Author Topic: P-38J Question  (Read 8361 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-38J Question
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
Ahh give him a proper picture. ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

It wasn't blue. It was black. It's been shown the "blue" photo is really a badly developed and OLD photo of a black plane.

Similar to the "blue" P-51Ds that really were OD, not blue.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
It wasn't blue. It was black. It's been shown the "blue" photo is really a badly developed and OLD photo of a black plane.

Similar to the "blue" P-51Ds that really were OD, not blue.

Not in this case....

It was painted blue....

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 03:00:35 AM »
Reminds me of all the photos that spawned such inaccuracies as this:

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 03:06:28 AM »
Reminds me of all the photos that spawned such inaccuracies as this:

There are numerous WWII Kodachrome photo that, because of improper storage of the negatives, the dyes degraded turning OD green into a bluish hue. Some P-51 owners either didn't know, or elected to ignore this and go for blue anyway. Most F-4 and F-5 photo aircraft were painted various shades of blue.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
what is the gizmo on the top of the turbine?...on some planes it has tubes running forward into the nacel and in the one photo it appears someone cut the tubes off.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:54:05 AM by Acidrain »

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
A lot of the small intakes, louvers and gaps you see along a P38's boom are for air to cool the interior of the booms. They have got a lot of very hot fluids (exhaust, coolant, compressed intake air, oil) flowing through the tubes and ducts in a very confined space. Even the spark plugs had their own cooling blast tubes.

The strange looking intake that crosses over the top and shrouds the center of the turbocharger is to help cool the turbines bearings and oil.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Not in this case....

It was painted blue....

I like it.  I know it is inaccurate for war time, but I once did a P38 model that I painted blue with red nose and spinners.

:airplane:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
  Ok, a similar question.

I have a friend who used to play around with car engines before he decided to go into a different line of work.  I told him that the P-38 had turbo superchargers.  He couldn't see how that would work.  You can have a turbo charger, or a super charger, not both. 

So how did this work on the P-38?  I never did get around to researching the answer.   :headscratch:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
  Ok, a similar question.

I have a friend who used to play around with car engines before he decided to go into a different line of work.  I told him that the P-38 had turbo superchargers.  He couldn't see how that would work.  You can have a turbo charger, or a super charger, not both. 

So how did this work on the P-38?  I never did get around to researching the answer.   :headscratch:

Turbochargers were originally known as a turbosuperchargers when all forced induction devices were classified as superchargers, nowadays the term "supercharger" is usually applied to only mechanically-driven forced induction devices.[3] The key difference between a turbocharger and a conventional supercharger is that the latter is mechanically driven from the engine often from a belt connected to the crankshaft, whereas a turbocharger is driven by the engine's exhaust gas turbine. Compared to a mechanically-driven supercharger, turbochargers tend to be more efficient but less responsive. Twincharger refers to an engine which has both a supercharger and a turbocharger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosupercharger
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:25 AM »
  Ok, a similar question.

Cap is right, however there have been a few cars which employed both turbocharging and supercharging on the same engine, most notably the Lancia Delta S4 Group B rally car.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
The P-38 had both crankshaft driven superchargers, which were standard equipment on the V-1710 Allison V-12 engines, and turbochargers. The two stage single speed centrifugal supercharger driven by the crankshaft was an integral part of the engine. The General Electric B series turbocharger was added by Lockheed to compensate for the Allison supercharger being a single speed unit, and as such, unable to compensate for decreased air density at high altitude.

It was possible to equip the Allison with a two speed two stage supercharger, it just wasn't done. Just another mistake by a barely functional War Production Board. Had the Allison been so equipped, it would have been a perfectly competent high altitude engine without a turbocharger, although, like the Merlin, above a specific critical altitude, power would have dropped dramatically. Where the critical altitude occurs depends upon the gear ratio in the supercharger drive. That is why/how specific Merlin engines were tuned for particular altitude ranges. The turbocharger allows an engine to hold the same power to any altitude, so long as the turbocharger has sufficient size to supply the required air without exceeding its own RPM limit. For the General Electric turbochargers used on the P-38 and P-47, the critical RPM limit was reached at around 33,000 feet.

On the P-38, the turbochargers fed the superchargers, which is standard operating procedure for engines that use both a supercharger and a turbocharger. This was even done on heavy truck diesel engines, the Detroit Diesel 8V92 TTA engine was equipped with a crank driven supercharger (found on almost all of the old Detroit Diesel two stroke diesel engines) which is in fact the basis for the "blowers" (6-71, 8-71, 10-71, and 12-71, the "14-71" is a purely racing unit) you see on hotrod engines. The numbers in "8V92" designate the engine size, a V8 with 92 cubic inches per cylinder, which had an appropriately sized crank driven supercharger, also designated 8V92. The TTA suffix denoted twin tubochargers, and an aftercooler, also known as an intercooler. So you had a 736 cubic inch diesel engine with two turbochargers, feeding a supercharger through an intercooler. The same configuration has been used in racing. It is rather complex, but if the correct balance is achieved, massive amounts of power can be made.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
Those planes also spawned the term "intercooler" to differentiate charge coolers between multiple stages of supercharging and the "aftercooler" which cools the charge after the last stage of supercharging.

Sadly, someone messed up the terminology long ago and we are stuck with "intercooler" to describe all charge coolers.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Thanks to all who helped. This is the result.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:12:14 PM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
Thanks to all who helped. This is the result.

You gonna post the picture of the final product?  You'll get bonus points for using a 479th paint scheme, don't want to sully the beautiful P-38 by dressing it up like a Fiji head hunter like those 80th P-38s.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
It is getting a 392nd FS, 367th FG "Little Buckaroo" paint job. Flown by Major Robert "Buck" Rogers (CO of 392nd FS).

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:59:01 AM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com