Author Topic: New! Want to contribute, could use a little training to get acclimated  (Read 810 times)

Offline NoJoy

• Zinc Member
New to Aces, only playing for a few days. Love the mature community so far.  I would like to be more of an asset to the experience.  If anyone can give a newbie a 1 on 1 I would be thankful.  I'll be away for a the next week and a half.  If anyone is willing to spend a little time in the training arena with me when I get back I'll appreciate it. 

Thanks,
NoJoy

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: New! Want to contribute, could use a little training to get acclimated
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
Many good trainers in the community that are official and unofficial, just tune 200 and ask if anyone is willing and 9 times out of 10 someone will be willing.

Welcome  :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
If you go into the training arena any time after 6:00pm EST, you will almost always find someone in there who has a little experience. After 9:00pm EST there is usually one of the official trainers in. If you are in and you send out that first message though, wait for an answer or even repeat the message. Lately when I have been in, I have been practicing carrier landings. One new guy came in, sent a message asking for help with something when I was on final for the carrier. By the time I landed, he left! I am not going to throw away a good approach so I can type something in that 15 second time frame. If someone is not willing to help, you'll figure it out real quick cause they never answer but I have only run into that once or twice. The other hundred times, AH players have been very helpful. I even had a Bishop (watch out for the Bish) that had just killed me give me advice! This is a great community.

A quick note, if you are having trouble flying (landing etc), switch to a tricycle gear plane. New folks come in and select the too famous P51. Real high performance comes at a price sometimes. P51 is hard to learn the basics with. So is the F4U Corsair. P38 is much easier to take off and land. For a tail dragger, I like the Hurricane. Great easy to read gauges and easy to fly plane. If you are real good at flying but lost when it comes to ACM (air combat maneuvers), the Spitfire is excellent. I like the Spit VIII (Spit 8) for learning in the Training Arena. Eventually you will find what suits you the best.

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »
:salute mature what? sure you playing same game i am?  :cheers:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
You may enjoy winging up with some expenienced members, The 113th Lucky Strikes invites everyone to come wing up for a flight or an entire evening, we fly as Knights (always have, always will), on Saturday evenings, operations start around 7:00PM EST, Vox 113.   Check out our Wiki page.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
NoJoy, I'd be glad to fly with ya some.  Shoot me a PM, and we'll figure out what day/time will work.

:salute

Jager

AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
If you go into the training arena any time after 6:00pm EST, you will almost always find someone in there who has a little experience. After 9:00pm EST there is usually one of the official trainers in. If you are in and you send out that first message though, wait for an answer or even repeat the message. Lately when I have been in, I have been practicing carrier landings. One new guy came in, sent a message asking for help with something when I was on final for the carrier. By the time I landed, he left! I am not going to throw away a good approach so I can type something in that 15 second time frame. If someone is not willing to help, you'll figure it out real quick cause they never answer but I have only run into that once or twice. The other hundred times, AH players have been very helpful. I even had a Bishop (watch out for the Bish) that had just killed me give me advice! This is a great community.

A quick note, if you are having trouble flying (landing etc), switch to a tricycle gear plane. New folks come in and select the too famous P51. Real high performance comes at a price sometimes. P51 is hard to learn the basics with. So is the F4U Corsair. P38 is much easier to take off and land. For a tail dragger, I like the Hurricane. Great easy to read gauges and easy to fly plane. If you are real good at flying but lost when it comes to ACM (air combat maneuvers), the Spitfire is excellent. I like the Spit VIII (Spit 8) for learning in the Training Arena. Eventually you will find what suits you the best.

Teaxasfighter makes some very good points.
I don't know how many times someone has come into the TA asked for help only to leave before anyone could respond. The other is they come in and want lessons on how to dogfight but they can't even land the plane. You have to be able to control the plane before you try to fight in it. If you can't take off, land, and recover from stalls you won't ever be able to effectively fight.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »
:salute mature what? sure you playing same game i am?  :cheers:

:)

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
 Use the offline practice arena to get used to the airplane.  There is a reason new pilots do a bunch of touch and go landings.  Fly formation with the drones for a while.  When you are feeling really good about how well you fly, try flying through the bomber hangers.  I found that doing offline practice payed huge dividends when I went online.

:airplane:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com