Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 571 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Tattoos
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for a few years now, and after watching Ink Masters the itch has gotten even worse.  Although, I'm still faced with the same problem...I don't know what I want.  Tattoos are something that are gonna be there for a loooooooong time, and I am stuck with that feeling of if I'm going to like what a choose ten years down the road.  So, I know some of you out there are either tatted or are tattoo artists (like Ink!), but does anyone have any tips?  Websites to kind of gets some ideas? 

Thanks for any help.

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
I have always felt that if you don't know what you want you shouldn't get one

Like, it should be something.meaningful to you if it's gonna be marked on your body forever

I appreciate that some people just want some sick art on them though :)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »
I am one that thinks it should have meaning....take the time to figure out what it represents to you and then find suitable art...

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
Yeah see that's what I'm thinking about.  I want it to be unique to me, but I lack the creativity to come up with something I really like.  Like I said, it's been years in the making, and if I ever do get one it will probably be a few more years down the road.  Thanks for the input.

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
As already stated, it should have meaning to you. If you want a tattoo just to have one you'll most likely regret it later.

For an example I have the 2 passions of my life on both my arms (or 1 anyways, going to get the other done soon hopefully. Maybe I'll find time to make a trip to see ink  ;) ). These two things I value more than my own life and I wanted to express that. Now it's inked onto my body, a part of me forever.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
I am one that thinks it should have meaning....take the time to figure out what it represents to you and then find suitable art...

Like everyone says it should have meaning. I have 2 of them both on my upper arms.

The first one is a screaming eagle with USMC under it. Due to the fact I was an air winger in the corps.

The second one is of a fire fighters chimney, the front part of a helmet, with fire rescue and the number 343 on it. I got that one on the 1st anniversary of 911.

One thing people stress is don't get a girlfriends ...wife's or significant others name, paying for a cover up is a PITA. Children's names are accepted, due to the fact they will always be your children. Give it some thought and get something unique to you.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
Banshee you don't actually have to come up with you want, as in draw artwork. Basically first find a good tattoo artist and then describe what you are shooting for, the meaning, any particular visuals, how big you want it and then let them come up with something to show you.

For example, phoenix maybe in tribal style, rising out of open clouds or smoke, with X chinese characters (I actually looked up the characters for a phrase that meant something to me). A good tattoo artist is also an artist and should be able to come up with a design to show you off directions like that. A bad tattoo artist can't do anything more than trace a design and color it (sort of like paint by numbers).
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
do you know how many tattooist are actually artists?

sad to say not many in comparison to how many tattooists there are....once tattooing became a huge fad people came out of the woodwork and bought tattoo kits and became "tattoo artists".

I know tattooist that cant draw at all but can tattoo very well....tattooing like anything has a technique that anyone can learn,although becoming good at it is not an easy thing to do....imagine trying to do art on a soft.... pliable.....canvas that moves around..... answers the phone.... cry's it hurts...... and just makes it almost imposable to get good lines.....   

the art part comes into play when you want custom art and not wall flash.......he should first find what the meaning is...then do a search for images if he cannot draw it himself...bring that to a suitable artists that can take his idea's and put it to paper.....but even before that he should check out the artist and make sure he knows what he is doing, look at the persons work, look at the lines are they smooth...look at the color is it solid.....is his portfolio full of wall flash or custom art...does he have his own artwork hanging up in the studio, or is it full of wall flash.....how is his attitude, does he think because he is a tattooist he can be a rude dick.....(you would be surprised at how many of them there are)   

does he offer deals or free ink if he gets to decide on the design...many do that today and that is one thing that really angers me about the direction tattooing has taken.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
Well yeah,Ink that is rub. You need to go do some research and check into various tattoo artists. I was surprised at how many actually are artists. All the guys in both of the shops I have used (one in Orlando) and one in South Florida actually do paint, draw, etc.

The first tattoo I ever got though, back in 1990, the guy wasn't basically he took a stencil and just traced it and colored it in. For my cover up of that tattoo I went out and did a lot of research to find a good tattoo artist and for my second one did the same.

But yeah, a lot of the shops are just wall flash (as said that was what my first was back in 1990). Custom art costs way more but it is definitely worth it (I am happy with both my arm pieces. Definitely want to check out his portfolio to see what pieces he has done to see his skills at creativity and execution. Oh, and if you know people who have had it done ask for recommendations.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:53:46 AM by ghostdancer »
CM Terrain Team

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
Well yeah,Ink that is rub. You need to go do some research and check into various tattoo artists. You will be surprised at how many actually are artists. All the guys in both of the shops I have used (one in Orlando) and one in South Florida actually do paint, draw, etc.

The first tattoo I ever got though, back in 1990, the guy wasn't basically he took a stencil and just traced it and colored it in. For my cover up of that tattoo I went out and did a lot of research to find a good tattoo artist and for my second one did the same. Not sure if your area has any tattoo conventions but if you see one it is a good place to go check out artists. The shops that attend those basically have guys who can do art.

:rofl

just a heads up.... I have worked at 14 tattoo studios(quit every one of them except 1).....owned 2..... built 6 for other people,(all of them turned out to be money hungry scum bags) been to many conventions won first place a few times for my Black and grey and cover-ups.... been doing custom tattoo's for 25 years...tattooed in at least 6 states....probably tattooed 40,000+ people...taught 15 people how to tattoo..I have 100's of clients that wont let anyone else touch them, I have had people wait 10 years to find me so I would be the one to tattoo them.....I have tattooed generations of families...in other words I tattooed some couples and when their kids turned 18 I tattooed them.......15 years ago I worked for a guy that was tattooing for 30 years he was watching me tattoo and his exact words were "how the hell do you do that?" I was doing a custom cover up with out a stencil or drawing on the client straight true freehand IE just taking my tattoo machine and tattooing (his first year in business he made 275K because he has no morels and will do anything for money I quit workin for him after 5 weeks and still brought 32K into the shop)...I am probably the most known tattoo artist in this area and the most hated by other tattooist....

so I think I know what I am talking about.

and no the tattoo shops that attend conventions are not necessarily artists..obviously some are but far more are just tards who want to make 100-200 even as much as 400$ an hr.... have no morels and will tattoo anything on anybody, anywhere on them even an 18 year old's neck or hands.....and it sickens me.....I refuse to do that....I have turned thousands away over the years I wont just tattoo anything on anybody.....Tattooing is like nothing else...we can change peoples lives, we effect them forever, nothing else is quite like tattooing...it is a disgrace what people have done to what I love......that is why I stepped away from tattooing the public and now only tattoo family/friends and old clients.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Not questions your knowledge ink, just relaying my experiences, and it sounds like your are definitely a good resources ask questions of, bounce ideas off of, and ask for recommendations. Yes, a lot of tattoo shops and artists now are well worthless once you know what to look for, some aren't. I guess what are good pointers for Banshee to help him figure out how to sort out the garbage from the gems.

My current guy is in Orlando and I live in South Florida ... so three hour drive each way for me whenever I want to get work done. So yeah, find a good one that isn't a dick or a money hungry scumbag and stick with that person if you can.

I also agree about not everybody, or even most, at a convention being artists but at least you can see several people's work at once, see how they are, etc.  Again, I think we agree on know what you want, it should have meaning since you will have it for a long time, come with some ideas (pictures, photos, something), and then research, research, research to find a good tattoo artist since a tattoo is not like an etch a sketch that you can erase with a shake.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:45:30 AM by ghostdancer »
CM Terrain Team

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
Not questions your knowledge ink, just relaying my experiences, and it sounds like your are definitely a good resources ask questions of, bounce ideas off of, and ask for recommendations. Yes, a lot of tattoo shops and artists now are well worthless once you know what to look for, some aren't. I guess what are good pointers for Banshee to help him figure out how to sort out the garbage from the gems.

My current guy is in Orlando and I live in South Florida ... so three hour drive each way for me whenever I want to get work done. So yeah, find a good one that isn't a dick or a money hungry scumbag and stick with that person if you can.

I also agree about not everybody, or even most, at a convention being artists but at least you can see several people's work at once, see how they are, etc.  Again, I think we agree on know what you want, it should have meaning since you will have it for a long time, come with some ideas (pictures, photos, something), and then research, research, research to find a good tattoo artist since a tattoo is not like an etch a sketch that you can erase with a shake.

cc that :salute

"he should first find what the meaning is...then do a search for images if he cannot draw it himself...bring that to a suitable artists that can take his idea's and put it to paper.....but even before that he should check out the artist and make sure he knows what he is doing, look at the persons work, look at the lines are they smooth...look at the color is it solid.....is his portfolio full of wall flash or custom art...does he have his own artwork hanging up in the studio, or is it full of wall flash.....how is his attitude, does he think because he is a tattooist he can be a rude dick....."

thats about the best advice I can give.

he really needs to know what the tat represents first and foremost and then go from there.

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
How about a nice looking sheep?

Personally, I geuss I'm not cool enough for tatoos.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
A friend of mine had an idea I was always particularly fond of.  When you decide on a design and have it on paper, have it beside the bed and every morning look at it as the first thing you do when you get up.

If you still like the design after a year, it's probably good for you.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
Just draw a circle and tell folks you get around. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)