Author Topic: Spifire Fuel Capacity  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spifire Fuel Capacity
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
Perhaps they forgot about it...

Seriously, if publications made by Supermarine themselves say it had a rear than it must have had it, regardless of what some expensive aftermarket Spitfire book says.
Given that the book was talking about experiments with the rear tanks on the prior two pages and has a cutaway diagram of the rear fuselage tanks on the prior page I hardly think you can reasonably claim that they forgot about them.

At this point the only supplied documentation supports the position that the production Mk XVIs did not have the rear tanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:51:11 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 01:09:39 AM »
Given that the book was talking about experiments with the rear tanks on the prior two pages and has a cutaway diagram of the rear fuselage tanks on the prior page I hardly think you can reasonably claim that they forgot about them.

Okay, at first you said that there is no mention of the rear tanks.

At this point the only supplied documentation supports the position that the production Mk XVIs did not have the rear tanks.

Which documentation are you referring to?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
Okay, at first you said that there is no mention of the rear tanks.
No, I said "OK, per Spitfire the History, there were tests with rear tanks, 74 gallons for the high back and 66 gallons for the low back versions."

Then I said the specifications for the production model didn't include the rear tanks.

Which documentation are you referring to?
Said book.  If you want to claim that anything short of primary documentation doesn't count, fine.  In that case we need some primary documentation that the rear tanks existed at all since wikipedia and Spitfire the History apparently don't meet your stringent requirements of "Assume they were there unless you can prove absolutely that they were not."
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
Said book.  If you want to claim that anything short of primary documentation doesn't count, fine.  In that case we need some primary documentation that the rear tanks existed at all since wikipedia and Spitfire the History apparently don't meet your stringent requirements of "Assume they were there unless you can prove absolutely that they were not."

Are you ignoring or just completely not seeing the fact that Spitfire's actual manual published by it's actual manufacturer says that it had rear tanks?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Are you ignoring or just completely not seeing the fact that Spitfire's actual manual published by it's actual manufacturer says that it had rear tanks?
I do not see that provided in this thread.

I am interested to see it though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
I do not see that provided in this thread.

I am interested to see it though.

I posted it on the previous page.

If you like I can send you the whole document.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Ah.  I am at work and most images are blocked.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
Ah.  I am at work and most images are blocked.

That explains a few things...

It says: "Later Mk. IX and all F. Mk. XVI aircraft mount two additional fuel tanks with a combined capacity of 75 gallons (66 gallons in aircraft with "rear view" fuselages); they are fitted in the fuselage behind the cockpit."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
That explains a few things...

It says: "Later Mk. IX and all F. Mk. XVI aircraft mount two additional fuel tanks with a combined capacity of 75 gallons (66 gallons in aircraft with "rear view" fuselages); they are fitted in the fuselage behind the cockpit."
Yeah, that is what is diagrammed on page 432 of Spitfire the History.  All of the text only mentions trials with the rear tanks though.  Instability and needing the be drained before maneuvering, just as in the P-51, is mentioned.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
Is this excerpt from the Spitfire manual taken from the 1946 version or from an earlier release?

The 1946 Spit XIV/XIX manual mentions an 31 gallon tank in the rear fuselage, it's usually been sealed-off and not to be used unless usage ordered for some special operations.
No such tank reported for the PR Mk. XIX

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »
Is this excerpt from the Spitfire manual taken from the 1946 version or from an earlier release?

The 1946 Spit XIV/XIX manual mentions an 31 gallon tank in the rear fuselage, it's usually been sealed-off and not to be used unless usage ordered for some special operations.
No such tank reported for the PR Mk. XIX

Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
Some of the tests with rear tanks referenced in Spitfire the History are dated post war as well.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-