Author Topic: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector berates disabled veteran  (Read 888 times)

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
A debt collector, angered that a disabled US Army veteran was living off of disability payments, told him he “should have died” in war instead of "taking advantage of" other Americans.

­Minnesota-based debt collection agency Gurstel Chargo is now facing a lawsuit for verbally abusing the Army vet over a $6,000 defaulted student loan, Courthouse News reports.

“If you would have served our country better you would not be a disabled veteran living off Social Security while the rest of us honest Americans work our tulips off,” one of the agency’s debt collectors allegedly told the vet. “Too bad, you should have died.”

Michael Collier was declared 100 per cent disabled after suffering permanent spine and head injuries while in the Army. As a result, both Collier and his wife receive disability payments from the federal Social Security Administration, which are exempt from seizure by debt collectors.

But in an attempt to collect on the defaulted student loan, the collector seized the money from Collier's wife’s savings account. The credit union then proceeded to freeze her account.

The Colliers filed an objection and requested a court hearing, at which the couple was told their frozen funds were exempt from such garnishment.

But the debt collection agency’s lawyer continued to harass the couple. Telling Collier “he would need to get a lawyer in order to get his money back,” an unidentified paralegal cursed at and threatened him over the phone.

“F--k you!” the paralegal allegedly said, “Pay us your money! You can’t afford an attorney. You owe us. I hope your wife divorces you.”

The couple is now seeking compensation for actual damages, statutory damages, and punitive damages for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), privacy invasion, malicious infliction of emotional distress and conversion.

The FDCPA considers it abusive for a debt collector to make empty threats, misrepresent the legal status of a debt, or use obscene of profane language.

According to the Daily Beast, debt collectors sometimes use abusive techniques to pry money from the indebted because of the commission rates they receive. On average, debt collectors make 20 cents for every dollar recouped. At this rate, the Colliers’ debt would be worth $1,200 to Chargo.

Verbal harassment is a commonly-used technique to instigate debtors into making payments. In 2010, the Federal Trade Commission received 50,000 complaints about severe harassment from debt collectors, 18,000 of which included the use of obscene language.

And some say that number is low.

“That’s just the tip of the iceberg, as far as I’m concerned,” attorney Sergei Lemberg told the Daily Beast.

While Chargo's berating took it too far for the Colliers, there are of thousands of cases of abuse that never make it to court.

http://rt.com/usa/news/us-debt-collector-disabled-veteran-372/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:09:12 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: Debt collector berates disabled veteran
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does, and the rest of us have to live with it.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
Debt collector is living proof Indians fornicated with buffaloes  :mad:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
That debt collector doesn't have the balls to do anything but sit behind a desk and tell a man who fought for our country he should've died and his wife should divorce him? Over a 6K loan? I don't care how much he's getting paid to do it - Lets see him take 1 step near Iraq ...
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
er & died!’ Debt collector berates disabled veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »
Debt collector's are fun to mess with.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
fbhjkml
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
I always tell them the person they are trying to reach is deceased.  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt collector
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »
tried to research this story but all the sites that mention this story arent that reliable.  I kind of doubt that the story is true.  I remember a similar story being told back during the first persian gulf war.

the reason i doubt the story is the story itself.  if you notice that the caller is first a debt collector then it's an attorney then it switches to a paralegal.  first of all attorneys dont call to collect debt.  they have staff do it.  and they sure as hell wont have paralegals do it either.  but another thing that bothers me is that you cannot garnish anybody's wages or seize accounts without a judge's order.  and before a judge issues an order then there's a hearing.  had there been a hearing then the vet and his wife  should have showed up as they would have been summoned.  then the vet would have explained that he only had ss as his only income.  that would have been the end of it as the agency cant seize accounts without a court order.

the other thing that makes me doubt the story is that the vet is suing for " compensation for actual damages, statutory damages, and punitive damages for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), privacy invasion, malicious infliction of emotional distress and conversion"

talk to any attorney and see what they tell you about that.  seriously "privacy invasion"? what is wrong with that.

whoever wrote that message needs to go back to school.

semp
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:34:46 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ‘You should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:58 AM »
Debt collector is living proof Indians fornicated with buffaloes  :mad:

seriously the indians?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNMq8XS4LhE

semp

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
The company lending the money should not be lending money to people who dont pay it back :old:

If they are that stupid its their own fault, money lenders is the old name for them :old:

Baliffs are no better :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: you should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »
The company lending the money should not be lending money to people who dont pay it back :old:

If they are that stupid its their own fault, money lenders is the old name for them :old:

Baliffs are no better :old:

they lend money because the feds guarantee it.  student loands, child suppport, taxes, alimony and a few others must be paid back.  even from ss or hand outs.

but this story I truly believe is false.  on the other hand I do believe some disabled vets are being hounded by debts like this and that is sad.

semp

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:15:32 AM »
tried to research this story but all the sites that mention this story arent that reliable.  I kind of doubt that the story is true.  I remember a similar story being told back during the first persian gulf war.

semp

Public Record, court filings.....suit is real, not sure about the whole story

Collier et al v. Gurstel Chargo PA
Plaintiffs: Michael Andrew Collier  and Kim Collier-Dingman  
Defendant: Gurstel Chargo PA

Case Number: 2:2012cv02161
Filed: October 10, 2012

Court: Arizona District Court
Office: Phoenix Division         Office
County: Maricopa
Presiding Judge: Bridget S Bade

Nature of Suit: Other Statutes - Other Statutory Actions
Cause: 15:1692
Jurisdiction: Federal Question        
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff        
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: you should’ve served US better & died!’ Debt
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
they lend money because the feds guarantee it.  student loands, child suppport, taxes, alimony and a few others must be paid back.  even from ss or hand outs.

but this story I truly believe is false.  on the other hand I do believe some disabled vets are being hounded by debts like this and that is sad.

semp

Credit cards, borrowing money is too easy, I knew people who were jail birds and banned from driving getting loans of car companies :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Re: fbhjkml
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
I always tell them the person they are trying to reach is deceased.  :aok

I tell the collector that they won the lottery and moved out of state, I figure that there is a lot of activity on that file for a while.  :lol

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: er & died!’ Debt collector berates disabled veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:35:18 AM »
Debt collector's are fun to mess with.

shamus

How true, how true...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
Public Record, court filings.....suit is real, not sure about the whole story

Collier et al v. Gurstel Chargo PA
Plaintiffs: Michael Andrew Collier  and Kim Collier-Dingman  
Defendant: Gurstel Chargo PA

Case Number: 2:2012cv02161
Filed: October 10, 2012

Court: Arizona District Court
Office: Phoenix Division         Office
County: Maricopa
Presiding Judge: Bridget S Bade

Nature of Suit: Other Statutes - Other Statutory Actions
Cause: 15:1692
Jurisdiction: Federal Question        
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff        

Don't confuse him with facts, M...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.