Author Topic: Basic Flight by Pictures  (Read 1429 times)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Basic Flight by Pictures
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »

:furious :bhead :furious :bhead :furious The Very Basics on Flight  :furious :bhead :furious :bhead :furious

Hope this helps...

Heading Indicator

Basic Flight

Turning and Diving

Decision Making

Images from http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
Last image from -unknown Internet source-
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:54:48 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
Re: Basic Flight by Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
 :salute nice posting

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
Looking for FeedBack

:noid

Did this help anyone?

I was thinking of making a series like this going over topics that are for NEW players.... using pictures not a wall of text to describe different things needed for the understanding of basic flight.

:salute         :airplane:~<DeadstickMac

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
Little dizzy after all that but +1.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »
Looking for FeedBack

:noid

Did this help anyone?

I was thinking of making a series like this going over topics that are for NEW players.... using pictures not a wall of text to describe different things needed for the understanding of basic flight.

:salute         :airplane:~<DeadstickMac

You really want to know.....  :devil

Honestly, with no kidding around. The pictures are too big, and by themselves do NOT convey enough information. Also the BBS is NOT a place to do this.

The AH wiki page http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/ may be a much better place. Log in there and you can build a page with the info. Make you pictures a bit smaller and save them in a different format like a jpeg or gif to make them a smaller file size for quicker loading like on phones which is one of the main ways the info is accessed....while at work  :noid.

When adding text to the pictures use simple language to describe what is in the picture and why it is important to know. Remember that many of the people that will be reading this haven't a clue what they are looking at. Good luck with your project.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Yes sir and TY Will do all of that.  :salute  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:58:57 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
Yes sir and TY Will do all of that.  :salute  :cheers:

Actually, I found it useful. I don't whether it belongs here there or etc...

One thing that doesn't make sense: Yaw always has rudder in parentheses when I see it. The rudder doesn't turn you on your vertical axis, the ailerons do that, please explain.

Finally, is there something to the wiki I don't get. All I see there are Soda's AC write-ups. I would really like more in depth descriptions of many of the AH fighters; when to do what ACM at what time against xyz opponent, etc...

TIA,
Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
To the first question, it seems you're not fully understanding the definition of yaw or the yaw-axis.

Quote from: Dictionary
Yaw 
verb (used without object) 
1. to deviate temporarily from a straight course, as a ship.
2. (of an aircraft) to have a motion about its vertical axis.
3. (of a rocket or guided missile) to deviate from a stable flight attitude by oscillation of the longitudinal axis in the horizontal plane.

I hope that clearifys the relation between yaw and the rudder.

Your last question has multiple parts to it.  The AH Wiki is not _very_ up to date, and soda's ac writeups are only abreviated desciptions.  When to do what ACM is best covered these by rolex or another AH trainer and some BFM/ACM clinics (some are hosted regularly and there are videos from previous clinics posted around around).  There are two general mentalies to fighting for success in the skies of AH in fighters - BnZ or TnB.  BnZ refers to Boom and Zoom, where you come in with a lot of punch and E advantage, and then zoom out (not slowing down and getting into a turn fight).  TnB refers to turning and burning where you're turning tight, not a lot of sped bu you're utilising your engine for its acceleration/punch to power through sustaining turns or other maneuvers - but not for staying fast.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »
To the first question, it seems you're not fully understanding the definition of yaw or the yaw-axis.

(Image removed from quote.)

I hope that clearifys the relation between yaw and the rudder.

TY for the response, however my mind doesn't connect with this illustration, there must be something fundamental that I don't get. In my mind, the illustrated pic should have the roll axis shown pointing off the wing tips, the pitch axis off the nose & elevators, and the yaw axis off the rudder.  My understanding or misunderstanding here is based off of my (mis)belief that ailerons cause roll, elevator causes pitch and horizontal movement is caused by rudder. I think my misunderstanding here could be leading to k/d ratio, no? 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
Rudder does cause movement in the horizontal axis. But it tends not to change the flight path of the aircraft permanently as the ailerons do. Kick right rudder and the plane will swing right but then center itself once you let go of the rudder. Bank right with the ailerons and your ac will turn right at least a little. Now of course if you hold right rudder the plane will want to turn right but it has to fight the lift vector to do so. When you bank right with the ailerons, your lift vector is now no longer aimed straight up but is tilted to the right. Therefore you turn right. You can test this out for yourself by doing these things after noting your fixed point. I rarely use my rudder. Don't need to because the ailerons take care of the turn for me. I use rudder mostly to either bleed speed or make a slight very temporary course correction when landing. Experienced pilots use rudder for snap shots to get the nose around for the shot. I think I have done that maybe once. Mostly in acm in the MAs I am too wrapped up in survival to remember to use rudder for the shot.

I should explain that I use rudder to bleed speed because it tends to do that really well. The rudder is like opening a big door into the wind (slipstream). It will slow you down because of the additional drag. Rudder can also be used for advanced aerobatics like snaprolls and hammerheads and whatever that fancy maneuver was that they showed near the end of the movie"Redtails." Maybe after a couple of years I can do that stuff.
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Necro bump.  :banana: