speed fixed at 4100 (is that supposed to be 410 RPM?)
Temps running 38C-40C for both GPUs

The GPUs were running at Zero% with an ocasional blip up to 20% on one GPU.

I thought that the CPU must be bogged down, but thought it strange that tthe other cores would be utilized more to alivieate the bottleneck. Then I though, why am I running "Overdrive" if the GPUs aren;t being taxed at all. So I went to the AMD Catalyst window, went to the Overdrive and disabled it. My plan was to go back to game and take more datat and see if the GPUs would be "utilized" more, thinking utilization must be calculated on total capability. If I slowed the GPU down, the same workload would require hiher utilization.

Back in game, same field, same plane, take off and meet the same bandits. FPS pegged at 60. To add more data condintiones to the test I go the advanced graphics and turn the "self shadows" up to 8192.

Game pegs at 60 FPS.  :huh

Fly the whole sorty, I think at one point it dropped to 57 FPS.

I go back and check the sys monitor recording and now I see something that looks like this...

CPU 1   80%
CPU 2   40%
CPU 3   40%
CPU 4   30%

GPU 1   80%  with clock speed Varying between 157Mhz @ 725Mhz (which is the Overdrive setting., same with mem speed @1000) 
GPU 2   40%  with clock speed Varying between 157Mhz @ 725Mhz (which is the Overdrive setting., same with mem speed @1000)
GPU fan speed fixed at 1700-1800.
Temps climbed from 60C to 80C (held there) for both GPUs

Game looked positively beautiful with those crisp 8192 shows rolling around my P-39 cockpit. I get woried about temps, but don't what's too high.

But clearly the take away for me is that my rig utilized all resources better with overclocking via "Overdrive" turned off. When I get home tonight I will make graphs of the data and post it.

I'm happy but confused.  :headscratch:
Who is John Galt?