Author Topic: Gun control laws do they work ?  (Read 18744 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Gun control laws do they work ?
« Reply #1125 on: October 26, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

^^^^ I want to play with the putty in your avatar.  :O ^^^^
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #1126 on: October 29, 2012, 02:49:18 AM »
1934 German gun control act was nearly Identical and drafted from to write the USA gun control act of 1964....?  :furious Nazi's good examples of what to do to your country? :bhead  :old:

Hitler also developed pretty forward thinking programs of environmental safeguards and emissions control, the majority of which have been adopted by modern governments. Not saying he wasnt a meglomaniacal bigotted retard.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #1127 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:24 AM »
Hitler also developed pretty forward thinking programs of environmental safeguards and emissions control, the majority of which have been adopted by modern governments. Not saying he wasnt a meglomaniacal bigotted retard.

... and the trains ran on time.      :huh    (Where the heck is the facepalm emoticon?)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1128 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »
Total firearm related death rate...

USA       10.27 deaths per 100,000 people
England   0.46  deaths per 100,000 people..

.so yes gun control works...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:28:51 AM by JimmyC »
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1129 on: October 29, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »

I read Adolf had flatulence problems if this helps in any way :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #1130 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »

USA       10.27 deaths per 100,000 people
England   0.46  deaths per 1000,000 people..

you cant compare US to England. huge population difference. large socioeconomic difference. apples and oranges. people still die in England, they just use knives or bats instead of guns. much more civilized then a gun, especially the blood splatter patterns. make for nice mural's!

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #1131 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »

Since you're going to use the crime rate circa 2002, let's interject something a bit more recent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5712573/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html

But, as the article states, " Researchers admit that comparisons of crime data between countries must be viewed with caution because of differing criminal justice systems and how crimes are reported and measured.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “These figures are misleading. Levels of police recorded crime statistics from different countries are simply not comparable since they are affected by many factors, for example the recording of violent crime in other countries may not include behaviour that we would categorise as violent crime."

There is always spin with crime numbers.  Regardless, it seems we all acknowledge that there will always be violent crime in our societies.  Try as our police might, they cannot stop everyone in all places.  The question then becomes, why would you not want to be allowed to arm yourself? 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #1132 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »
Oops
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:56:32 AM by Triton28 »
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1133 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »

Can you post knife related and axe related deaths too?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1134 on: October 29, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
Your right... I did just lift some toejamapidia "facts"

but we dont have , here in the UK, so many killings with guns per capita as USA  so its a good thing we have gun control here , as far as i am concerned..

Now I see that in the USA there are so many guns you might as well arm yourself..everyone else has...

but thankfully we are not there in the UK yet,, thank the lord, and gun control..

Your right they are totally different places with different situations...but yes gun control works ..here in the UK

Knife crime is obviously an issue  being 4x more prevalent than gun crime..

guns for show...knives for a pro..(name that film)

lifted some more "interweb Facts"

58 Murders a Year by Firearms in Britain, 8,775 in US

By Juan Cole, Informed Comment

22 July 12

umber of Murders, United States, 2010: 12,996

Number of Murders by Firearms, US, 2010: 8,775

Number of Murders, Britain, 2011*: 638
    (Since Britain's population is 1/5 that of US, this is equivalent to 3,095 US murders)

Number of Murders by firearms, Britain, 2011*: 58
    (equivalent to 290 US murders)

Number of Murders by crossbow in Britain, 2011*: 2   (sorry no axe numbers..crossbow will have to do )
    (equivalent to 10 US murders).

For more on murder by firearms in Britain, see the BBC.

The international comparisons show conclusively that fewer gun owners per capita produce not only fewer murders by firearm, but fewer murders per capita overall. In the case of Britain, firearms murders are 30 times fewer than in the US per capita.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #1135 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
Gun control laws will work to reduce gun violence, I suppose.  It reduces the number of guns available to those that are paying attention to the law.  If most of the society obeys the law, it's a simple numbers game.

Gun control laws do not make a society safer.  People will still rob, beat, kill, and otherwise plot the demise of those around them.  If we can agree on that, all I want is for people to be able to defend themselves as they see fit.  Like I've said before in this thread, US case law suggests (and most people would agree) that an individuals safety and security is not for the state to provide.  Given that, I'll gladly take a firearm as a way to help provide my own security.  :)

I do not care what tool a person is using to harm another.  The fact that he's harming others in the first place is much more important.  If we can't figure out how to provide Utopia (even Aristotle swung and missed on that  :)), then we need to at least allow others to defend themselves.

Personally, I think we should all enjoy the intoxicants provided by mother nature.  Then we would all get along.  :angel: 
      -AoM-