Author Topic: Operation Market Garden  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: Operation Market Garden
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »
1. So you are proposing The Band of Brothers should be considered a body of historical record and not a piece of dramatised entertainment using artistic license and based on the research and selected interviews of one man?

2. It would be unrealistic to ask for 'high regard', let's face it, you can't even achieve a basic level of mutual respect.

1. No.

2. Uh, yeah, we'll start with the British having a little respect, which they did not even have during the war for the most part.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
Well, if a teacher asked my child to write a paper on a historic event based soley upon a movie.  I would ask that teacher to write me a letter of resignation.

Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
1. No.

2. Uh, yeah, we'll start with the British having a little respect, which they did not even have during the war for the most part.

Thats a sweeping statement.

Maybe you should have fought with the Narzzies, they had little respect for a lot of things.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
hate to tell you this, I seen a website written by another historian who wrote down the events from the show and what really happened. Each Episode had about half a dozen up to a dozen mistakes.
Example:
* At the beginning of the ninth episode, "Why We Fight", the date says April 11, 1945 as the episode opens with the paratroopers overlooking German civilians cleaning up their streets. At the end of the episode, the show returns to this scene, at which point Captain Nixon tells the others that Hitler had killed himself. However Hitler did not kill himself until April 30, 1945. Nixon wasn't told hitler committed suicide until May 3rd, Winters knew but said it could be speculations or rumors.

* At the end of the final episode, "Points," it is stated that Technician Fifth Class Joseph Liebgott became a San Francisco taxi driver after the war, but most accounts, including that of his son, state that Joseph Liebgott in fact became a barber after returning home from the war.
bill guarnere said this on a youtube video, nobody actually knew what he did, but during one of the meetings in 1980s he said to of been a barber.

* In the final episode, "Points," Major Winters accepts the surrender of a German Colonel, who offers him an ornate Luger pistol. In the scene, Winters tells him to keep his sidearm, but in the Bonus Features DVD, the real Winters recalls the incident and shows the pistol (a Walther PP) he accepted. In Ambrose's book of the same title, he describes how when Winters examined the firearm, he found it had never been fired, and he hasn't fired it since. He shows this firearm in the HBO documentary We Stand Alone Together. Also in book Beyond Band of Brothers : The war memoirs of Major Dick Winters written by Cole. C. Kingseed with Major Dick Winters it is said that the pistol was accepted but the rank of the German soldier was a Major not Colonel.

These are just the beginning, I haven't found the website - but the historian had a ton of information on the 501st, compares the show to ambrose's book and found quite a few errors in it.

There is a difference between minor details, such as the exact date of Nixon informing the troops of Hitler's death (which could indeed be a representation of Nixon passing along an unsubstantiated rumor, those things happen in war), or what job one of the men took after the war, or the rank and type of firearm carried by a surrendering officer, and what actually happened in a battle, such as a tank commander driving straight into a hidden enemy tank's kill zone, despite being warned.

No one, myself included, said "Band of Brothers" was a perfectly correct documentary. No such thing exists, no documentary is perfectly accurate. The point is, "Band of Brothers" is not rife with major glaring inaccuracies.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
Thats a sweeping statement.

Maybe you should have fought with the Narzzies, they had little respect for a lot of things.

Maybe you should take a long walk on a short pier.

SaVaGe

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Maybe you should take a long walk on a short pier.

idiot

The GFC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
idiot

Well, now there is another brilliant retort. My congratulations to you.  :rolleyes:

SaVaGe

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
Then perhaps you'd like to rephrase your earlier statement:-

So far, the only truly inaccurate thing I've found in "Band of Brothers", after reading dozens of books related to the 101st, is the segment regarding Albert Blythe...

Perhaps you ought to expand and justify this statement, if you wish to retain any credibility at all.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
Well, if a teacher asked my child to write a paper on a historic event based soley upon a movie.  I would ask that teacher to write me a letter of resignation.

Thank you Helbent, for supplying a grain of rationality  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
Perhaps you ought to expand and justify this statement, if you wish to retain any credibility at all.

Credibility with you ranks right down there at the bottom of the list of my concerns. I neither know nor care who or what you are. People like you amuse me a great deal, you demand all sorts of things, as if you were in a position to do so, and your opinion was all that matters. I have neither the need nor the desire to "justify" anything to the likes of you.

SaVaGe

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
 :rofl

Your odd :rofl

The GFC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
Credibility with you ranks right down there at the bottom of the list of my concerns. I neither know nor care who or what you are. People like you amuse me a great deal, you demand all sorts of things, as if you were in a position to do so, and your opinion was all that matters. I have neither the need nor the desire to "justify" anything to the likes of you.

I wasn't talking about your credibility with me but here on these forums. You have shown to be wrong once already and instead of accepting that or retracting that you go further and in fact reveal some form of personal bias.

By your description 'the likes of you' do you mean that I am not qualified or equal to you to ask you to justify your statement? Why, am I inferior in some way? Is it not a reasonable request following your statement?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
I wasn't talking about your credibility with me but here on these forums. You have shown to be wrong once already and instead of accepting that or retracting that you go further and in fact reveal some form of personal bias.

By your description 'the likes of you' do you mean that I am not qualified or equal to you to ask you to justify your statement? Why, am I inferior in some way? Is it not a reasonable request following your statement?

He has a point Shida, best ignore him he is Mr Angry today and a bit odd :)

He is a colonial he is always right  :)

The GFC

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Im a colonial, and im odd, and im angry  :frown:
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »
Your not  creepy like that other bloke :)

where are those socks?

The GFC