Author Topic: Internet killer?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Internet killer?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
Your computer is old and JUST makes the RECOMMENDED MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. That means that you can run the game but you must turn down a lot of the graphics. When I had a computer that was about the same specs as yours (3 years ago) I was running the 512 textures, and most of the graphics turned down. I also had 3 megs of ram (XP won't recognize more) and while I could keep 60 fps I would get stutters in heavy graphics. Of course back then we didn't have the clouds that we have now nor the ground clutter nor as many skins.

Turning the textures down is easy. When you load the game, click on the "video" button and click the drop down under the texture and click the new setting. Close the window, close the game, restart the game and try it out. It's not like the old days where you had to wait for it to rebuild the cache and stuff. Dropping it down to 256 and trying a few flights should take more than a few minutes. If it still crashes then you know it isn't the computer running out of resources. If you have no trouble flying ....well it might be time for an upgrade.  :D

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »
I've got the textures turned down to 256.  I've been tinkering trying to figure out -exactly- what the trigger is to me losing connection.  From what I can tell so far, it's trying to launch bombers with formations enabled.  I just took a B25 C up as a single with no problems.  Earlier I did a Panzer and a Spit 8, again, no problems.  After the single B25 I re enabled formations and launched again with the same plane and load out.  Got a beacon light within ten seconds.  I can do bomber formations offline with no trouble.

As for upgrades I've been planning to upgrade the graphics card for a while.  That may be my Christmas present to me.  Thought about updating the OS but that would cost as much as the graphics card and be a huge hassle to boot since I'd have to reload every single application too.  Memory is an easy fix and I've heard adding a sound card, even a cheap one, goes a long way too just in freeing up CPU cycles.  I've got an Asus P5NE SLI motherboard with Nvidia chipset and 800 watts of power.  What would you recommend as an upgrade that gives the most bang for the buck?  Do you think I should add an ethernet card instead of using the on-board ethernet?
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
Are you using any custom sounds?  Those can cause load problems.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Are you using any custom sounds?  Those can cause load problems.

Haven't had the chance to load any.  I'm using a fresh download of the game.

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know I found the problem.  Apparently it was the on-board network adapter that was the issue.  I started to suspect it when I had the same problems with FSX multiplayer.  Fortunately I have a backup.  Thanks for all the help though...