Author Topic: What happened to Lard?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
What happened to Lard?
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
When I was a butcher I would get asked where we kept it about once a year.  I can say it's great for drilling stainless steel.  It used to be a common household product but modern folk seem to find it pretty gross.

NPR's Planet money did a short piece on lard.  And how it was killed off by Crisco.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/10/30/163834119/episode-335-who-killed-lard
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: What happened to Lard?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
if you want lard why dont you ask the average middle age guy that plays aces high.  I think they can spare a few pounds.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
Folks got on health kicks and started wanting lean meat. Then they wanted boneless lean meat. That is why you have a whole isle dedicated to sauces. Bone and fat/marbling are what flavors beef. Remove those and what's left is not very appetizing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
Folks got on health kicks and started wanting lean meat. Then they wanted boneless lean meat. Thatis why you have a whole isle dedicated to sauces. Bone and fat/marbling are what flavors beef. Remove those and what's left is not very appetizing.

So true on that, I but all my beef from a butcher and not the grocery store ribeyes or tbones in that order
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
I have a pound in the fridge.  When I make Sauerbraten, I rub the whole roast in lard, then brown it in the Dutch oven before roasting  :rock

Need some?

I get mine from http://www.illgsmeats.com/
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
So true on that, I but all my beef from a butcher and not the grocery store ribeyes or tbones in that order
Those are great cuts. When marbeled most any cut is great... even bottom round.

If you want lard from the store call ahead so they can trim and bag it. You don't want any out of the barrel after it has been thrown in there.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TopGear

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
When I was growing up, my mom made all our bread and buns, and also baked for a restaurant and grocery store. We always had lard in the freezer, usually in 4 liter ice cream pails.  One day, I got out a new pail of vanilla ice cream out of the freezer.  I thought it scooped out a little different, but it was the first bite when I realized my mistake.

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Our local grocery store carries it in 5lb buckets.  God Bless the South!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
Yes my aunt just bought some lard and fried chicken this last weekend. It is still around at least in the south.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
Armour and John Morrell still produce Lard. You can find it in the ethnic foods section.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
When I was growing up, my mom made all our bread and buns, and also baked for a restaurant and grocery store. We always had lard in the freezer, usually in 4 liter ice cream pails.  One day, I got out a new pail of vanilla ice cream out of the freezer.  I thought it scooped out a little different, but it was the first bite when I realized my mistake.

when I was a kid, we  used to get fresh home made corn tortillas and throw in a bit of lard spread it around so it will melt like butter then add salt.  we thought it was the best thing since carnitas.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »
As a kid I remember my mom rendering pork fat for pigs we just butchered into lard.  Best part was the cracklings at the end.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »

He's still around.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
As a kid I remember my mom rendering pork fat for pigs we just butchered into lard.  Best part was the cracklings at the end.

When I travel through Louisiana I always stop and get some cracklings.  Of course I always get to much and make myself sick eating them.  :D  OH but what a joy. 

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »

Now I'm craving cracklin cornbread  :bhead

#S#

Josh
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||