Author Topic: P47 main fuel hits bug  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
Re: P47 main fuel hits bug
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
I have been flying the N almost exclusively for months, and the weak main tank is the most frustrating thing about the plane.

It has gotten to the point where I will burn internal fuel first and save a single drop tank for the ride home if I know that I will be around an enemy CV at all.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Easy FLambe BUG
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NO MORE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   
I can work around the main fuel leak.  But the Jug was the number one allied aircraft flown during the war.  Most won't touch it anymore, due to its predictable fuel leak and easy lit burner. 

Here is an opportunity for HTC to institute more of the stuff the likes of which was developed for the WWI arena and bring it into the Main Arena.  Either fix the "armor" / "damage done" or give us a new self sealing feature.

Very simple, a JUG was not as vulnerable to these fires as was the Zeke (with little armor and no self sealing tanks) in comparison.  Yet, if you have flown both in Aces High, you would swear they were both made by Ronson.

HTC,

Please respond, or ask for more specific evidence in our claims of the inaccuracy of the damage model and/ or physics.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Jugs do seem to get main fuel damage often.  :(

Can't say for sure that it doesn't happen, but I don't remember getting an AUX fuel hit recently.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
cant believe this hasnt been looked at yet ... :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
 I fly the M full of fuel and set it to drain the main first every time I take off  aux gives you 10 minutes of fuel to get home  or what ever :airplane:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
I believe it HAS been looked at. Used to be first time, every time, I'd light up in a P-47 from main fuel leak. I used to fly them often with my squaddies that love them more than me. Then at one point they tweaked it and instead I get leaks but not as many instant flames.

And the occurence of said leaks is lower. You think it's bad now? You shoulda seen back then!

(this was some years back, can't recall exact time frame. Before M's came out for sure, probably before Ns as well)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Maybe they modeled bullet passing through the turbocharger on it's way to the main fuel tank when the plane is shot from the rear.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Regardless, it is simply just as vulnerable in AH as the Zeke, which has little armor and no self sealing fuel tanks.  I don't care if there is a wormhole headed to the fuel tanks, the JUGs were known to be rugged..... not FRAGILE.  (sorry if I am loosing my sense of humor... it seems to correlate with loss of eye sight) :old:

:salute

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
The 47N has been my main for about 6 months.

I must really be lucky because I do take damage like everyone else but seldom get a fuel leak.  Maybe 3 or 4 times in 6 months total.

This is not sarcasm or belittling those who have posted about fuel tanks leak.  I really must be lucky.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
Zoney,

Maybe you have found the one that wasn't.  I mean I have no clue if any of them have separate damage models.  All that I DO KNOW, is that I a flambayed far too often, and from very little contact.  Last night, I barely took ONE SINGLE HIT from TOWN ACK while maneuvering at high speed in a P47D25 and changing angles.  From that single ping, you guessed correctly my JUG was on fire.

I fly mostly all of the JUGS and favor the Razorback.  As you can tell by my signature, this is not a passing fascination.  I don't know how long ago this thread was started by Fester, but I do know that SOMETHING HAS CHANGED for the worse, somewhere along the line.

I will even go as far as to say that I suspect there has been a difference in damage for close to 5 or 6 months (maybe less).  Could it be possible that along the time of the new B29 and new material skins, that another area was inadvertently affected?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
Not likely. I wouldn't compare field ack, which is a 37mm explosive cannon round, capable of lighting any plane (not just P-47s) on fire in 1 hit, with fighter guns.

When other players are shooting you, how many times do you light up? Because when I did it wasn't all that often. It was quite survivable.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42:45 AM »
Krusty,

Yesterday's town ack was just the latest of P47 fire traps.  The best example of what I am seeing was discussed in this thread some time ago, using offline drones.  The simple experiment supposedly resulted in fuel puncture and leak followed by easily predictable flame on second (or whatever) hit.

What yesterday's town ack does however compare with is the ease in which both P47(maybe only some models - D25 for sure) and Zeke burst into flames. 

Now, this is the bug report forum, so to keep it as far as I can from a whine, I wish to remind folks that we had the "flaming JUG" creep into game play a while back.  I can't recall right away but it was during a huge graphics update if my memory serves, maybe even the reflective water and detailed terrain version.

Sorry, I don't have the dates to back any of that up, and search showed a lot of burning jug issues, but different and the duration was complained about as well.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »
it definitely started about 2 years ago, before that I cant remember the jug bursting into flames at all, since then its a regular occurance. seems to be a single hit from puffy ack or field acks, and very occasionally from a fighter's burst of cannon. I used to bomb ships with the jug all the time, I dont bother much any more because the moment I pop over 3k after the drop its almost a guaranteed fire. ironically the last time a fighter caused it for me, it was a zero ...

(maybe 95% of my sorties are in the D25, cant speak for the other variants.)

edit: did a search of my posts and found this topic from Oct 2010 about the main tank hits. the burning tanks thing started a month or two before that, and although I was suspicious about the fires, it hadnt been happening long enough for me to be absolutely sure about it so I didnt mention it. Joachim did though in this topic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:49:18 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
I agree that it probably is too frequent, but as compared to what it used to be, 2 years back? It's been toned down somewhere along the lines, though I don't recall exactly where.

I'm not sure about the logic of the hit detection, but it's still somewhat survivable.