Author Topic: 1 minor change to Ki-84  (Read 870 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
1 minor change to Ki-84
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
Stop the "lose all flight surfaces" feature. That's my wish. Plenty of planes stiffen up or lose control authority... this is the only one that sheds all instantly at the same time. It's not realistic and wan't like this historically.

So my wish is to stop this. Make it stiffen up, make it lock up, whatever, but leave them ON, so that (like every other plane in the game) you can recover once you slow down.

That is my wish.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 1 minor change to Ki-84
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
I agree.....even though that has happened to me only a couple times.

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:55:58 PM »
Can the Mosquito Mk VI also get this treatment so it stops losing control surfaces once you pass 480mph?

The Mosquito Mk VI has the same structure as the Mosquito Mk XVI which doesn't lose control surfaces.

I have not read of either the Ki-84 or Mosquito shedding elevators/ailerons/rudders due to overspeed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Does the E6B computer display speed in knots or miles per hour?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:57 PM »
mph, always. No knots in AH.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
Thank you.

In that case I have also found no mention whatsoever of a VnE due to this or reports of detaching surfaces through poor manufacture or materials in the literature (as is the case with the poor heat treatment of landing gear, say). I have found one snippet which makes the AH random detachment 'feature' look a bit odd and random:-

"Flight trials confirmed the excellent performance and flying qualities of the new fighter but also revealed a lot of its imperfections. First of all, some characteristics - although better than those of the aircraft's predecessors - were far from what the Koko Hombu was expecting. The Ki-84 attained a maximum speed of 624 km/h at 6500 m, a ceiling of 12,400 m, and climbed to 5000 m in 6 minutes 26 seconds. One of the pre-production machines (no. 04) with a take-off weight of 3794 kg piloted by a Doi-kin Rikugun Kokusho pilot. Shoi Shiro Funahashi. managed to attain a speed of 631 km/h at an altitude of 6120 m, climbing to 5000 m in 5 minutes 54 seconds, but that was all it was capable of.
   When pulled into a dive, the fighter accelerated to a speed of 798 km/h. but oxygen system trouble forced the pilot to interrupt this trial. In September 1943. during trials at the Koku Shinsobu, the Ki-84 was confronted in a combat simulation with the the Ki-44 and a German Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 brought to Japan in the summer of that year onboard a submarine. At the stick of the Ki-84 was another excellent IJAAF pilot. Shoso Yasuhiko Kuroe ace with 30 victories to his score — all victories according to [13]). The simulation confirmed the Ki-84's much greater agility than its opponents, although it also revealed that it was somewhat inferior to the German aircraft in terms of maximum speed and, more importantly, general behavior in the dive." - Leszek A. Wieliczko, Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate.

798 km/h = 496 mph and they we clearly not afraid to push it further. But in my experience in Aces High one (random) set of your control surfaces detach if you exceed 480 mph and above 450 mph if you make anything but the most gentle of inputs.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
Can the Mosquito Mk VI also get this treatment so it stops losing control surfaces once you pass 480mph?

The Mosquito Mk VI has the same structure as the Mosquito Mk XVI which doesn't lose control surfaces.

I have not read of either the Ki-84 or Mosquito shedding elevators/ailerons/rudders due to overspeed.

I have gotten the Mossie up to 500+ and recovered, but you put your hands in your lap and hope you come out at the bottom
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
I vote for which ever is historically accurate.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
mph, always. No knots in AH.

Lot's of nuts in AH.........................OH HHHHHHHHHH you said knots :banana:
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
Lot's of nuts in AH.........................OH HHHHHHHHHH you said knots :banana:

I should have expected such a pun from a fellow Colorad'an  :lol

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Interestingly enough - out of three high speed dives I compressed twice without buffet and tore off my control surfaces once in my Mossie VI... normally it's control surfaces every time!  It would be nice to keep surfaces, but hay ho.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
I should have expected such a pun from a fellow Colorad'an  :lol
  Where at?
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Stop the "lose all flight surfaces" feature. That's my wish. Plenty of planes stiffen up or lose control authority... this is the only one that sheds all instantly at the same time. It's not realistic and wan't like this historically.

So my wish is to stop this. Make it stiffen up, make it lock up, whatever, but leave them ON, so that (like every other plane in the game) you can recover once you slow down.

That is my wish.

How much better do you need a plane to be? Geeze leave it with at least 1 flaw  :aok

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »

How much better do you need a plane to be? Geeze leave it with at least 1 flaw  :aok

JUGgler

Hmm, I hate to bash on one of my top 5 favorite planes, but I agree. Ki-84 is just too awesome, right behind the -4 and Spit16. Even if it unrealistic, it's not that bad of a flaw to make it bad.

On a side note, drop the ENY to 10 or 15 at least.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp