Author Topic: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?  (Read 16756 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Can Anyone Run MAX Everything?
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
skuzzy did you ever considered running an ingame hardware poll to see what is the average computer used these days for aces high? I'm thinking 64bits version   :angel:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »
No poll needed, really.

It will not help Aces High much at all.  Resource usage is pretty much fixed, regardless.  It changes nothing for the video card.

I am sure there will be a time when it makes sense to move to 64 bit.  Right now, it really does not make sense.  It is not as simple as flipping a flag on the compiler.  It will require quite a bit code work to migrate to 64 bit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:13:33 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
No poll needed, really.

It will not help Aces High much at all.  Resource usage is pretty much fixed, regardless.  It changes nothing for the video card.

I am sure there will be a time when it makes sense to move to 64 bit.  Right now, it really does not make sense.  It is not as simple as flipping a flag on the compiler.  It will require quite a bit code work to migrate to 64 bit.

Ive tried everything now.  Is there a software program that is shareware that you can run to manage your processes while you play?  I really don't want to learn what each process is and then turn them all off, lmao!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
Oh...how much of a resource pig is iTunes running on a machine?

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
You do not want anything Apple or anything Adobe or anything Intuit running on your computer when you play.

AlacrityPC is a great place to start.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
1 x  Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
1 x  GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x  Galaxy 65NGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 GC 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
1 x  Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
1 x  KINGWIN ABT-1050MM 1050W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 / SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
1 x  CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
1 x  Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 x  ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
1 x  Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM - OEM
Water Cooled and running max settings at 559-60 fps on a 24" acer monitor.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
iTunes is one of the worst.  Anything from Apple for Windows is bad.  Think about it.  Why would Apple do anything nice for Windows?

iTunes eats resources like a six year old would chew through a candy store.  It will cause stutters in frame rates, impede network connections to the arenas, and cause rampant and errant disk activity which causes a host of other problems.

Running the Windows Aero desktop is also a resource problem.

If you have anything from Norton, McAfee, Intuit, Roxio, Apple, Adobe, and probably more, then you are sacrificing resources that should not be sacrificed.

NOTE:  You can kill most of the Adobe things, but the others are married to the operating system once they are installed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
iTunes is one of the worst.  Anything from Apple for Windows is bad.  Think about it.  Why would Apple do anything nice for Windows?

iTunes eats resources like a six year old would chew through a candy store.  It will cause stutters in frame rates, impede network connections to the arenas, and cause rampant and errant disk activity which causes a host of other problems.

Running the Windows Aero desktop is also a resource problem.

If you have anything from Norton, McAfee, Intuit, Roxio, Apple, Adobe, and probably more, then you are sacrificing resources that should not be sacrificed.

NOTE:  You can kill most of the Adobe things, but the others are married to the operating system once they are installed.

Ok.  Here's a plan.  New SSD that only has Windows and the game loaded.  I could set the bios to let me choose which drive to boot right?  Can't be that hard.  Then, when the wife and kids wanna jump on they just reboot to "their" system.  That would be clean right?  Essentially 120 bucks solves my problem....for the most part.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:34 AM »
@changeup  Process Lassoo is a great process manager.  I have two truly speed critical apps that I use, one being AH and the other being voice dictation.  PL automatically sets them to realtime priority when they run.  If that doesn't work for you, use gaming mode and it will give AH all system resources automatically.

And it's ten bucks!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
@changeup  Process Lassoo is a great process manager.  I have two truly speed critical apps that I use, one being AH and the other being voice dictation.  PL automatically sets them to realtime priority when they run.  If that doesn't work for you, use gaming mode and it will give AH all system resources automatically.

And it's ten bucks!

I tried Lasso and it didn't help much.  See, I think my kiddos load crap when they go to gaming sites that I never know is there.  Lasso is great but it still didn't maximize the system.  In fact, I saw no real difference.  Now, I used the freeware, not the paid version.  Still I'd like to try a small SSD on my system.  Windows gives every component in my system a 7.9 except the HD...which turns in a 5.4.

My case has hot swap HD bays on top.  I don't even have to install the new drive.  I can tell the bios to look at the swap bay and if there's no HD in it, move on to the SATA 6 drive.  I just have to believe that an SSD drive with windows, video card drivers, and the game only would be about as unencumbered as you can get, wouldn't you?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »
A dedicated hard disk just for gaming is a good idea indeed. Speaking about AH, an SSD doesn't make a significant difference, though. It would make windows load faster, but from personal experience the boot time can be pre-emptively used to avoid having to go for a leak during gameplay.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »
A dedicated hard disk just for gaming is a good idea indeed. Speaking about AH, an SSD doesn't make a significant difference, though. It would make windows load faster, but from personal experience the boot time can be pre-emptively used to avoid having to go for a leak during gameplay.

Easyest is to put the computer to sleep so it can wake up in a couple of seconds. Especially Win8 wakes up almost mac-like.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
Never allow the computer, or parts of it, to sleep under Windows 7, and earlier.  I have not tested Windows 8 yet, but all previous versions of Windows have had issues with the 'sleep' mode.

Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Never allow the computer, or parts of it, to sleep under Windows 7, and earlier.  I have not tested Windows 8 yet, but all previous versions of Windows have had issues with the 'sleep' mode.

Just FYI.
Oh man, I love you for that!  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
Oh man, I love you for that!  :salute

Skuzzy,

He has conditional love....selfish turd.  My love is unconditional