Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 5137 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »
had to remove it...kept losing my internet connection. No realtek audio or ethernet driver/recognition...?  :old:

How long ago was that? Driver support comes late to linux typically so current version might work fine. People with new hardware may not have a good linux experience. For example Radeon 7xxx series cards were not supported for several months and still are lacking.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »
How long ago was that? Driver support comes late to linux typically so current version might work fine. People with new hardware may not have a good linux experience. For example Radeon 7xxx series cards were not supported for several months and still are lacking.
yesterday.... :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
Did you try this:   

When the installation starts, click F6, then ESC. In the text that appears on the screen, change quiet to noquiet, splash to nosplash, and addnomodeset right after nosplash.

The install should then open. When installing check "install updates during install" and "install third party software"

For Alternate install: After base packages are installed (before grub install), open a prompt (ALT+F2) and "chroot /target", then "apt-get install nvidia-current", "CTRL+D" to exit chroot, "ALT+F1" to resume install. Complete the installation and you should be good to go.

You may also have hit a driver problem in which case:

The Nvidia 295.40 grahics driver has a bug and will not work with 12.04 precise. Nvidia are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. You can get around it however by installing the 295.33 driver which will work until Nvidia fixes the current driver. Do the following:

Go to you normal terminal and type in the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

On reboot it will be working. The update manager will then want to install the current version untick it to stop it from doing so and make sure your updates are only displayed and not installed automatically through settings.

Then if you haven't already done so install Synaptic Package manager and find the 295.33 driver on it you installed. Then go to settings and lock this version. It will get a little lock next to it and turn red. Now the driver cannot be updated until you unlock it. I will be keeping it locked until I am absolutely sure the 295.40 driver has been fixed.

And this is why Linux in general has such a poor market share of OS installations by the average computer user.  How in the hell would anyone (especially someone new to Linux) be able to figure that out without being told by someone else?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:14 AM »
And this is why Linux in general has such a poor market share of OS installations by the average computer user.  How in the hell would anyone (especially someone new to Linux) be able to figure that out without being told by someone else?

Blame Nvidia for releasing a buggy driver. How in the hell would anyone know that their windows driver is causing them failures any better? Or especially what to do about it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »
yesterday.... :headscratch:

Intel IHC8/Realtek ALC268 Sound Card

Update: Some people seem to indicate that it works with Alsa 1.0.14 or some version above, though I have not tested this. Presently, Ubuntu includes Alsa 1.0.13.

The sound card is also too new for Ubuntu (or Alsa, as it is) to have a driver. Luckily, our friends at realtek provide a driver package from their download page, which will help us out. First, install prerequisites

sudo apt-get install build-essential libncurses5-dev

Next, unpack the package to some directory:

tar xvjf realtek-linux-audiopack-4.06c.tar.bz2

Before we go any further, we need to stop and unload the existing (non-working) sound drivers. Don't forget to exit any programs that might be using the sound card.

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop

Finally, run the install-script from the directory created during extraction:

sudo ./install

Sit back as the package compiles, prepares and installs the ALSA-drivers. When done, it'll tell you that it's going to play a test sound. You probably won't be able to hear this (at least, I couldn't), but that's OK, we'll fix this soon enough. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:

sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Make sure you include this line at the bottom:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba

Now, restart Alsa:

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound start

and see if you can't play a sound file nice and neatly.
Troubleshooting

Sometimes, it's not enough to restart the ALSA system. If you experience problems with that, go with a full reboot, and you should be flying.

If you still have no sound, the first thing to check is your mixer settings. Alsa mutes the channels per default, so you need to unmute them. The easiest way is to use an interactive program like alsamixer. Try also to play a little with the volume settings. On this card, there are three main volume-meters: Headphones, PCM and Front. PCM is the Master volume. Headphones controls the volume in the headphones-plug, if anything is plugged in, and the built-in speakers if not. Front controls the built-in speakers, regardless of what's plugged into the headphone plug, so you might want to leave Front muted.

If you're still having problems, there are a few things to try out. First of all, modify the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base like this

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba index=0

and restart Alsa like before. If you're still not having any success, try creating a seperate file in /etc/modprobe.d called snd-hda-intel.modprobe containing the same lines as we used above:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba index=0

Update (Feb 27 2008):

If you're having trouble getting the sound card working when following the above instructions, try the hints I got from Proge, who had trouble with the newest Realtek drivers, but instead had success with Alsa 1.0.16. Thanks to Proge for the feedback!
Update (Mar 15 2008):

Sindre Myren reports:

- With Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Alpha 5 or later, analog sound works 100% out of the box! (It also mutes when headset is connected)

This is so when 'linux-image-2.6.24-10-generic' (or later) is used.
    Digital sound output, not tested.

This obviously holds regardless of Ubuntu flavor, as they all share the same kernel.

http://atlas.hasselbalch.com/znote6625wd/

Obviously you need to go to the realtek site and download the current driver pack. If you have a realtek ethernet device, driver can also be found there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:20:06 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
Just to add to any confusion, I've just built a machine with Linux Mint - which is basically ubuntu with a few enhancements.

Very very nice.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »
I give up on ubuntu.  it wont start not even from a usb stick.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
I give up on ubuntu.  it wont start not even from a usb stick.

semp

That's quite weird. You must have incompatible hardware.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
http://atlas.hasselbalch.com/znote6625wd/

Obviously you need to go to the realtek site and download the current driver pack. If you have a realtek ethernet device, driver can also be found there.

several problems, all of which I'm sure, are due at least in part because I built this machine. I was unable to take it off the DVD/USB because Linux also failed to locate my DVD drive or usb jump drive to take the driver off of & since i could not do it live because I had not internet connection because of the missing driver....yada-yada-yada  :rolleyes: :bhead
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
several problems, all of which I'm sure, are due at least in part because I built this machine. I was unable to take it off the DVD/USB because Linux also failed to locate my DVD drive or usb jump drive to take the driver off of & since i could not do it live because I had not internet connection because of the missing driver....yada-yada-yada  :rolleyes: :bhead

That sounds really weird. Is all your hardware brand new? I have 3-4 years old components and everything works without touching a thing. One question came to mind: Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit setup? Ubuntu is most compatible with 32-bit setup. Unlike windows, PAE actually works with linux so you really don't need a 64-bit version unless you plan to do heavy database work.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:58:33 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
64 bit
WildWzl

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »
64 bit

Yeah that may be one explanation. Ubuntu recommends using the 32-bit version for compatibility - and like I said linux does not require 64-bits to use 4+ gigs of ram (not that you would need that much ever in desktop use anyway using it).

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
I have 4x 2gig slots...I think for now I'll leave it alone. I'm happy enough with Win7 and my PC speed right now....probably leave well enough alone....just fidgety, have a hard time not trying to tweak a little every day... :bhead  :D
WildWzl

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »
I have 4x 2gig slots...I think for now I'll leave it alone. I'm happy enough with Win7 and my PC speed right now....probably leave well enough alone....just fidgety, have a hard time not trying to tweak a little every day... :bhead  :D

The freedom to browse and do online banking without constant worry about infections is the reason to switch to linux.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
yeah too bad for some of us ubuntu wont work.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.