Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 5138 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Ubuntu
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:21:05 AM »
What is it for? :old:

I put it on my pc.

What are the benefits?

I get the impression you can put it on a usb drive.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »

I put it on my pc.

What are the benefits?

I thought it was one of the ZIPRA/ZANLA crowd in Zimbabwe in the 80's :confused:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »
Shameful behaviour Danny :old:

All you think about is your own self gratification :old:

The GFC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »
trying to figure out if Zack is joking or...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
 :)

I downloaded Linux to see what it was all about. :)

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »

I put it on my pc.

What are the benefits?

You have the right impression. You can install it to a dvd or a USB thumb drive and boot from there without making any changes to your harddrive.

I recommend using Xubuntu - it's lighter and looks more familiar to windows users in general. I actually have made my own modified install of it which looks and feels almost exactly like Windows XP (only that it looks a lot better) :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
I will give it a go on my usb external drive :)

What are the benefits of Linux?

The GFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »

Aside from the fact it is a real operating system as opposed to an over-glorified application with more bloat than Rosie O'Donnell on an eating binge?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »

It's safe and free to use. You can install a lot of free software from the software center. If you install wine to it you can even run windows programs on it.

And you can spend endless hours tweaking and modifying it to your liking. Like make windows wobbly and burn to flames when you close them etc ;) Example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsF1bvtj97Q

Here's a site that will give you directions to start tweaking: http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/06/25-things-i-did-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
If I could figure out how to port Aces High onto linux i'd ditch windows 7 in a heart beat, I heard recently Steam made a linux port - which is a nice boost to gamers...

There are some classic games out there ported to Linux, Doom and Quake 2 for example. One of the draw backs to Linux is it couldn't run window games - I think with the boost in speed computers have now a days, there are ways to port window games - meaning you can play them on linux.

I haven't used Linux in some time, my netbook still has it installed as my laptop (once I got this desktop) I wiped clean Vista from my laptop and put Ubuntu - works great in the office for everything I need it to do.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:42:58 AM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
Aside from the fact it is a real operating system as opposed to an over-glorified application with more bloat than Rosie O'Donnell on an eating binge?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JG 52

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
I put it on a DVD and went through the setup and then it asked about partitioning my drive.  :cry

I have got my old plop XP laptop and going to try it on that :)

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
I put it on a DVD and went through the setup and then it asked about partitioning my drive.  :cry

I have got my old plop XP laptop and going to try it on that :)

If you get a live-cd you don't need to install - just choose to try it. But nothing you do will be saved.

The partitioning is really simple if you want to do it. You just resize the existing partition and create a new 15-20Gb partition for the linux, that's all you'll need for now. Just make sure you format the *new* partition to ext4 and mount it to root (/) - rest will be done pretty much automatically. Linux will detect your windows and make it a dualboot. Don't expect such courtesy from windows install though if you need to reinstall windows later for some reason.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
If I could figure out how to port Aces High onto linux i'd ditch windows 7 in a heart beat, I heard recently Steam made a linux port - which is a nice boost to gamers...

There are some classic games out there ported to Linux, Doom and Quake 2 for example. One of the draw backs to Linux is it couldn't run window games - I think with the boost in speed computers have now a days, there are ways to port window games - meaning you can play them on linux.

I haven't used Linux in some time, my netbook still has it installed as my laptop (once I got this desktop) I wiped clean Vista from my laptop and put Ubuntu - works great in the office for everything I need it to do.

Even Aces High can be installed to linux with Wine. Performance will be a lot worse than natively on windows though - and at least with AMD graphics there are some visual problems too. I think my next card will be an nvidia just to try it out on linux, their binary driver is supposed to be much better than the AMD one.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
Ubuntu... Linux distro that is your best friend if you take the time and learn about it, the microsoft crusher it is. Along with usb booting google both GRUB4dos  &  GRUB   you will want to learn those at the command line. Try  looking up pendrivelinux.com or something like that i do not rember and am posting from my phone so no copy pase links sry   :cry