Author Topic: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector berates disabled veteran  (Read 857 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: fbhjkml
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
I tell the collector that they won the lottery and moved out of state, I figure that there is a lot of activity on that file for a while.  :lol

shamus

I usually go for the infant angle...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
Don't confuse him with facts, M...

but look at the story itself.  there are so many grammatical errors that it wasnt a copy and paste.  who really sues for "privacy invasion".  then look at this

"But in an attempt to collect on the defaulted student loan, the collector seized the money from Collier's wife’s savings account. The credit union then proceeded to freeze her account.
The Colliers filed an objection and requested a court hearing, at which the couple was told their frozen funds were exempt from such garnishment.
"

according to the fair trade act

"If you don’t pay a debt, a creditor or its debt collector generally can sue you to collect. If they win, the court will enter a judgment against you. The judgment states the amount of money you owe, and allows the creditor or collector to get a garnishment order against you, directing a third party, like your bank, to turn over funds from your account to pay the debt."

they would have known way in advance that there was a court hearing where they would have stated their objections.  and student loans can be deducted from disability payments.

this is what you an actually sue for :

Do I have any recourse if I think a debt collector has violated the law?

You have the right to sue a collector in a state or federal court within one year from the date the law was violated. If you win, the judge can require the collector to pay you for any damages you can prove you suffered because of the illegal collection practices, like lost wages and medical bills. The judge can require the debt collector to pay you up to $1,000, even if you can’t prove that you suffered actual damages. You also can be reimbursed for your attorney’s fees and court costs. A group of people also may sue a debt collector as part of a class action lawsuit and recover money for damages up to $500,000, or one percent of the collector’s net worth, whichever amount is lower. Even if a debt collector violates the FDCPA in trying to collect a debt, the debt does not go away if you owe i

it looks like the story was embellished as hell. as for the debt he is still required to pay it.  but just curious was this a student loan he got before he joined the army?  what happened to the gi bill?

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
You can loook right right here and find most of anything you need to know:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/Docket/index.asp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
You can loook right right here and find most of anything you need to know:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/Docket/index.asp

there's 2 cases that fit the descriptions of student loans.  neither one of them is for 6,000.  both are for almost 50,000 including interest and fees.  both cases are against the collier and he lost both.  both have garnishments and a default judgment was entered against him.  one also mentions a kim assuming it's the wife.  looks like both cases are for the same person but neither one states that he's a vet. and he lost both cases in which a garnishment was also entered.

i still doubt that the story as originally stated is entirely true.  looks like there was a lot of embellishments.  the funny thing is that it looks like the case is from the university of phoenix which used to be a pretty good school but now it has changed to all about getting their money upfront.  one of my gf's friends went to school for 1 day and quit, she owes 30,000 in student loans.  she never got a penny all the money was paid in advance for a 2 year degree to the school.

semp

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
there's 2 cases that fit the descriptions of student loans.  neither one of them is for 6,000.  both are for almost 50,000 including interest and fees.  both cases are against the collier and he lost both.  both have garnishments and a default judgment was entered against him.  one also mentions a kim assuming it's the wife.  looks like both cases are for the same person but neither one states that he's a vet. and he lost both cases in which a garnishment was also entered.

i still doubt that the story as originally stated is entirely true.  looks like there was a lot of embellishments.  the funny thing is that it looks like the case is from the university of phoenix which used to be a pretty good school but now it has changed to all about getting their money upfront.  one of my gf's friends went to school for 1 day and quit, she owes 30,000 in student loans.  she never got a penny all the money was paid in advance for a 2 year degree to the school.

semp

Go figure  :rolleyes:

I'm sure she signed the loan papers somewhere along the line.  The loan was for school?  Why would the money go to her?  She quit after signing the loan papers?  Sucks to be her...

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Well this is how it wall went down Semp, Bill collecter hires lawyer who sees  debtor is  court  who then proceds to  tells him)the debtor)  he cant afford lawyer, then continues to  have his staff(paralegal) call the debtor.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Debt collector berates disabled veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does, and the rest of us have to live with it.

Debt collectors are scum bags.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Debt collector berates disabled veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Debt collectors are scum bags.

fat people are disgusting
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector berateran
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »
Well this is how it wall went down Semp, Bill collecter hires lawyer who sees  debtor is  court  who then proceds to  tells him)the debtor)  he cant afford lawyer, then continues to  have his staff(paralegal) call the debtor.

look at the link VonMessa posted do a search then you will see what happened.   not questioning the debt as it is legally owed and garnishment was legally obtained.  what I am questioning is if all the insults really happened or most of it was just an embellishments by someone.  no way to tell if the debtor is a vet either much less handicappe

semp

semp

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: ‘ veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »
Must be a seperate case. No way was it filed and resolved in 5 days.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector berateran
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »

look at the link VonMessa posted do a search then you will see what happened.   not questioning the debt as it is legally owed and garnishment was legally obtained.  what I am questioning is if all the insults really happened or most of it was just an embellishments by someone.  no way to tell if the debtor is a vet either much less handicappe

semp

semp
I see your point Semp. I guess the plantiff would throw the insults in to help with the courts opinion, but for sure the collectors calls were recorded  and  they could subpoena them maybe.

EDIT: Looking at that site more  I wouldnt take anything comeing off there as  serious.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:53:24 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep