Author Topic: Planes Hearing GV's  (Read 587 times)

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
Planes Hearing GV's
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
Was this not done away with a LONG time ago? There was a couple of guys that said you can cut your engine off and listen for GV's. I really really thought in one of the updates HTC said they took that away.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Planes Hearing GV's
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Was this not done away with a LONG time ago? There was a couple of guys that said you can cut your engine off and listen for GV's. I really really thought in one of the updates HTC said they took that away.

No.

What they took away was the ability to turn your engine sounds way down and so being able to hear the other tank's engine running while your's were still running too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
Oh ok. I knew they had done something with the sounds. Coulda sworn it involved planes hearing GV's though. Oh well thanks for the answer

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
and planes killing engines to hear better is a RL possibility.
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
I don't think it would have worked at all in real life. But then again, you couldn't kill a tank with a jeep in real life either so I'm not complaining haha

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »
Not long ago there was a problem. When you shut of your engine, you would hear all the engines around you shut off as well,, wether they were running or not,,,, that's what they fixed, and it is fixed.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
it's wrong, but i think it's a gameplay concession.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »
and planes killing engines to hear better is a RL possibility.

In the movie, "Battle of The Bulge" there's a scene with Henry Fonda...he's in a recon plane hunting a Tiger division in heavy fog. The pilot cuts the engine and guess what they hear?

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
In the movie, "Battle of The Bulge" there's a scene with Henry Fonda...he's in a recon plane hunting a Tiger division in heavy fog. The pilot cuts the engine and guess what they hear?

Sheep?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »
Along the same lines, I was in a GV last night when an a20 flew within a 1000 yards and I never heard the engine. Heard every other engine but not that one.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »
*sigh*

Stop and think about this fellas... it is WWII and you're in a plane be it Il-2, heavy Mossi, heavy Jug, or Stuka.  You're flying over a known combat zone and over known enemy positions.  Would you seriously shut down your engine, while at 2000ft, 1000ft, or even 500ft to see if you could hear enemy vehicle engines???  Seriously.  Even if you had a momentary lapse in reasoning the noise from the wind alone would prohibit you from hearing anything from inside your cockpit with canopy open or closed.  Ever ridden a motorcycle at 30mph? Can you hear a semi tractor trailer idling as it sits 1000 ft away?  No, you cant. 

I understand making concessions in the name of game play, but if HTC can limit such things by changing the baseline sound setting then good for them.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
*sigh*

Stop and think about this fellas... it is WWII and you're in a plane be it Il-2, heavy Mossi, heavy Jug, or Stuka.  You're flying over a known combat zone and over known enemy positions.  Would you seriously shut down your engine, while at 2000ft, 1000ft, or even 500ft to see if you could hear enemy vehicle engines???  Seriously.  Even if you had a momentary lapse in reasoning the noise from the wind alone would prohibit you from hearing anything from inside your cockpit with canopy open or closed.  Ever ridden a motorcycle at 30mph? Can you hear a semi tractor trailer idling as it sits 1000 ft away?  No, you cant. 

I understand making concessions in the name of game play, but if HTC can limit such things by changing the baseline sound setting then good for them.   :aok
my grandpa told us many stories of Germans cutting their engines and flying over at night.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
my grandpa told us many stories of Germans cutting their engines and flying over at night.

Oh?  You mean German aircraft cut their engines as they flew over allied positions at night so that they themselves would not be heard, is that what you are saying? 

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Wind makes a lot of noise at 100MPH
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.